Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 23 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 02-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Good Morning Ladies,

You guys are not alone in how you feel at all. I think we are all at a little speed bump. But no worries speed bumps just slow us a little they don't stop us!

I had a bad night. I decided to go to bed without taking my nightly xanax as it can be addicting and I was at 10 days in a row. I fell asleep fairly easy but it was really really late 2 or 3 am. Which is probably because I took it very easy yesterday. Anyway I ended up waking up at 4am and starting to have a panic attack. At first I was like "oh no, oh no" then I got annoyed. I told myself if I could go through major surgery and be off pain meds from the day I came home I dang sure was not going to let a panic attack get me! That seemed to work and after a while I went back to sleep. I got woken up at 9am by my mother calling (I long ago made a rule at my house, NO calls before 10am)! So this had me awake for quite a while after a not so hot night. I ended up falling back to sleep at around 11am and slept till 1pm! I am now rested but feel the oversleepy feeling. I spent a good half an hour during my 9 to 11 wake time trying to have a BM as I am soooo constipated. Finally it happened! Yaaaaaay! But expect more future issues with that. I am not sure what my plans are today yet but I think I want to be up and around more. I hope I can find that fine line and not do to much!

Hugggggs to all and remember speed bumps happen but we are strong and get through it!

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 01:43 PM

YAY for BMs! I had my 3rd post-op bm last night and OMG what a relief!!

I woke up with very little energy this morning and a thumping heartbeat so today I'm taking it extra easy. I just wish there was something good to watch on tv since I'm stuck here in the living room for awhile. MEH.
Unread 02-18-2008, 02:15 PM

Hey there everyone -
Looks like most of us are in the same boat today - little tired after some big activity this past weekend? I am doing OK, and just worried about the return to work.

I just got off of the phone from about 2 hours of calls to Aetna, Boeing Leave Management, my Drs office, then the leave management place again, then the drs. office again, etc, etc. Seems there is a lot of paperwork required to return to work and like Brier says - once you are cleared, then you have to go. I mentioned the fact to one person on the phone that when Weds rolls around i might not be ready to go back, and that just confused them and they wanted to extend the leave for another week. When I mentioned 1/2 days, the were equally confused. It was like i was the first person to ever ask these questions???? I envy those who don't have to go thru this BS.

I also found out that the Dr has to fill out a functional capabilitys form that clears me for certain activities, and if anything is checked (such as climbing ladders ,crawling, high impact vibration, andn other manufacturing activities) then i can't return to work until cleared thru boeing medical. Even if i don't do any of those things in my job (which i don't). It is such a pain. Sigh .... the wonders of working for a big company.

I don't HAVE to go back on weds, but i really want to. I can't really give any details, but let me see if I can come up with an analogy. It would be like if I were a tour director or travel agent who was putting together a huge excursion for a large group and it had a specific deadline. If that person was gone from work for a month, and none of the planning or readiness activities were taken care of, well the excursion would be at risk. That's how it is for me. I am the only Readiness Lead on my program and I feel that i am putting my program at risk, or perhaps causing a launch slip if I am not there.

The day after surgery my Dr said I could pretty much go back to work whenever I felt like it. My post op appt isn't until March 6th, so he won't be seeing me for a while. I think I will go for it on Weds, and just move really slow while I am there. I will also cut out early to avoid rush hour. My program manager will understand - he had major surgery earlier this year and almost died. His wife also had her gall bladder removed a few months ago so he knows all about recovery.

I guess over all, I just want to take care of my vagina. She's all I have left, lol. If I feel like anything is amiss after the first couple of days, I'll stay home for sure.

As for Brier - you need to get back and fix that Dreamliner so my Boeing stock will go back up, lol....

I don't have anything else to gripe or vent about. I have hardly left the couch all day - i'm like LovesToRun - it will have a permanent indentation when this is over. It was 65 degress outside here today and I did get a short walk in, but really don't want to overdo it.

Thanks for all the laughs and support!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Back sliding update

Hello to all, it seems that most of you are fairing pretty well. I am so glad to hear that each of you is moving steadily forward after your surgeries. I hope that you each continue to fair well.

Last week Wed, I went to have my staples removed. The nurse had a really hard time with three of the thirty staples. My incision opened up about an inch below my navel. The opening was a little over 2 inches long. I have been doing wet to dry dressings since Wed. They did not want to close it but allow it to drain and heal from the inside out. I have several skin tears from the other staples that were removed and a small opening about the length of my pinky nail near the bottom end of the incision.

I knew this was a possibility as my uterus was too large and wide to remove through the normal bikini cut. Though I am an RN, I really wasn't looking forward to dressing changes, but the good news is that by last Friday when I went in to get it checked, it was healing and closing up with remarkable speed. Today I am supposed to stop the wet to dry dressings and steri-strip it.

However, no worries, I have been out to the store, walking around my block and doing a couple of other things against strick doctor's orders and despite everything I feel amazing. I am a little tire and itch here and there, but that's what drugs are for.

I have fun plans for the week too. I am going back in to see the doc on this Wed and I am driving myself. Hey, she said two weeks of no driving and up till today I have absolutely, mostly followed her orders. I drove myself to my last child's delivery eight years ago and I am up for anything! On Friday I am going back to group therapy at weight watchers and I have a midterm for school on Sat. I am having a great time of it so far.

Hey, what's a little incisional reopening between friends?

Hysterectomies still rock.
Unread 02-18-2008, 03:14 PM

Karen,

I fully understand your explanation about needing to get back to work because of your job responsibility. My husband works for Microsoft, and he runs an entire team. Just him being out the week of my surgery was hard. They are shipping his product in June, so this is a crucial time.... but, like your PM, my husban's boss' wife shattered her foot a year ago and had major surgery, and my husband's boss had to be out for a couple weeks just to help his wife, so his boss is very understanding when it comes to recovering from surgery, and luckily, since he was on the same side as my husband (caring for his wife), he really understood why my DH needed to be out. He even told my husband to not even worry if he needs to leave early or come in late, or cancel meetings in the next 6 weeks. So, it's nice to have understanding bosses. But, I don't ask my husband to do much for me because I know if he misses work, it'll cause a little more stress for him since he's pretty much in charge... like you, if he wasn't around, things might slip and it could be detrimental to his product.

SO, I FULLY understand!!!

Luckily for me, my parents are around to step in and help, so it takes the pressure off of my husband to miss work to help.... especially right now because there is no school for 3 days this week due to a mid-winter vacation, and so my husband does not feel pressure to skip work to stay home to help with the kids since my parents are taking them for me. Phew. I feel very lucky to have my parents around!

Well, I'm glad you have an understanding PM... that is good, and that really helps! Just take it slow and easy.... as you say, your VaJJ is all you got!!! haha!! That is SUCH a good point... that is all most of us have. So, take care of your girl!!! ;-) She's more important than Boeing!! HAHA!!

Good luck!
Unread 02-18-2008, 03:44 PM

Karen,

Ain't all of the red tape at Boeing just a blast! It's a wonder that any planes get built at all~!! My DH and I say the planes get built in spite of the people in the offices. LOL I don't need to worry about getting back too soon -- they have brought in a bunch of retired workers to get the job done! My best friend calls me every day and updates me on the latest horrors and says, "You are so lucky to be home!"

If you do go back to work on Wednesday, make sure you take it easy. Your health is much more important that a program at work, though I know it is stressful to be home when you know you have so much at work to do. Whenever I start to stress about work, he says to me, "If you dropped dead, do you think they would manage without you? Somehow I'm sure they would." Okay, I get it. He's such a nag! LOL Just don't do too much. I'm sure they appreciate having you there. Any chance to work remotely from home? That might be another option if they allow it.

Take care
Unread 02-18-2008, 03:44 PM

Hey all...

Despite being stir crazy, I can't imagine going back to work yet!! I don't know how some of you are doing it!! Most of my work involves driving around the state then stopping at various locales, most often clinics and hospitals, and then interpreting. It's more mentally and emotionally demanding than physically, but it's still a chore and often involves a lot of walking and standing. I can't begin to imagine a physical job at this point.

I've been dizzy, almost constantly, since Friday but can't figure out why. It could very well be anemia, but since I'm already going for my post-op on Wednesday, the on call doc today didn't want to bother doing a CBC or hematocrit. The dizziness could also be my reaction to pain. I have a really high tolerance for pain and I'm guessing my body is making me dizzy as opposed to feeling pain. It's a theory anyway.

In terms of pain, I haven't had a dilaudid since Thursday night and I popped some ibuprofen this afternoon - first in a couple of days. Of course I feel twinges and some pain on occasion, but not enough to medicate it.

My sister is here helping to take care of me and while we had planned to take my car to be serviced today, plans fell apart and we spent the day either cleaning - mostly her bringing me something asking "is this garbage or not?" - or vegging. It was a dreary day anyway.

Last night I was going INSANE with itching. I felt like I wanted to open up my belly and scratch inside, not to mention the external itchiness! I had to put an ice pack on my belly to calm it down. Thank god it worked!

Weight loss...I tend to not bother with a scale and the true test will be getting back onto the scale at the regular doc's office, but according to ours at home, I've lost 20 lbs!! Now, knowing the real comparison will come when I step onto the doc's scale, I don't fully believe that for a minute, but it's nice to dream. Of course a liquid diet for 3 days and eating very lightly and healthy afterwards contributed, but I seriously can't believe I've lost 20 lbs from the hyst.

BMs...oy! IBS, irritable bowel syndrome, has me taking immodium daily so I don't have diarrhea 4 or 5 times a day. 1 or 2 BMs a day is quite enough for me, thank you.

on that note...
Roberta
Unread 02-18-2008, 03:58 PM

speaking of Boeing, I saw on the news that the 777 British Air crash at Heathrow they think was not a mechanical issue now, so that is probably good for Boeing. I was shocked when that happened because British Air has such a good reputation.... and the 777 is a good plane. We are flying to London in May via British Air (not sure if it'll be a 777 or 747), but I'm glad to hear it wasn't mechanical...

I know, totally off topic of hysterectomies.... but since there are 2 Boeing Gals here.... thought I'd just mention it.

Roberta:

My body reacted weirdly to pain, too. I was having shortness of breath every time my pain went up a notch and this put me in the ER, only to find there was nothing wrong with me. But, I think my body also reacts in strange ways to pain.

But, I would definitely mention to your doctor about the dizziness... that could mean other things. But, it also could be pain related. \

I hope you get it figured out.

I'm with you... I'm not doing much now. I'm 2-weeks out now, and I feel like I am 90! haha. But, this is my one chance to just lay low and take care of myself!

I haven't had any itching yet, but maybe that is still to come! FUN... yet another great side-effect to surgery. haha.

Ohhhhhh.... IBS and a hysterectomy... that kind of sounds like a double-whammy. I'm glad you found something to help. I have a friend with IBS, and to be honest, after me going through the digestive issues I have wtih this surgery, I really sympothize with people who have IBS. So, Kudos to you for hanging in there and rolling with the punches!!!

We'll all get through this hump!

Take care!!

ps. I just ate a couple brownies.... I'm SUDDENLY feeling a LOT better!! I'm telling you... chocolate IS the best medicine!!
Unread 02-18-2008, 06:50 PM

I have my post-op this wed. I am thinking about switching from estrodiol to estratest with testostrone. I want to be proactive about the testostrone and not let it get to low and then have to wait months for relief. The estrodio has been working great so far. Anybody out there have any suggestions ?

thanks
Unread 02-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Big companies vs. small companies vs. self-employed

I must admit that I've never had to deal with big company policies and disability insurance. When I was in aerospace I always worked for small companies who tended to pool sick leave. And in software development, they were anxious to get you back to work as soon as possible, even if part-time, because it would likely take someone else, if available, to figure out where you were in a project and what needed to be done next. Then when you did come back to work it would take you a couple of weeks to figure out what they had done to what you were working on, etc. As Fred Brooks noted in his book, "The Mythical Man Month", adding more people to a late software development project only makes it later. Some things have to be done in sequence, not in parallel. Just because it take 9-months for a woman to have a baby doesn't mean that 9 women could produce the baby in 1 month.

And now that I'm self-employed as a "computer consultant", I don't have to worry about sick leave or vacation time—there isn't any. I get paid for the hours I work, period. But since I have social security income plus my IRA, I am not that dependent on what I earn. It's largely gravy. And my boss is very understanding if I need to take time off for whatever reason. The key thing is to get the monthly billing done before I leave and get back in time to do the next months billing. In 2006 I drove cross country visiting friends and relatives along the way. The main reason for the trip was to deliver my aunt's Noritake China to her grand nieces in Massachusetts. But I visited a cousin in Canada plus friends and relatives in the NYC and D. C. areas as well as Nevada, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee and Louisiana.

So all in all I have many blessings—a da Vinci hyserectomy, a flexible work schedule, being post-menopausal so that loss of non-functional organs isn't a big concern. Even the grade 1 cancer is not a major concern. I figure the good Lord is going to keep me around for a while to look after my aunt's affairs. Neither of us ever married or had children, and there are no other relatives to take over for me within 400 miles, so it's my responsibility.

My trip to Santa Monica was very successful. When I got home I went to Daphne's Greek Cafe for a gyro pita luncheon plate. Their Greek salad is a little different than what I remember from my trip to Greece, but the Feta cheese and Kalamata olives are the real thing, and the rice pilaf that comes with it is nice. I'll probably skip supper or just have something very light.
With a full belly I decided to lie down and read and nap for a while. An hour later my ophthalmologists office called to say my new contacts were in so I drove over to pick them up. I'll go to bed fairly early on general principles. Hopefully I can get into work by 10.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register