Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 02-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Well I am home and doing well. I got to keep one ovary and my cervix. The pain is managable only taking Motrin 600 every 5 hrs. I just have to sit a lot and that is hard. I am getting up to shower and go to the bathroom, other than that I am sitting a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:42 PM

Hi ladies

I'm about 4 weeks post-op and just wanted to encourage you. If you follow 's orders, you will see progress daily. to the post-op side.

I finally have the energy and time to try and track down some sisters that I have talked to on the pre-op side.

I haven't talk to all of you, but am praying for your recoveries just the same.

Missy, Loves To Run, and Karen - I have been reading your post-op reports. I can tell that you all are doing well and I am grateful to GOD for that. Even with minor setbacks we can still find joy in our recovery. I remember reading posts on the pre-op side about how nervous you were, but I am glad that things are going well for you.

Has anyone seen a post from Jax? She's one person that I was "on the look out for" and didn't see.

Blessings on each of you ....
Unread 02-09-2008, 06:07 PM

Thanks, Renee!

I was so grateful for all the help, advice, comfort and prayers when I was on the pre-op side! I'm happy to give back to the women who are still waiting.

I thought of several people from this forum on my surgery day. I got up at 4:45 AM and I knew Jax was having surgery around 8:00 AM, which would have been 5 AM my time, so I prayed for Jax at 5AM, 8AM her time. I haven't seen her pop on the board yet. It will be nice to hear from her.

I also thought of you, Renee, on my surgery day and knew you were praying and thinking of all us sisters going in for surgery.

I just thought of so many of you who had supported me!!

Thing are going well, and I do think each day gets a little easier. :-)

Take Care!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2008, 11:25 PM
evening of day 3 post op - the much anxiously awaited BM, lol

Well, Loves to Run was right on the money. Evening of post op day 3 the big BM moment. Woo hoo. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be reporting my digestive progress on an internet forum, but this group has made that seem normal and supportive. Much thanks!

I also got out for 3 walks today. The first was about 1/2 mile and the 2nd and 3rd were about a mile each. I have to take very slow steps, and the 3rd walk I was really tired, but my friend held my hand and made it seem easy. SPent the rest of the evening on the sofa with a good movie.

My goal for tomorrow is to have my mom take me to Barnes and Noble to pick up some books. She will be leaving on Monday morning and I will be on my own. All the friends will be back at work and that will be tough. I do still have a house full of food and clean laundry, so it should be OK. I also have a good friend who might come stay with me after work during the evenings this week. That would be great to have the company and help!

Well, off to bed. It is way too late.

Looking forward to hearing how the rest of the feb 4 - 11 ladies are doing. Hopefully very well.

Prayers and happy thoughts to you all!
~karen
Unread 02-09-2008, 11:49 PM

Karen,

I'm so envious right now! I'd LOVE to be able to walk as much as you have!! You are amazing. This is the most inactive I've been in honestly, I can't remember. The thought of walking even 1/2 mile right now is just MUSIC to my ears.

But, my doctor made me PROMISE him that I would not walk more than I need to. I think he'd kill me if he found out I walked 1/2 mile or even a mile. haha.

But, I'm guessing LAVH is a much easier recovery than TAH. Get a good walk in for me, ok!!! :-) I know I'll be back up to walking and then eventually running soon. My poor muscles are wondering what the heck I'm doing by not using them! haha.

I'm happy you are doing so well!! That is awesome. I haven't gotten out of the house yet. But, I still have a hard time sitting up for a long period of time, and traveling in a car does not sound fun. But, I also have a 9 inch incision on my abdomen, so I'm sure that is WHY I feel that way. :-)

It sounds like things are great.... that is awesome! I really am doing great, too. I feel SO lucky to have so much help. My parents are so awesome. They live 10 minutes from us, and they have pretty much put their entire life on hold for all of last week and this next week. They are just helping out any time I need them. They told me they are at my beck and call! wow... I feel like royalty or something. haha.

Anyway, so even though I'm not walking 1/2 mile or longer yet... my walks are about 100 feet right now. haha.... I have nothing to complain about! I'm starting my NEW life == pain free life == and I have so much help. Plus, I do feel really good.... just can't wait to feel even better!

I have a personal trainer, and he and I have been emailing about every other day. He's been making me feel really good, too. He's been just encouraging me and just being in communication with him almost makes me feel like I'm working out! haha.

I also hope all of the Feb. 4 - 11 ladies are doing well! Can't wait to hear from more of you!

Take care!!
Unread 02-10-2008, 07:29 AM

For sure - a LAVH is easier to recover from that TAH. I was so scared when I was first diagnosed, my doctor subscribed a TAH for me because of much scarring and endometriosis. She did not specialize in laproscopy, and also said that my condition would make it difficult to impossible to treat without a full abdominal incision. I didn't want that so I got a second opinion, and my new doc was 80% sure he could do it laproscopically, but no guarantees. The first thing i did when waking up in recovery, well right after screaming for meds, was to feel my abdomen to see if there was a big incision. I was sure there was cause i was in so much pain, but no, just 3 little ones. Whew, what a relief.

I have extreme admiration and concern for you sisters who have had TAH - a much rougher time in the first few days after surgery. I would expect that after a week or so, things equalize, but for now you are going through much more healing and pain.

I was off the percocet exactly 48 hours after my surgery and now just about 600 mg ibuprofin every 4 hours, and feeling pretty good. I think I overdid it yesterday and now I am more sore that I thought I would be. Today will be just lounging around and maybe a trip to the book store. The weather here is blustery and cold today, so I can't be tempted with a walk.

My stomach is all bruised up and they are growing and turning purple/yellow. Twinges of pain all over, and general achiness, but nothing severe. I have no problems walking up and down stairs and have to remind myself to slow down so I don't slip and fall. But in general, i feel great. I have had the best sleep the last few nights. No night sweats ( I was on lupron for 4 months before the surgery, and now on estrogen for hormone replacement), aches, pains, or stress. It feels peaceful and wonderful to wake up refreshed in the morning with out a backache or cramps. Yeah, my belly looks gross and is all swollen and sore, but wow - everything else is great!

Loves to Run - your husband would work for Boeing perhaps? I thought of that when you said you lived in Seattle. That is who I work for - in the IDS (integrated defense systems) business unit doing space/intelligence mission systems work. They are a great company and the work is very challenging. I need to get back as soon as possible and it is very hard to stay away. Although, like my boss said - they are all crazy there!! But that scares me the most - what are the"kids" screwing up while I am away, lol.
Unread 02-10-2008, 07:41 AM

Hi Everyone-
I just joined this site today after i woke up at 5am for the 3rd day in a row wondering "is that how i am supposed to feel today?".

I had a TAH on the 4th and I think I am mostly on track with where people are are at (thanks to all who got here before me!). I hear ya on the intestinal drama- sheesh.

I am starting to feel less hazy and can stay awake longer and stand slightly straighter but the pain and swelling are still quite intense. I find i have to remember to take my pain meds right away or if i forget for even 1/2 hour the pain gets quite intense.

the part I am having trouble with right now is the hormones. I hadn't considered that having one ovary taken out would have such an impact but i am having such intense night sweats that i can barely sleep. I can literally be in bed (in a cool bed) for 10 mintues and wake up literally soaked (and i'm not generally a sweater!) Anyone else going through this? I'm new so i'll go check out the hormone boards too but just thought i'd start with the ladies who were in the same week as me!

I'm hoping for a walk outside today...I'm missing fitness like mad. I bet even the fresh air will be a treat.

Thanks all, off to read lots!
Unread 02-10-2008, 09:51 AM

Hi everyone, my first post, I've been lurking a while now. I'm 36 and I had a TAH on the 6th due to submucosal fibroids, kept my ovaries. My DR said it went well, the first day in the hospital I was throwing up constantly, stomach juices and dry heaving. anyway, that was agonizing. They changed my pain meds to percocet and it stopped. Then I guess the air from opening me up during surgery got trapped up under my lung and diaphram and up in my shoulder and I thought I was going to die, I couldn't catch my breath. They gave me some heavy pain meds and it finally helped...ahhh, I kept thinking I'm not sure I made the right decision to have this surgery!!
I got my staples out on the 8th and they sent me home. Did ok the first day, my bowels weren't moving yet, so I was very bloated and felt blah. Took milk of magnesia to help and the next morning finally went to the bathroom, that was Friday, felt great all friday, until late evening. started having the gas and bloating again. very bad lower back pain. am taking percocet every 3 hours. the incision looks ok, I have those steri-strip things on.
One thing is, the section right above my incision and down to about 1/2 inch below is completely numb. Is this normal? The DR sprayed something very cold on me before removing the staples and I had assumed it was a numbing agent or something since I had feeling there before I left the hospital. The right side of my incision hurts, and in the hospital they said that was the most common area for the worst pain. The left side hurts from my bowels being all messed up and bloated. I've been walking around my house at intervals, sitting, lying down, not doing too much, but making sure I'm up.
I'm just reading other experiences and feel I should be feeling better than I am. I have to call the DR tomorrow to make the 2 week check up appt.
Today I've decided to go back to nothing solid to eat, trying activia, soup, stuff like that to see if it doesn't help a bit. My abdomen is very swollen, I feel like instead of removing something from me, the DR implanted something! LOL
Good luck to all you gals, and take care of yourselves. Feels better to just sit and write some of this stuff.
Unread 02-10-2008, 10:11 AM

Hi Karen,

In some ways, I'm glad I had a TAH because I'm SO active. So, by having a TAH, I'm literally forced to not do much at all these first two weeks. I just can't because of the discomfort and not being able to be very mobile. If I had had a LAVH, honestly, I think by day 3 I would have just started doing way more than I should. I know the first couple weeks are critical with internal healing, so I'm glad just knowing my personaly and lifestyle that I'm reminded literally every minute that I need to lay low and not do too much the first couple weeks. So, for me, I think a TAH was appropriate (even though of course, this is NOT the reason I chose a TAH.... I needed a TAH because of my situation).

My doctor DID mention ONCE at my pre-op about the possibility of a vertical incision. I looked at him and very intensely said, "ONLY IF IT IS LIFE OR DEATH WILL YOU DO A VERTICAL INCISION ON ME!!" I was dead serious. HAHA!! He said he was SURE he wouldn't. But, I had a worrisome vein that showed up on a CT Scan that went from my uterus to my kidney, and he really wanted to look at the whole thing. He said the only way he could look at the entire thing is to do a vertical incision. But, he thought that was pretty radical. I definitely agreed. So, he said he'd do the c-section cut and look at the vein as best he could, and stick his hand up the rest of my body to feel the rest of the vein he could not see. He said he was 99% sure the vein would be fine, but he said in that 1% chance that there was something very worrisome about the vein, he'd have to result in a vertical. So, going into surgery, I wasn't TOO worried because I knew it was a very very very slim chance I'd come out with a vertical, BUT I do remember once I was alert just lifting up the covers to make SURE I only had a c-section cut. haha. So, you and I did the same thing. I woudl have FREAKED if I had a vertical.... but my doctor knew I would only want that if truly it was life or death! HAHA!

Today I feel really good! I'm so excited. I haven't had a Percocit since 4 AM and it's 9 AM. I have been taking them every 4 hours, and I just took a perscribed ibuprofin. I'm going to see how long that'll take care of the pain.... although, I do start to feel achiness come on, so I don't think I'm off the Percocit.. blah!

Hi Lemonwest!! Welcome! I'm glad you're doing well!! I TOTALLLLLLY relate 100% to you when you say that if you are late taking your pain killer the pain just suddenly comes on. That is SO true. I'll be feeling fine, and then all of a sudden, the pain just HITS and I'm scrambling for my Percocit! I hope this will end soon... I've been told to expect this to go on for a full 10 - 14 days. ugh! Oh well.... thank GOODNESS for pain medication.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Karen, no, my husband does not work for Boeing. He works for software GIANT who is known around the globe and is based out of the Seattle area.... give you 3 guesses. HAHA!

I have a good friend here in Seattle who works for Boeing in the Defense Division (or whatever it is called). He works on "Pilotless Spy Planes". He is in sales, actually, and travels a TON.... travels all over the USA mostly. I am sure he's been to where you live. Have you heard of this division? He loves his job, and has told us a lot about it (as much as he can tell us). It is so interesting.

ok everone!! Have a great day... keep on posting the updates! I love to read them. It makes me feel NORMAL!! :-)
Unread 02-10-2008, 03:39 PM
MsCarla2u

Blessing to all!

SAH

Well I had my surgery on February 7th, my DH and I arrived at the hospital at 6:30 a.m. for an 8:45 surgery. The surgery went well, they had to remove my right ovary because it was covered with endo, I kept my cervic and left ovary.

My DH was shown the pictures of the fibroids and the size and could not believe I suffered through the pain for so long. I did well in the recovery room and had a private room afterwards.

I did not do the morphine drip well I had not eaten anything all day and the morphine made me really nauseated I threw up twice before they finally stopped the morphine and tried a different pain medicine.

The first day I was pretty much out of it, but I did have a lot of family who kept my DH company and I knew they were in the room. The second day was so much better, I got the leg wraps and catherer out and was able to take walks down the hall. I also ordered solid food and was able to keep it down.

I got released the third day but I still have not been able to have a bowel movement. I am not having any serious gas pains yet, but my family is taking very good care of me. I had very little lost of blood and no discharge as of yet. I have percusate and motrin and they seem to be controlling the pain.

I am taking it easy and following orders so not to get an infection in my incision.

So stay positive and follow orders and stay in touch with HysterSisters because all the information you have given me was totally helpful to me.

Surgery done and loving it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register