Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 02-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

LOL.. thanks Karen, made me laugh ( and hurt ) too! Im sure it will do the trick. All in all Im in better shape than i thought i would be 1 week post of of an TAH. I wish i lived somewhere warmer where i could get outside even for a brief walk. Im near Chicago, and its 9degrees with 2-6 inches of snow predicted. But ive been doing laps around my home as much as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 02:57 PM

Hi everyone,

Today I'm 1 week post-op. Still on pain meds, but I feel I'm making progress each day in terms of recovery. I'm trying to get up as much as I am able, but not over doing it.

I do have to go back to the doctor tomorrow. Long story short (there is a post with more details on this somewhere on the Post-op forum that I started), I have been having a hard time getting a really good deep breath when I stand up and when i walk, and I also have a hard time finishing a sentence when I am talking while I'm standing up or walking. I find I have to stop and take a breath mid-sentence to finish the sentence.

I thought this was normal and figured it was just my body's way of reacting to surgery.

But some women on this site encouraged me to call the doctor because they said this was not normal.

So, I called the doctor today, and he's in surgery today, so i talked to the on-call doctor. They want me to come in tomorrow to see my own doctor. We all think this is pain related... so the pain is worse when I stand up or walk, so it kind of knocks the breath out of me. But, the on-call doctor said if I think this is NOT pain related then to go to the ER ASAP. But, I'm sure this is pain related after troubleshooting with the nurse on the phone today.

SO, I hope this is not a set-back, but mabye just a change in my pain meds needed.... I'll see tomorrow.

Other than that, I'm still regular in the BM department. haha. And, seem to be doing everthing else fine.

I didn't sleep well last night, though.... not sure why. I just was not sleepy. Weird.

So, that is the scoop with me!

Oh. I'm drinkng pear juice. That seems to work well for me in getting things moving. haha.
Unread 02-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Urerus-free! (children mentioned)

Well, I went in for my surgery on Feb. 7. It took about 2 hours. He removed both ovaries due to endometriosis.

I woke up in a bit more pain than I might have expected (I have a very low tolerance for pain). Got sick from the morphine, so they switched me to Percoset, then Vicodin. I was really glad to go home at noon the next day!!!

The worst part for me is the gas! I'm walking around the house and peeing constantly, but it takes awhile to work its way out of your system. The Swelly Belly band is really helping with the swelling. DH is amazing! Not only is he my nurse, but housekeeper, chauffer and homework-checker for my daughter, and all around great guy!

I'm on Estratest for hormone replacement. Doing okay with it so far.
Looking forward to feeling better, and I really appreciate everyone on this board!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 04:09 PM

has anyone had an organized hematoma or know anything about them
Unread 02-11-2008, 06:07 PM

Hi all,
My surgery went well on Feb 4th and I came home on Feb 7th. I had a total abd. hyster with everything removed (not sure of the abv for that one) this is the first time I have been downstairs and on the computer.
My fibroid was the size of a small football.

I did great during surgery and recovery don't remember waking up in recovery at all - just waking up and seeing my family in my room.

I had elevated heart rate so they kept me an extra day but found no cause other then pain and stress.

I am having the staples removed on Wed. YAAA and now am covered with hives so I am taking benedryl now that the pain meds are not needed any more.

I still have not had a bm but have plenty of gas - I am hoping that will happen soon as I feel like I have to go but just cant. I am taking colace for that as well.

M
Unread 02-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Need help/info

I had a Total hysterectomy on Tuesday the 5th. My uterus was very enlarged and I had extensive adhesions due to two c-sections in the 80's. My Doc said he had to do some scraping due to the adhesions. I am still in pain but most of the time it is tolerable.

I was discharged from the hospital before my first BM and had troubles when I got home on Friday. I was taking stool softeners and drinking warm liquids but still not going. So I called the after hours line to my doctors office. They advised me to take MOM (Milk of Magnesia). Since then I cant seem to having soft bowel movements (which most of the time I am greatful for). Starting today (no longer taking any stool softners or MOM) I began having terrible cramping in what I assume is my bowels (well since I have no uterus any longer). These pains are so intense I cry out with each wave. I have noticed one area or my bowels seems to be sensitive and can tell when fecal matter or gas passes that area. It is uncomfortable to say the least but these new cramping pains are so bad I am scared. My husband even got scared on this last bout of them as I was crying out and whithering in pain. I have left a message for the after hours nurses at my doc's office but no call back so far. Has anyone experienced anything like this at all? I shuld mention that a bout of diareah <sp> followed these pains this time and now the pain has subsided.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I hate that my first post here is negative as I saw this site and was so excited to see it existed.
Unread 02-11-2008, 07:44 PM

Wow I am so happy to hear how well each of you is coming along. I am sore a little bruised & beat up but other than that I feel amazing! I will say that I was taking colace but my aunt went to the store and got an old remedy. Now I am not making any recommendations to get bowels moving other than walking or what your docs have suggested, but she bought me this liquid to drink called magnesium citrate. OMG with 2 hours I got a clean out that, in truth, kinda scared me. I've been having soft bm since the initial blow out on satuday.

Please don't take anything without consulting with you doctor first, even a laxitive.

Hyserectomies rock, keep getting better.
Unread 02-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Scary surgery but on to healing

Well, I'm happy to be home after 3 nights in the hospital....the first of which I spent in ICU. Surgery went ok, but apparently I had something called a vagal reflex or vagus/vagal? response (or something like that..it's still all kinda fuzzy in my head) during surgery. Not sure at which point it happened but I think it may have been fairly soon after they started. Surgery was only supposed to take about an hour and I went in around 9:15 but when I looked at the fuzzy clock in the recovery room it was after 1:00. So I'm not really sure on the timing of everything. My nurse came right out and explained to DH that when they clamped off the uterus my heart rate went down...down...down....and apparently then stopped entirely and they had to use chest compressions to get it started up again. He said he knows it seems like an eternity to hear that someones heart stops for 6-10 seconds but DH really appreciated the fact that he was told. The nurse also said that it is not entirely unusual and does happen during surgery sometimes and that there should not be anything I should be worried about as far as it having any long term after-affects. He then told me in my groggy state that the dr. had explained to me what had happened before they told DH, but I have absolutely no recollection of any conversation with the doc post-op. That anesthesia stuff really puts a person in la-la land!
While we were in recovery, the anesthesiologist and my dr. both said I could go up to a regular room in the women's center but the nursing supervisor there said no, that she wasn't comfortable being in charge of my care that night if anything else should happen, so they decided the ICU for at least one night would be the best place. As my nurse told DH, 'if this were my wife, that's where I would want her to be'. They had me hooked up to a heart monitor and oxygen, IV's and whatever else, and honestly I was so sick that night I was really glad to be there having someone looking out for me. Up until about 5pm I thought I was doing ok managing pain and was so happy to not be nauseous from the anesthesia. And then it hit after that. Between the morphine and the anesthesia it was not a good night. Morphine is NOT my friend. That is really ugly stuff and I have no idea how people can get hooked on that! I only once managed to get out of bed around 10:00 that night, take about 5 steps to the door with DH and the nurse helping me, turn around and get back into bed and that was it. Much throwing up, slow heart rate, not breathing regularly....I was a mess. It was a loooong night with very little sleep.
The next afternoon I was finally ok'd to be moved to a regular room and spent the next two nights there. Battled more nausea Th/Friday but by Sat. was fairly under control. Came home Sat. morning around 11:30.

I've tried finding anything I can about a "vagal response" or whatever it's called on the internet but haven't had any luck for anything specifically related to a hysterectomy. On one hand I really don't want to obsess about it, but on the other hand I'd like a little more info. And I'd like to know who did the CPR so I can send him/her a card and say THANKS!

The one thing I didn't like and thought was a tad unprofessional was when a couple of nurses asked about my 'episode' (felt like I was wearing a sign those 3 days that said 'Yes, I'm the ONE) and one who wanted to know if I had any experience of going towards a light or anything else like that. One used the term 'asystole' and how it technically means dead. I don't know if they were each trying to impress the other with what they knew, or just trying to make light of a scary situation, or if it's just such an odd thing to happen in our little neck of the woods that they were really curious about it. I don't think they quite realized that to someone outside the medical profession it's a scary thing no matter how 'common' they may say it is.

At any rate, I'm so happy to be home, AND, as odd as this sounds, able to feel pain My chest did hurt for a day or two, but then everything hurt so it didn't seem out of the ordinary. Had 15 staples that they took out on Sat. before I came home and replaced with steri-strips so now am able to shower. Biggest problem right now is just trying to find the right combination of high fiber foods and drinks to get all systems back to normal. I know we're all in the same boat on this subject, lol!!!

Sorry for rambling on about all this... I think I just needed to get this story out of my system and be able to let it go.

I've really appreciated all the great info this site offers. It made for well informed conversations with my Dr. pre-op! And now I'm on the mend and happy that the big event is behind me. Looking forward to getting back to my cycling class and doing a little spring XC skiing. Though not for several weeks!
Happy healing all
Unread 02-12-2008, 05:27 AM

I can't believe all the posts since the last time I was on! It seems we're all pretty much going through the same things.

I started running a 101.9 fever yesterday and had to call my doc. who prescribed an antibiotic. My incision looks good and my retocele repair seems fine. The only thing I can think of is maybe I have a bladder infection. It doesn't feel like I'm peeing glass yet but my bladder is uncomfortable after I void. He said if it gets any worse to call his cell phone and head to the ER. UGH!

I've only been home 4 days I don't want to go back to the castle!!!
Unread 02-12-2008, 06:38 AM

Good Morning all.... Im 8 days post op and really tired today. Finally yesterday for the first time got the bowels to move, and it hurt like crazy because it was pretty fast and furious! I felt better last night , but this morning i feel tired and nauseated, and i have more pain than i did yesterday. I wasnt trying to push yesterday, but i think i must have strained something. Im trying to stay off the vicodin because it does make me groggy and weak. Soda crackers and ginger ale seem to really help me with the nausea. I am just going to take it easy today. Yesterday was my 1 week post op appt and my daughter was here for the afternoon, so i was considerably more active than i had been.
Anyway, hope every one is doing well. this is the first day i will be really alone all day and Im looking forward to it.
Paula

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register