Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 50 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 02-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Wow your lucky you can drive ---I am 3 weeks post op and MD said drive at 4 weeks post op. I am counting down 7 more days till I/m set free- Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 01:33 PM
MsCarla2u

Good afternoon everyone,

I can really relate to Paula and Karen's comments about not getting a good nights sleep. I did not sleep well last night either. My dr. prescribed Ambien for me and I try not and take them everyday, but my DH keeps telling me that I should take them more because they make me relax.

But I tossed and turned most of the night and did not rest well, also I incision had a little discharge this morning and it freaked me out. I called my doctor and told the nurse what was going on and they asked me the color and I did see a little blood on the alcohol wipes but I was not in any pain or fever.

I did have night sweats last night and felt a burning sensation but after I showered and cleaned my incision again the discharge had stopped, my doctor told me to monitor the incision and make sure I cleaned and dried it at least a couple times a day and call if I started to fill feverish or the discharge started again and was not clear or a little brownish. Let me know if anyone else has experienced this?

I have driven a couple times only a short distance to get some fresh air, but I too cannot turn around very well so I will wait a little longer before I try again.

I guess we all are going stir crazy but it is the best advice to rest and let our bodies heal completely. The day will come when we all will look back and these weeks and laugh .
Unread 02-25-2008, 01:57 PM

Afternoon.... Well as much as I am sorry to hear of some of the set backs, Im glad to know Im not the only one. I was really discouraged this morning. I am the first to admit I am not a good patient, but I was so tired of being in pain and not feeling good. I did call my DR today. She is a sweetheart, told me she would be glad to see me if i thought i needed it, but all in all after talking to me she thought i was doing okau, if maybe a little slow. She did remind me that I am ..um..how did she put this???,..... not exactly 20 anymore! lol....and with age it does take our bodies longer to heal. Thanks for that! But she is right, and she reminded me that just because something doesnt hurt doesnt mean i should do it. Bending to pick things up has never bothered me or hurt, so i may have been overdueing that. I also live in a raised ranch, lots of stairs, up and down to get the mail, do wash, get to my car, etc.. Even driving has not hurt at all, and i have been out every day except fo yesterday for a small drive to the store or the mall to walk or to have a meal with friends. She strongly recommended i slow that down for a few days also. Im still frustrated but at least not worried that its more than just normal healing, normal for me.

Kathy, I would not at all be suprised if having your family around makes it harder to heal and take care of yourself. I am amazed at those of you going thru this recovery with small children to manage.. even with help, you are the Mom, you know them best, and while i know you can put their care to some degree is someone elses hands, its still on your mind. So, you could be very right, just as my being 54, even though i am an active 54 and dont feel 54 is a factor in my recovery. I had breakfast with friend again this morning and he said " We will be out taking pictures this summer.. think of all the beautiful wild flowers we will have to photograph by then. So.. thats my focus, thinking ahead to summer when i can get back out to take pics and romp with the golden and bike the paths here. Right now its cold and raining and 3-7 inches of snow is predicted..why would i want to go out! lol

Carla, I have not had to do anything to my incision except shower and towel dry . The steristrips are coming off on their own, there were about 14 and i think Im down to 7-8. But i do get that burning sensation, above the incision, its like i have a sunburn, tender to the touch, and yet when i do touch it, its almost numb? Weird feeling.

Nrwood, how are you? Let us know how you are doing?
Have a great afternoon all... we will have to set a date, say July 1st, when we come back and post how great we all feel .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 02:11 PM

Hi
I love the idea of getting back on to celebrate, how about July 4th, that should be easy to remember--Independence Day!

Its so gorgeous out and I just want to go walk and I did do a small walk (30 min) but I know if I do more I will pay for it.

I have no pain at my incision or incision problems (which is great, have had prior incisions open up) and I have still got about 7 or so steri strips. My pain is on the sides, internally...I assume where the doc had to cut things. And a weird burning in my hips--not in the joints, sorta on top of them. All I can figure is that is another place the uterus was attached. I did nap today. I will cook today. And I will do pretty much nothing else (except drive my son to school.) Sigh. It would be ok except there is this growing mound of paperwork that I really should deal with--stuff like our taxes, that can't wait too muich longer. Stuff that I really don't feel like DH should have to deal with given how much of the housework and chaufferring he's had to pick up , when he has a new job in a start up company.

But, I also know he's going out of town next week for 3 days, and again on the 16th for a week, and then the next week, when I will be first going back to work, he takes my daughter on college tours and I'll have to manage alone with my sons. I really thought that would be no big deal but now I'm beginning to wonder. Thank goodness for neighbors. And I may just end up doing takeout every night.... my poor son really is going to end up feeling like Cinderella!
Deb
Deb
Unread 02-25-2008, 02:19 PM
feeling sick

Hello All~

I have not been able to keep up with the posts....I haven't had good luck with my recovery. Today is 2 weeks since surgery. Last night I began to oooze from my incision..ended up in ER and they sent me home on augmentin. Still oozing alot. The nurse said this morning that it is ok as long as I don't have a fever...any experience with this? I am afraid I am going to end up back in the hospital...I was in ICU for 3 days and then normal hospital for 4..not fun

My recovery has been slow...I feel like I can't do anything for myself, and it is hard to let others do things for me. I just want to feel better. I can relate to so many of you...no sleeping...sweating..and so on.

I am thankful to be able to read your stories, even if I haven't felt up to posting....

Thank you for all your encouragement....

Sarah

35 TAH 2/11/08 LSO 2/11/08 Lost 6 units of blood and needed blood transfusion. Still low hemoglobin...
Unread 02-25-2008, 02:21 PM

Hi Deb,

I also have that same burning feeling on my hip, but only on my right hip. And, my right side also hurts... my left side has been totally fine through my whole recovery. Weird.

So, now you got me curious... I don't know if this was specific in your case, or if this was more of a general statement, but you said that you wonder if the burning in your hip might have been another place where your uterus was attached. Now I'm wondering the same thing? But, is your uterus tethered by something (a ligament or tissue of some sort) all the way over toward your hip bone? Anyway, now you really have me wondering why I have this burning sensation on my hip.

I have always thought it had to do with my appendix being taken out, but I see from your description that you did not have an appendectomy, so I am wondering why my side hurts.... sometimes I wish they would have video taped my surgery so I could see exactly what my doctor did and maybe that'd answer a lot of questions why i have pulling feelings in certain places, and burning feeling in other places, and sharp pains in other places, etc. etc.

Oh well....

I know what you mean about not asking DH to do even more....I'm the same... because I feel like he's doing so much already!
Unread 02-25-2008, 02:28 PM

Kat123, what kind of surgery did you have? I'm wondering if it was more extensive and that is why the 4 week ban on driving.

Loves to Run Kathy, my doc sent me pre op a website on hysterectomies, I plan to go look there. But I'm pretty sure the ligaments must have attached there... I had thigh pain with my first kid and with the fibroid pain, so the contractions must have pulled on my thigh muscles. I can post the website if people are curious.

Nicole and Sarah, please let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it--Sarah, it really sounds like you have been through the wringer--you poor thing!
Deb
Unread 02-25-2008, 02:35 PM

Yes, I'd love to see the web site! Please post it, or PM it to me, whichever you prefer.

Thanks!!! that is so interesting to think the uterus is possible tethered to the hip... I never thought of that. I just wonder why one side hurts and the other doesn't?? I'm sure if it's tethered to one hip, it has to be tethered to the other, right? Hmmmm.....
Unread 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM

This Thursday will be three weeks and I am so stir crazy even though I don't feel well. I had three discs removed from my neck and received new ones from a donor, metal plate and 6 screws last March. So I thought I would be better prepared for this recovery time, but it's worse for some reason. This surgery came as a emergency even though I had been working with my doctor since last September about the problems I was having. I think he kind of dropped the ball on me. I had already had two surgeries on my ovaries in the past 6 years (ovarian torsion and multiple cysts on the ovaries and tubes the second time). So now after two ultrasounds showing a large cysts on my left ovary he asks me to come back in 6 months!!!!!! for a follow up ultrasound. I knew he was crazy and even called him on it and he said I had nothing to worry about and it should resolve on its own. Well two weeks later there I was at the ER with another ovarian torsion on the left (the first one was on the right). I think he was embarrassed at the hospital after I had informed the ER doctor and nurses of my recent ultrasounds and his decision to come back in 6 months and then of course the outcome of me being at the ER for help because he had not given it to me. It was all very dissapointing but yet after I had left his office two weeks earlier I knew it was coming because of the way I felt physically. I feel bad from the surgery and also like a victum at the same time, the doctor was very cold and distant at the one week appointment to remove the staples, so now I am not looking forward to the one month appointment. It's like I have no doctor to speak with or ask questions, leaving only my husband who is feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment with all the extra slack he is picking up. I can't wait for this recovery to be over!!!!!!! Reading the posts from all of you has been so very helpful, and makes the experience a little less lonely. Thank you all.
Unread 02-25-2008, 03:07 PM

About the hip pain...I had/have pain there - feels bruised on top of the bone and burns/hurts. This is more ont he right hip then the left. Ia sked the surgeon and he said that it hurts because thats where they had the tool (cannot remember what he called it) that held open the incision and stretched it VERY WIDE so that he could get in there and work. I only asked about the right hip but he answered right way - and said of course it feels bruised/hurts and will for a while due to this tool being there. maybe they attach the tool to the hip bone? But both hips hurt - just the right more then the keft.

Jax

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register