Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 59 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 02-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Hi Alison
That would be five weeks, right? FWIW, I am actually planning to go back at 7 weeks (bt I'm a slow healer... Also, although I used to work out a lot up until January, I spent a lot of Jan on bed rest and anemic, so I think that is delaying things somewhat.) My doc said to plan on 6 weeks, but that earlier might be possible depending on how I felt. I may do some conference calls from home before that. I think you have to go by how you feel, everyone seems to be really different. But it does sound like you had a rough time, so 5 weeks might be a bit early.
Have you gone on any hormones? That might help with sleep but I know they can be problematic with Endo-you might want to go on the hormone forum, the endo forum, or both, and ask questions and also read the essaytype pieces they have. I kept my ovaries and still have had a couple of wakeful nights, so I think some of it is just...processing..such a big change in our bodies and lives... hopefully as you heal and if you get some hormone support that will get better.
Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 02:42 PM

Alison, I had my surgery feb 4th. Have not had any issues since, did not need transfusions, a pretty basic recovery. I am planning on going back to work very part time in the 5th week, probably only a few hours next wed and then 4 hours Sat. Then i hope the 6th week to work a few more hours, maybe 20. But I will take that one day at a time and see how it goes. Right now, I am still really tired, take a 2 hour nap most afternoons and still go to bed by 10. I am not sleeping all night though, do to hot flashes.
Play it safe and do what your body tells you..
Unread 02-27-2008, 03:53 PM

I am 3 week p.op tomorrow. I was SO constipated from this past Sunday til yesterday. A friend recommended the suppositories. AWESOME advice and :20 after insertion, i am FREE!! but sore from days of straining. I too was taking stool softeners but after i started calcium supplements i got stopped up. Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM

I am 3 week p.op tomorrow also and have been with out a hot flash for 2 full days now Ya Hooooo!!!!! they were really get the best of me, I was having one like every 1/2 hour and then changes my pj's at night 2-3 times from night sweats. The constipation seems to be gone now to, I started with the stool softeners but then added a mega omega fish/flax seed oil supplement that was recommened and they have really worked!! they are also supposed to do wonders for your hair, skin and cartio system. Great advice, thank you to the person who posted that one. Looking forward to sleep tonight, I hope everyone else gets the same.

TAH/Oophectomy Left Ovary
Unread 02-27-2008, 09:12 PM
three weeks post-op status

Hi all - I had a three-week post op visit yesterday with the surgeon, which lasted about 10 minutes. I had a TAH-BSO and appendectomy 2/5 and have about a four-inch vertical abdominal incision. The dr examined me and said I was ready to resume doing whatever I did before the surgery and told me to follow up with my doctor in about a year. The surgeon is an oncologist to whom I was referred. Since I don't have cancer (thank God), I guess there's nothing more for his office to do. Still, I found it a little curious that I didn't need to go back for any additional follow up visits at his office.

And, here's a helpful tip I've discovered on using sanitary maxi pads post-op! Since it's only three weeks since my surgery, my vertical incision (under my belly button) is still very tender and bothersome. To alleviate some of the discomfort, I stick a maxi pad to my underwear between my incision and panties, beginning at the top of my underwear waistband. Then, I adhere the rest of the pad to the inside of my underwear to keep it in place, which completely covers my incision. The non-stick side of the pad provides a soft, protective barrier between my incision and my clothes - it's very comfortable since those pads are so dang big and bulky. And, I don't even notice in my clothes that I have a pad laying under my belly button. You might also find this works for smiley face horizontal incisions - just lay the pad horizontally rather than vertically.

Gotta go get some sleep now - it's been a long day. Thanks to all of you for your posts and support - this site is a God-send! to all!
Unread 02-27-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmed
And, here's a helpful tip I've discovered on using sanitary maxi pads post-op! Since it's only three weeks since my surgery, my vertical incision (under my belly button) is still very tender and bothersome. To alleviate some of the discomfort, I stick a maxi pad to my underwear between my incision and panties, beginning at the top of my underwear waistband. Then, I adhere the rest of the pad to the inside of my underwear to keep it in place, which completely covers my incision. The non-stick side of the pad provides a soft, protective barrier between my incision and my clothes - it's very comfortable since those pads are so dang big and bulky. And, I don't even notice in my clothes that I have a pad laying under my belly button. You might also find this works for smiley face horizontal incisions - just lay the pad horizontally rather than vertically.
Exactly what I've been doing when I wear jeans! Gotta use those darn things somehow, right?

Oh, and don't be too jealous of the jeans...I don't wear women's jeans. For one, my body seems to fit better in men's. More importantly, I'm thoroughly convinced I'm going to die very happily never understanding women's sizing. I gave up trying years ago!
Unread 02-27-2008, 10:07 PM

Hi JMED,

I also had a TAH and Appendectomy (kept my ovaries, though). How is your pain? just curious. And, do you find your right side hurts more than your left? My right side hurts more than my left, and I have figured that was because of my appendectomy, but I don't know.... also, I just feel like my recovery in terms of pain seems to be going slower than others, and sometimes I wonder if that has to do with my appendectomy? Who knows.... Why did they remove your appendix? Was there any specific reason (inflammed, infected, etc), or did your surgeon just remove it because we don't really need that darn thing anyway? I had appendicitis, so mine had to come out. My doctor said my appendix looked really bad! I'm SO glad they found my appendix problem because my original reason fro surgery was just my uterus, and the appedix issue came up just a few weeks before surgery.... so I feel very lucky because if they had not caught my appendix, I'd probably be back in for another surgery sometime soon!

That is a great idea about the maxi-pad... only thing is I already gave all of mine away.. I got rid of all my tampons and pads my first week post-op.... I was SO anxious to just get RID of those things.... I really do not want to go buy more pads.... I haven't worn jeans yet, so I'll have to see how they feel once I do.

When I read you had a 4 inch incision (this was before I read it was verticle), I was amazed and wish my doctor had only given me a 4 inch incision! haha. But, then I saw it was verticle.... THAT makes sense. My incision is about 7 - 8 inches long. But, it's the smiley face... woo hoo!!

You know, Roberta, you could not be more right... women's sizing makes NO sense. None what-so-ever.... I don't even know what true size I am.... I just have a ballpark guess. But, I am a pretty simple person, and once I find something that works/fits, I just stick with it unless it goes out of style. haha. But, when I do go to find something new to me, I'll sometimes go in the dressing room with the one style of jeans but in 3 different sizes because I don't know which one will fit. I'm a small person, so in some women's brand jeans, I can wear a size 2, but in other brands, I'm a 6. Go figure.... so I average it out and just figure I'm a 4, but that isn't even true depending on the brand. But, with guy's jeans, they are so easy... you just go by your waist size and length and wa-la! My husband can go out and find jeans in like 10 minutes.... for me, if I go to try to find a new brand of jeans, it can take hours sometimes. Who knows... I just wear what fits, and I agree.... women's sizing makes no sense.

Oh well.... I've been living in PJ's and baggy sweats for so long now that I've forgotton what it even feels like to wear jeans. haha.

-Kathy
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:33 PM

Yes I agree womens sizes can be confusing.. As a shoppaholic (obviously recovering as I am stuck in the house) I have found that it really does depend on the brand. My favorite place to buy pants when I am feeling a bit down is Banana Republic.. their sizes run large so you always need to get a size smaller than normal :-)

I have found with a boyish figure on the bottom (I am all boobs and no shape on the bottom) that the newer styles for teens usually work best..weird but true. The more they cost the better they fit us flat ***'d peeps..lol fortunatly I have a friend who gets wholesale prices so I never pay over 85.00 for jeans anymore :-) I love Levis but can never find any that are flattering on me. I guess I should have had a butt implant when I had my surgery. American Eagle actually has some very reasonably priced jeans and pants that are good for all shapes.

The good news is I live in Phx so I only wear jeans for about 4 months out of the year anyway! I live in shorts most of the time.

Oh well I am obviously tired I am babbling.... off to bed night all.

Cindy
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:46 PM

Cindy,

I'm so envious you get jeans at a wholesale price!! Even designer?? That is so cool. Honestly, I only wear designer jeans now, NOT because I HAVE to have designer... that is so not it (I'd prefer NOT to because I'd save a ton of money), but I just find that they fit me so much better. As a result, I only have a couple pairs of jeans, and I wear them until they get holes in them, and then get a new pair. (I am opposite of you... I actually hate shopping. haha!! I'm the kind of shopper who is ona mission. I go into a store, grab what I need, pay for it, and leave. haha). Anyway, I've tried jeans from all sorts of stores, brands, and I can never find anything that fits me right. I have more of an athletic figure... muscular quads (thighs), and a muscular butt... which means I have a butt... and then a small waist (except for right now since it's swollen!). But, I'm petite... small boned/framed. I think the designer jeans are more true to size, in my opinion, and so when I go to stores, like Banana Republic, Gap, Express... etc. etc., I think their sizes run big, and so they don't fit me well. But, I also do have to shop in juniors as well when I do buy jeans. Women's sizes do not fit me AT ALL. As crazy as it sounds, it's frustrating being small....!!

Hey, I've been meaning to tell you forever that we love to go to Phoenix. It's one of our favorite "quick" vacation spots. We go down there once or twice a year and stay in either Scottsdale or Phoenix... kind of depends on where we want to stay. We love to go in July because the hotel rates are cut in half practically, and the heat does not bother us. :-)

Now I'm babbling, too.... I think it's all these hours my butt has been plastered to this couch... haha!!

Take care,
Kathy
Unread 02-28-2008, 01:00 AM

Kathy,

If you know your size my friend will accept paypal and send them to you. She does it for one of my friends who lives like an hour away and does not want to drive down. It sounds like you are about my size. I wear a 27 in the designer brands or a 4 in most others. I agree if they are "cut" for women then they just don't fit right. I am still not comfortable wearing jeans yet I am still in the yoga pants. By the time I am comfortable I will prolly only wear shorts for the next 6 to 8 months.

I hope my shelf goes away in time for the pool season!

I am actually not losing weight anymore. I am actually starting to gain.. a pound over the last few days. I dont mind too much but I really wanted to get down 6-8 more pounds. I am just not the excersize type unfortunately so I just live with whatever weight I end up at. I am a junk food junkie so that does not help. My hubby is back to work now and when he calls he asks "what did you eat today? I say lunch... he says "potato chips and ** **'s are not lunch!" I actually did good today.. chicken noodle soup and pears for lunch and chicken and potatoes and green beans for dinner. but then I had pudding...lol

Ok I really am going to bed now. I am achy now and need to rest.

Good night sleep well sisters!
Cindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register