Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 58 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 02-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Sarita... Wow.. you have really been thru so much! I am so sorry that has all happened to you. Please take care of yourself! You are in my prayers.

Im doing okay today,, much less pain, still very tired. I slept from 930 to 830 this morning, but i was up off and on most of the night. I sleep until about 2am, then wake up several times for the rest of the night. I did go and get my nails done this morning, and my DH and i are going out for an early quick dinner tonight i think. We are both suffering from cabin fever and need to get out. I have been doing pretty well with the hot flashes, but today while having my nails done one hit me, not as bad as before, but im a little worried that when i go back to work they will kick in again. I keep my home fairly cool, but my office is warm, so i guess i will just have to wait and see. They are significantly better than they were though.
Everyone take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 11:14 AM

Dear Jax,

Does your surgeon have a partner, or someone else who can do the 6 week post op appt? This surgeon sounds like a nightmare. It might be an opportunity to have your gynecologist recommend someone else, considering the circumstances. I can't believe (he?) did an internal at 2 weeks. My doc just asked me questions and looked at the scars (LAVH) and said he would do an internal at the 6 week point, which was good for me as I was a little scared going in at the 2 wk and thinking he might start poking around! It was just too tender at that point. I don't think there's ever an inappropriate time to seek a second opinion. Quite frankly, I wouldn't go back to this guy. He has such an attitude, who's to say that he'll even pay attention to what he's doing. I may be against protocol, but I would explain the whole situation to a new referral.

I'm so sorry that you have been subjected to this kind of treatment. You could write a letter expressing your dissatisfaction, to the local Medical Society. I would.

There are loads of compassionate, competent surgeons and docs out there. You deserve one!

Many blessings to you, dear.
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:29 AM

Hi sisters!
My back aches today! I thought I might have pulled a muscle or laid wrong somehow last night. The checkpoints e-mail that I received had mentioned achy backs and I believe it. If it were anywhere but in my shoulder blades I would be worrying. Has anyone else had any trouble with this issue? In every other regard I am doing great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 12:03 PM

Hi all...

Jax, your doctors certainly seem more than a little insensitive, especially that twit of a surgeon. They should also be collaborating, something they don't seem able or willing to do. I'm also guessing your DH is in the military, making a change of doctors not always easy. That stinks.

Someone suggested bringing a friend to your appointments, someone who could clearly advocate for you and not be caught up in the frustration and emotional issues involved. I'd go even further and ask that friend or advocate to actually make the calls to the doctors and demand further treatment, testing and collaboration. If you don't have anybody, my sister lives in Jax and I can put you two in contact. She can do a good butt kicking

As for me...note to self and advice for others...if you're 3 weeks out from major abdominal surgery, an awesome concert may help the morale, but it's gonna wipe you out completely. DP and I went to NYC (about 90 mins from home) last night to see Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood together in concert. Absolutely amazing and I'm really glad we went, and yes, I did have a couple of $7.25 beers. We got home after 1am, in bed by 1:30, and I just dragged myself out of bed around 1pm! 12 hours in bed!! Ok, so a Dilaudid last night helped that, but still, 12 hrs! And, even though I said I'd drive at least part way - not into the city itself since I can't yet turn around to deal with traffic - DP drove both ways and I rested. So sweet of her.

And yeah, Dilaudid last night. I didn't do much dancing in my chair, but definitely couldn't avoid enjoying the music and I'm sure I moved too much. I was also in my wheelchair for the first time and pushing more than just down the hallways in rehab. DP did push when she could, especially up inclines, but she couldn't push all the time. I was trying to be very aware of using my abs and not using them too much, and I was holding my belly when I needed to, but I know I overdid it. Planning to take it very slow the next few days and hope I didn't hurt much inside.

Roberta
Unread 02-27-2008, 12:03 PM

Hi
I find that if I don't walk, my back aches...and that ithelps if I consciously try to stand straight up when I walk.

I'm having an achy day myself, nothing major but irritating...maybe partly because I've been sneezing and that definitely still hurts!
Deb
Unread 02-27-2008, 12:14 PM

Roberta,

What a fun evening you had!! I'm glad you were able to get out and do that.... very cool!!! I'm so dying to just get out.... when my DH gets back in town from business, I might see if we can venture out to dinner or something.... I need to know the WORLD still exists beyond my own home! haha.

Sorry.... can't remember off hand who asked about back aches.... but I agree with Deb... if I don't stand up straight (which it's hard to stand up straight still, and my tendency is to hunch over), then my back just starts to kill.

I think I over-compensate my back muscles becasue I don't want to use my abs. We do this subconsciously, too.... anytime a part of your body is injured (which I know technically our abdomen is not "injured", but it IS healing), other parts of your body will compensate more to make up for the muscles that can't do their job well. This is just how our body works, and then you start to notice little aches and pains and other muscles and you wonder why.

I know about all of this well from my running. This is how, as a runner, or as any athlete, really, you can tell if you have the start of an injury or a tight muscle or somethign is wrong.... if you start to notice other muscles are over-compensating and you start to notice aches and pains that aren't normal. Often, this is because one part of your body is not working right due to injury so the other parts are working harder, therefor causing pain.

Anyway, so watch out for your backs. What I like to do is sit down on my couch and put a pillow right at the arch of my back, and then I'll tilt my head back as far as it can go, pull my shoulders back as far as they can go and that is a good way to stretch your upper back without using your abdominal wall. Also, just stretcing your neck and shoulder muscles really release tension in your back.

I just try to do all of this to keep my back from becoming one big charley horse! haha.

-Kathy
Unread 02-27-2008, 12:25 PM

Oh, remember I said I went out to Target and bought some tummy flattening/support undies? Well I tried them on and despite getting a size larger than what I thought I needed, within 10 minutes was getting lightheaded and feeling woozy. They came off quickly! Back to my boxer briefs! I really do love them...just enough support, wide band and no chafing.

If I have to deal with a mini-period at some time, I'll gladly wear regular women's panties for the pad, but otherwise, I'm quite happy with my boxer briefs. Apparently, so are my innards right now haha.

Roberta
Unread 02-27-2008, 12:53 PM

This is the first time I have created a post on this site so bear with me. On 2-4-08, I had a TAH with ovary removal so am now a 37 year old menopausal women. I had significant adenomyosis, endometriosis of the tubes, and a large hemorrhagic cyst. During the surgery, they also removed adhesions around my colon. I have been in an out of the hospital over the last six months with issues tied to these problems, so I am happy to have this all over with now.

I am having some difficulties with the recovery. Due to the anemia I had prior to the surgery, I had to have a blood transfusion and received a few Procrit injections after the surgery. This really made me tired and lightheaded until my blood count started to increase. I went home after 5 days in the hospital with a vertical incision and a JP drain. The doctor created a small hole a few inches away from my incision for the drain tube to come through, this helped drain excess blood from the abdomen. I started having fevers a few days after the surgery. They ran tests and blood cultures in the hospital that at the time didn't how infection. The on and off fevers continued and the doctor wanted me to come back in for more tests. They took urine cultures and cultures from my JP drain which both came back positive. The doctor prescribed antibiotics and the fevers are now better. I am just still experiencing a lot of exhaustion, some nausea and lightheadedness. Monday is my 4 week mark. I was really thinking I would feel better than I do at the moment but will give it another few weeks. I am still very thankful for the wonderful doctors that have been caring for me and for having the surgery so I have a chance to really feel good soon.
Unread 02-27-2008, 01:24 PM
MsCarla2u

Good afternoon all,

I want to welcome Sarita and Texas, I just read your comments, and my prayers are with you both. Sarita, I have a daughter named Shereta pronounced sha-rita that is very similar.

I hope you and your baby boy are improving everyday, sounds like you really had a difficult time but thank God you have a beautiful baby boy to make it all worth while.

Texas, I am so sorry to hear about your hard recovery process, but you just listen to your body and keep the doctors informed of what is going on. I am 20 days post op today and at 50 feel a little guilty because I feel great.

My DH has been like a sergeant and does not let me do much, he still does not understand that I do have to get some excercise. I have driven a few times this week but I am still not comfortable with driving far by myself.

I too go back to work on March 17, and a part of me is looking forward to getting back to my normal life and the other part is wondering if I am going to be able to handle it.

Jax, I do hope you are getting the care you need from a competent physician. I hope you realize that you come first and these doctors owe it to you to make sure your body is healing properly.

Roberta, sounds like you had a ball last night I am jealous, I can't wait to get out and enjoy the world a little also. Deb, I hope your back starts to feel better and Kathy's advice was right on the money. I hope everyone else is having a pain free day and taking it one day at a time.
Unread 02-27-2008, 01:54 PM

Thank you Carla. I think part of the reason for my slow recovery is the lack of sleep I am getting. I was a great sleeper before the surgery and losing my ovaries. Seems like this surgical menopause has thrown my sleep schedule off significantly. I am hoping to return to work the week of March 11 if possible. How many weeks are you out of work during your recovery?

Thanks again,
Alison - Texas1

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register