Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 25 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 02-18-2008, 11:46 PM
return to work or wait?

Hi ladies,

Glad to see so many posts tonight. Hello and welcome to our new sisters!

I have read about a lot of you thinking of going back to work already and thought I would tell you about my day.

I do not work but I am a student although my classes are online. I have been putting off doing some of my work as I didnt know how I would feel sitting in a chair working for a some what long period of time.

I had a lot to catch up on (still not caught up) but for the 3 to 4 hours I was trying to get things done, here is some of what I experienced.....

Thought process not up to par with what it was pre-surgery
Sitting in one spot makes my incision sting
I feel pressure in my upper vaginal area
I am very easily tired
I had to take several break
Mind wanders from medical terminology (my class) to "man I wish I could just poop already" (this happened probably 10 times).

It really took a lot out of me so I just wanted to give those who are contemplating work in the next few days a heads up. If I had a job at this point I would put it off longer. I am thankful that even though my classes are technically on Tuesdays I can do them just about anytime. Once I catch up I will be spreading it out more because this was exausting!

Wishing you all well!!!
Hugggggggggs
Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2008, 06:52 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Morning all.... IM GOING OUT TODAY! IM DRINKING COFFEE TODAY!!! LOL I will probably crash this afternoon but i feel good this morning so Im going to take a shower ( after my 2nd cup of COFFEE!) go to the bank and stop for a salad at this little cafe downtown. Then im sure i will be home and back on my couch with my remote and cell phone.

Gizmax.. Im so glad you post! Loves to Run is right, by the timeyou get on Im fast (midwest, Chicago area) but it still possible for us to respond when we do get up. The whole painful BM thing is with most of us, so dont be too alarmed. Prune juice worked the best for me and i eat a high fiber cereal with fruit every morning.

Truly Blessed... Wow.. Im so glad you are home and recovering well now. Never worry about posting here, we all have stories that might help someone else down the road, and we are all here for support. I know when i first came on this sight i read a lot of the post op threads just to see what i might expect.

Sass...Im on estrogen.. requested it. Im 54, hadnt had a period since May (except for bleeding from the cantaloupe size fibroid). I was having terrible hot flashes, night sweats, sleeplessness. I was beginning to effect my work, my mood, everything. So i asked to try it after the surgery. Its helped some so far, been on it 10 days now. I still have some hot flashes but they are less frequent and not as severe. I cant really tell if its helping the sleeplessness yet because im still taking pain meds. If it werent for the symptoms i would probably have opted to not take them.
Well all.. Im going to take a shower and head out this morning! Wow that sounds sooooooooooo good, going out! lol
Take care all
Enjoy your day!
Paula
Unread 02-19-2008, 07:25 AM

Good morning all...

CindyJo - thanks for the work/school report and expectations. I have been thinking about this and I am expecting the worst since I have not been sitting for that long for a while. I wish I could get my boss to order me a recliner and a laptop to do my work. Seriously - if i weren't for the fact that I have to be in a secure facility - I could do 80% of my work from bed. Anyway, if I start to feel at all bad (pain or extra bleeding) I will go home immediately. And I really had to laugh at the "man I wish I could poop already" comment. Sounds familiar.

I have noticed in the past week that my memory seems to be a little "off". That freaks me out and I am hoping it is just temporary due to the stress and actual surgery/meds. Or maybe an effect of the HRT?

I chose to take Estrace post surgery. I was not in menopause when all this started, but it was chemically induced by the lupron for 4 months preceeding surgery. That wasn't so bad, but the hot flashes were driving me mad. I was having them 8 to 10 times a day, and I couldn't sleep and I couldn't put my make-up on to go to work, and I would break out in a sweat in the middle of meetings and presentations. My doc told me it would be worse when the ovaries were completely removed so I decided to fix that with some modern medicine. I will have to wean off of it over the next few years, but hopefully it won't be too bad. I have felt GREAT since taking the Estrace. Like a normal balanced human being. I know there are risks, but I am willing to take them to feel good again.

So far, so good today. I woke up with some abdominal cramping and thought, oh no, what is happening. But half way through my first cup of coffee, that familiar feeling took over and had a wonderful BM and am now happy to report pain free and much lighter. Lol - I wish everything in life was so simple.

It is great to see so many new people each day and hear the recovery stories. I am glad the the newbies are here - Welcome!!!

Today I am going to finish re-organizing my CD collection, mail a birthday gift, finish my taxes, and then figure out what to wear to work tomorrow. Luckily I have some elastic waist skirts that I can wear with a jacket. My office is business casual so I won't have to be in an uncomfortable suit, so that is good. I'll try not to look too dorky :-)

Sigh.... hard to believe this is almost over. When I let it sink in, I feel so happy that tears come to my eyes. So relieved that the weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Sure - i still have some fears and worries, but they are tiny compared to what I was feeling 2 weeks ago today!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2008, 07:39 AM

Hi Ladies -
Well 2 weeks in...we're all moving along hey!

I actually walked for 30 mintues yesterday and sat on the Lowest setting on my exercise bike for 20 mintues (lol...it was a bit like just spinning my legs around but it made me feel better!). I felt tender after - but happy to have a little fitness.

I still have quite a bit of numbness around my incision- its so weird to not to be able to feel my skin (though it makes it not itchy!). I'm finding that physically I am coming along okay, but I sure can tell Im not ready to deal with the world emotionally because I feel overwhelmed so easily.

Best of luck to those of you who need to get back to work right away - please be so gentle on yourselves!

Side notes - I too have lost about 12lbs since pre surgery (hoping its not all my biceps! lol)

My night sweats are slowly getting better (thank goodness i can sleep more than an hour!)
Unread 02-19-2008, 08:00 AM
return to work or wait?

In the beginning my dr. said to take a loa for 6 weeks and perhaps I could go back to work at 3 weeks. So I did the loa for the 6 weeks. Last friday I went into work to pickup my paycheck and have lunch with some of the girls. I also realized that there was no way that I was going to be able to return to work at 3 weeks. My job is very physically demanding and involves lifting, sometime I can log 8-10 miles on the pedometer at work. It was a little dissapointing to me to think that I could not bounce back as fast as I wanted. However once I made the decision and informed work, which by the way had no problem with it, I became more content. I tell you what my dr. told me about how I might recover has come true. She said that because I just had major surgery 8 months ago that I will not bounce back as fast as someone else. She was right. Hey, I am also have the brain fog issues. Sometimes I feel soooo stupid. I have an idea that having the two surgeries so close together that I have double brain fog.
Well I hear the rest of the family is up and moving so I will go for now.
Unread 02-19-2008, 08:10 AM

I'll write more in a little bit, but just wanted to say to you Specs.... have FUN on your outing!!!!!

I also wanted to say based off of your posts, I seriously did not know you wer 54! I thought you were in your 30's. Actually, same with you, Karen.... I know you're 48 becauase it says on your signature, but I also would have thought you were in your 30's for sure. haha.

How old is everyone else?

Isn't it funny how we get an impression in our minds of someone just on what they write? You all here seem my age or younger (I'm 36)... That is a compliment!!!!

Ok, I'll write an update on me in a little bit.....
Unread 02-19-2008, 08:34 AM

Hi
For those who are having trouble with BMs, have you asked your doc if you can take Colace? I was having pain and a bit of bleeding with BMs the first week, even with prune juice, lots of water, lots of fruits and dates, and my doc said to pick it up (over the counter in the US) and its made all the difference.
I'm 47, BTW. I guess I should add that to my signature--it does make a difference. Fia, its great to see how active you are and even more inspiring when I see your age!
Deb
Unread 02-19-2008, 10:56 AM

I made it! lol. I went to the bank, the grocery store, just bought a few things, stopped at a departement store for a few new long sleeve t shirts,and the to Panera for a chicken caesar salad i love! Felt so good to be out, and at the moment Im not that tired. A little sore.. I drive a big SUV and getting in and out takes some effort. But all in all i feel pretty good.
Here in Chicago, with the cold and all the snow, we have a lot of potholes.. and large deep ones too. Im sure i looked pretty funny driving around even the smallest ones in a big SUV, suprised a policeman didnt stop me for weaving thru traffic! Ha ha.
Anyway, im home, feeling okay. I was truly beginning to wonder if i was ever going to feel good enough to get back to the maniac way of life i usually live, now i know its possible.
And yes, Loves to Run, I am 54, my kids are 30 and 27, I have a 3 year old grandaughter. I admire those of you who are recovering with children around, I pretty much have only my schedule to worry about, my kids have been helping me. My son took me to my first DR. appt, my daughter made dinner one night last week, my son-in-law has been over a few times to take Logan my golden retriever for a bit of a run, they have all been incredibly helpful.
You all have a great afternoon.. i am happy to be posting something positive today!
Paula
Unread 02-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Why am I crying?

Is anyone else having days where everything makes you cry? My surgery was Feb. 5, and every 3 or 4 days I just sit and cry and the stupidest things.
Unread 02-19-2008, 11:09 AM

Yea Paula!! What a great report!! You go girl :-)

My opinion is that age is just a number. I choose to still enjoy the things that I have always loved, like rock music, climbing mountains, and hanging out with fun people of all ages. My last true love was a man 12 years younger than me. We both thought that we were the same age when we met, but later found out that he was 31 and I was 43. Oops. After 3-1/2 years together things didn't work out, but in the meantime I kept young with him by learning to ride a motorcycle, hiking, camping, rollerblading, mtn biking, etc etc.

I hate the thought of having to change my ways just because I am not "young" anymore.

My goal for the next 12 months is to get in shape for a major excursion next year. My 23-year-old son and I want to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro in the spring. It will be the toughest thing I have ever done, and I don't want to travel half way around the world and then fail. I have summited 15 of Colorado's 14'ers, but that is nothing compared to a 19,000' + peak with regards to altitude sickness, etc. Now I am ecstatic to be able to look forward to that adventure since the surgery is behind me, and I can start training in a few more weeks!

I am also tossing around the thought of doing the Avon breast cancer 3-day in October. That is 60 miles in 3 days. Definitely a challenge, but very worthwhile cause. Now that I have up-ed my change for breast cancer by going on hormone replacement, it hits even closer to home.

Well, nothing extraordinary to report. Finished the CD collection re-org and now on to lunch. I am starving and am NOT one of the lucky folks who have lost weight this week. And if i did, it would only be from my muscles turning into jello, lol

Have a great afternoon everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register