Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 55 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 02-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Speaking of sleep or should I say lack of sleep or if you do sleep it is crappy. Any ideas out there. The ambiem did not work for me and I have a call into the dr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Two things that have helped me--drinking lots of water early in the day and not so much later, so that I didn't wake as much at night. And using pillows to prop me so I could side sleep, my preferred position.
I have had occasional days wehre I wake and can't fall back to sleep, I just attribute that to the natural stress of the situation...but not too bad. I think maybe some of it in your casemay be hormonal given the BSO, have they started you on hormones and if so maybe they need adjusting?
Deb
Unread 02-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Yes I do drink lots of water during the day and like you say limit it at night. I also prop with pillows. Have been on ERT since surgery and is working well. I have even tried being more active during the day. Only thing that does is make other things worse. I really don't want to drug myself into the stupids either. Had morphine detox and withdrawl with the spine surgery in August. So I am a little scared of drugs. But at this point not sleeping is probably worse. Thanks for the help

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2008, 12:04 PM
MsCarla2u

Good afternoon,

I hope everyone is having a good day, and Karen congratulations on returning to your normal life, but still listen to your body and rest when you need it. I plan on going back to work on March 17, and if I keep feeling like I feel now then things will be great.

Dawn, I am glad to hear you are on the mend again and I hope things continue to go well for you.

Like I said yesterday my doctor prescribed ambiem for me and this seems to help I do not want to get dependent on these so I don't take them every night but the nights that I do I rest more comfortably than when I don't. I cannot speak for others, but I have been told that since our bodies are healing and trying to get back to the status of normal we will experience some difficulty sleeping.

My suggestion is to not go to bed without any pain meds if you are the least bit uncomfortable because for me with the abomdinal incision it is hard to sleep on my side and that is what I am used to doing.

Also use a heating pad/or cold compress to comfort you this has helped me out when I was experiencing a lot of pain. Also remember your sleeping patterns before the surgery. Well ladies that is my 2 cents worth I hope it helps someone.
Unread 02-26-2008, 01:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm doing well, and it's about noon. I just took a nap, and that was nice. But, the burning pain on my right side is coming back now. I didn't have that hardly at all this morning. I wonder how long it takes for a Percocit to really get out of your system? I just wonder if that Percocit I took last night at 11 PM stayed in me up until like 10 AM? I know on the bottle, it says, "take every 4 - 6 hours when needed", but I really wonder if that just helped me feel better this morning (even though it was past 6 hours)? Who knows... can you tell I like to overanalyze things? haha!! All I know is that my achiness and burning set in around 10 AM out of nowhere.... now I don't feel so comfortable. I'll take some Tylenol.

I drove the kids to school this morning, and surprisingly did better than yesterday. I wonder if yesterday I was just nervous? Or, maybe it was just driving for the first time since surgery, and today my body was more used to it?? I have no idea.... but I feel OK now driving the kids to school each morning this week. But, I'm still gonna have my parents p/u the kids after school.... just don't want to over-do it and take any chances.

Cindy: I'm glad you don't feel abnormal! I'm just glad I'm NOT the only one who is worrying about this recovery. I just do NOT want to set-back this recovery because I want to get back into my normal life come 6-weeks. So, I'm so aware of every little thing I feel and then wonder if it's normal or not.

Cheryl (K9Krazy) - I SO know what you mean about how dogs KNOW when we are hurt or healing. It's like they have this empathy inside of them or this instinct inside of them to take care of us. I had knee surgery 2 1/2 years ago, and I was laid up in my bed for several days (recovery was NOTHING like this..... I was up and back to normal activity within 10 days). Anyway, during my recovery, Scooby would NOT leave my side. My bedroom is upstairs and his food dish was downstairs. He would not leave my side and my husband actually had to take Scooby downstairs to get him to eat! He just laid on the floor (not my bed because I didn't want him to touch my leg), and he just laid there and he'd sleep (or pretend to sleep), but the second I'd move, his eyes would open or his head would pop up and he'd look at me. And, I SWEAR I saw in his eyes this empathy and love... I know.... it takes a dog lover to really see this.... but I swear if he could talk, he'd be telling me he wishes I was better. Anyway, honestly, my dog was more caring and empathetic than my children. I have thought several times that it would be nice to have a dog right now during my recovery because they DO know you are hurt and they are gentle and show care.... they keep you company. Anyway, so I totally know exactly what you are saying. :-) I'm glad you have your dogs (kids!!). :-)

As for those who are having trouble sleeping, since I kept my ovaries, I am not having hormonal issues, but I do wonder if that could be part of the problem? I do not know if this is even comparable, but my mom started to go through menapause a few years ago, and she went on a HRT, and she used to complain how she suddenly couldn't sleep and it was so frustrating. It took a while for the doctor to adjust her HRT so she could finally sleep. she's fine now.

I agree with whoever said don't go to sleep w/out taking pain medication if you're still having pain. Sunday night I had some pain, but chose to not take pain meds thinking I'd just sleep through it. I was so wrong. I could not sleep, so I took Tylenol, but by the time I took the Tylenol, the pain was too bad for Tylenol to fix it. But, then I didn't want to take a Percocit because I had just taken Tylenol. I ended up getting like 2 - 3 hours of sleep... I felt awful on Monday. Monday night, I took a Percocit before bed, and slept great.... I woke up once or twice only to adjust my sleeping position, but fell back asleep again fast. I feel more rested today, but still have pain.... I really hope you can get sleep!!! I really really do. I'm so sorry sleep is hard for some of you.

Karen.... I'm SO happy you are doing so well. Seroiusly, I look at you and know that one day I WILL feel like you do! It is just so encouraging to see that somoene in our Feb. 4 - 11 club is feeling so good.... it gives me hope that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel! I think it's good that you are not going to CA afterall. I know it's dissapointing because you were looking forward to it ('cause of your b-day, etc), but maybe it is a blessing in disguise that you are not going!

Hey, do you ever work with anyone from the Seattle Boeing branch (someoen who flies to VA)? The reason i'm asking is because I totally forgot about this, but I have a friend who works for Boeing (a woman) who works in the high security intellegence (I'm saying that wrong... but the same division as you.... )... she can't talk about her job and has been given special clearance to even do what she does. Anyway, she flies to VA a few times a year to do work there. I don't want to say her name on here just to protect her identity since it's a public forum. But, if you work with anyone (a woman who is in her early 30's) who is from Seattle, I wonder if it could be my friend? Doubtful, though.... Boeing is so huge.... I just am not sure how big your division is over there in VA?

Ok, take care everyone!! Glad to hear from everyone... it's fun to read how you all are doing!

-Kathy
Unread 02-26-2008, 01:52 PM

Jax and the very bad, very sad, horrible day.

Ok – everything got to me today…and I broke down hysterically crying. The flood gates opened and it all came out. Here is the story;

• Monday: 02/04/08: TAH/BSO
• Tuesday 02/05/06: Had to be catheritized in Hosp 6 hrs after they removed the Foley as I was not urinating. They drained my bladder and then I almost immediately got a bladder infection. Surgeon ignored it when I was in Hospital –
• 02/06/08 – went home
• 02/08/08: went to Surgeon and complained of the bladder issue and asked for a culture (having lots of trouble urinating, weak flow, little output, cloudy, smelly, burning – you name it). Got a script for an antibiotic.
• One week later 02/15/08 – back to Surgeon asking for another culture as I did not feel like it had been cleared up. Sure enough – E. Coli still teeming..new script for new antibiotic
• 4 days later 02/19/08: back at surgeon for my 2 week check up. Gave me a painful internal; I asked about a 6 week check-up and he said not to come back – to take my hormone issues to my gyno, take my bladder issues to a urologist – only come back if it relates to the actual surgery as he does not like the Dr stuff on either side of the surgery – he just likes surgery. Told me to wait 6 months before seeing the gyno and wrote me a script for HRT. Said good bye.
• 2 days later 02/21/08 I saw my Endocrinologist as I have Thyroid cancer and thus hormone issues which will be compounded as a result of the ovary removal. We will be working together quite heavily to get my Synthroid adjusted and try to prevent more bone loss. He said no HRT unless I need it to relieve symptoms. Said I should discuss with my Gyno (and report back as HRT affects my Synthroid and thus what he is doing for my cancer situation) So I made an appt with her.
• Took my last antibiotic Sunday night – 02/24/08
• 02/25/08 Yesterday :Wanted another urine culture but too scared to go back to the surgeon as he said not to come back – take my issues elsewhere.
• 02/26/08 Saw my Gyno today – asked for a urine culture. They let me know they were displeased as I should have gone back to the surgeon – that this was his issue not theirs as it was a result of the surgery. They took the culture but said to either go back to the surgeon or go to a Urologist – that this was not theirs to handle.
• Gyno also said that I should return after my 6 week appt with the Surgeon. I told her he did not want me to have a 6 week appt – that he said not to come back when I asked for it. She said I must have that appt – that he has to check everything and that I should call and get the appt and say she said so. I asked again – even though he said not to come back? She said YES!
• Came back home and called the surgeon to make the appt. They said that he did not need to see me. I said the gyno said I needed to see him. They said why did you see the gyno – the surgeon said to wait 6 months. I said because my Endo wanted me to – as they have to work together on my cancer situation yadda yadda yadda –(so now they are upset that I did not listen to the surgeon on that score either) well they were still hesitating and then I just LOST it – he does not want to take the culture – the gyno said he should have/he does not want to see me- the gyno says I should have a 6 week appt . I just felt so unloved and in the middle of doctors who just want to push me off onto other doctors and just so sad and I started crying and crying and crying so hard that I could not even talk to the nurse any more. Eventually I got control and she made the appt.

I still feel awful and sad and I am scared to face the surgeon alone in three weeks – because he will probably give me a hard time about coming back for ran appt he does not think I need but my Gyno does.

Thank you for letting me vent.
Jax
Unread 02-26-2008, 02:07 PM
MsCarla2u

Jax,

I am just mortified at the way your doctors are treating you. Do you have any support person who can go with you the the doctor? You need information right now I don't want to scare you anymore but this sounds like very unprofessional service. You are paying these doctors to treat you and you should be able to demand that this is done.

I am going to keep you and your doctors in my prayers for them to have the good sense to do what that are supposed to do for your good health.

I am just so upset at your situation that I can't understand how any doctor can treat their patients this way. If you cannot get any good service from your doctors you may have to look at contacting the medical society about them.

Please keep us posted on your updates and I know with all our support you will have it here I just wish some of us where closer to you in person.

Sorry if I vented to much, I just can't believe this behaviour from your doctors.
Unread 02-26-2008, 02:09 PM

Jax.. I am so so sorry you are caught in this mess! Its totally wrong! I hate hearing about things like this, its so unfair. Do you have a primary care physician that could help coordinate things at all? If not, I know its hard to keep pushing when you are given the run around, but keep going. You deserve good treatment!
I wish there was more I could do to help you.. vent all you want though, its so unfair to be sick and then have these issues.
Unread 02-26-2008, 02:13 PM

Oh Jax, that is just plain horrible. Frankly your gyn sounds like she is probably right and the surgeon is the screw up here. But the gyn should have stepped in since teh surgeon was screwing up... In any case YOU should not have to put up with this. I think the idea of having a second person go with you in three weeks is brilliant--its always helpful but in a case like this it should be someone who can speak up for you when you are uncomfortable...I'm so sorry you went through this...
Deb
Unread 02-26-2008, 02:21 PM

Wow, I agree with what everyone has said so far. When I read your post, Jax, I was in complete and utter disbelief that doctors would even treat a patient this way. This is very wrong, and they need to know that they are wrong.

I agree with Carla, you need to find someone who can be your advocate... someone who has not just been through surgery and has a clear mind (not saying your mind is NOT clear, but just going through surgery, sometimes it is hard to really be a strong advocate for yourself). I think I remember you saying your DH was out of the country for a couple weeks, right? Well, do you have anyone else who can help you... someone who is forthright and will not let these people treat you the way they are?

What is your insurance like? Do you have the ability to go to a totally different doctor... someone who cares and can just step in at this moment to help?

Wow, I'm mortified, and your surgeon is not using good judgment. I have never heard of a surgeon who ONLY wants to deal with surgery, but nothing before or after. As long as you are recovering you are in HIS care, and you are technically still in recovery....

I will keep you in my prayers. Please hang in there. I would be JUST as emotional as you, so don't feel bad for breaking down. You have every right to feel the way you do. This is situation is just plain absurd!

Please keep us posted on this whole situation.... I hope you can find a doctor who is on your side!

Take care,
Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register