Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 68 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 03-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Hi, all... Im feeling better. Forced myself out of the house this morning. Was getting depressed thinking about the whole day looming ahead of me with no one around. My daughter and son inlaw were here yesterday, and my son and his wife and baby all have the flu, and i feel liked Ive called on friends enough lately for company. So, i got dressed, took the camera, and went to the forest preserve to take some late winter shots. Took 100+ shots, got some fresh air, didnt walk much because it was snowy and iceing and i was a litlle afraid of falling. But it felt good to be out. At some point i think i just have to push myself a bit, not to overdue it, but just to do something.

As for the pain meds.. I do sort of feel as if i should be off of them by now, and the side effects of the constipation is still there. With or without them i dont sleep thru the night, Im more comfortable with them but hate to keep taking them. I had to call at 2weeks post op to have them refill them and there was definitly an attitude of "why do you still need these " in the nurses voice. And they only refilled the script for 20 more. My husband too, being a pharmacist , doesnt want me on them longer than i have to be. But.. it seems i still need them to get thru the night a little better so im going to ask her ( my Dr) tomorrow.

Kathy, soooo glad you feel good again today! Thats great news and there is light at the end of the tunnell! Can u imagine how great it will be nice to have to be in pain all day, not to have to worry about heavy periods, not to have to plan vacations and speaking engagements and outings and days around that! Every vacation ihave taken for the past 4 years has been planned around getting or not getting my period. Last March we flew to Vegas with friend,s,, i had my period really heavy the day we flew. Had to wear depends, and overnite pads (2of them) just to get thru the time from the getting on the plane and off the ground long enough so i could go to the bathroom and change them...both! So embarassing and thru thewhole trip i had to be sure i was close enough to a bathroom to be able to change pads if i needed to. We had planned on renting a car and driving out into the desert for some photography sessions.., didnt go cause of my period. I am sooooooooo looking forward to not having to do that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2008, 12:01 PM

Hi Everyone

I have a new pain that really hurts a lot - kept me up last night and is getting in the way of me doing much today. It started last night - I was urinating and you know how you sorta "push" to get it all out? Well I did that and got a sharp spain in the middle of my tummy. Stopped pushing RIGHT way in reaction (did not even finish urinating...) but the pain was there off and on through the rest of the night and is still with me- twinging and panging away. It is sharp and in a small area - but smack dab in the center of my tummy. I really hope that I did not hurt something by urinating!

It's 4 weeks tomorrow and I would have hoped that I was past the stage where I could do damage just by using my muscles...but who knows? I hate this long drawn out healing process where I do not know what feeling is normal or what causes it - we are all just roaming around a dark place filled with feelings and fears as we do not know if the feelings are good (normal) or bad.

My husband still has one more week to go in germany before he comes home..so I sit here, alone (but with you guys - thank goodness) worrying about each twinge and pang.

Hey Sass - you never wrote back saying where in Florida you are (I'm in Broward).

I am breaking down today and going to buy some metamucil as the bran concoctaion that I was eating has seemed to stop working. And I stilll need some help with sstool softening. So off to Walgreens i go....

I hope you all are doing better

Jax
Unread 03-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Understand

I feel your pain, Jax. Seems like we should be able to just get up an run. It is frustrating when we can't. As for the Metamucil issue, I can't believe I am still alive with what I have been passing. Seems to be too much for 1 person.
I have been having more pain this weekend. I think I might have overdone it. I hope not. My doctor called in more pain killers so I was thankful. Anyway, I hope next weekend is better for us than this one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2008, 06:24 PM

Hi all.
I had a really bad day up until about 3--couldn't even walk a full mile the first time I tried. Then I did some paper work chores, and tried another short walk and even got the kids' homework cupboard reorganized. And I'm feeling better still. Go figure.
Here's a question about pain meds--everyone seems to have a relatively small supply, and need a new prescription. Well, my percoset was a smallish prescription, and I haven't used it up. But my motrin prescription allows for 100 refills at the higher dosage than over the counter. No kidding. Anyone else get that? I'm wondering if that is standard, and if it means that I don't need too much about continuing to use it (as prescribed...)
Not that I want to take it forever but I haven't been trying to get off it.
Deb
Unread 03-02-2008, 06:35 PM

Hi all - wish yu were all doing better! I took a dog for a walk since it was warmer today (windy, but doable). Then spent a little time outside training my younger boy with DH, them we took the girl for a run in the field out back (we have almost 6 acres). They all slept well this afternoon!!! Then I went to dinner for mexican tonight - in JEANS!!!! They came off as soon as we got home, but it waqs nice to dress more like a normal person for a change.

I think I had a rx for Darvocet for qty of 40 - have taken very few but don't have any refills available. I'd think the 100 refills was a typo at the pharmacy, but you never know.

Feel better everyone - it's a new week!!!!

Happy Healing
Cheryl
Unread 03-02-2008, 06:37 PM

Hi Deb,

Sorry you had a not so good day.... when I read your first line and you said you couldn't even walk a full mile teh first time you tried, I thought to myself, "I probably couldn't even walk 1/4 mile if I tried right now." HAHA!!! Though I am feeling better, after walking around for even 20 minutes I start to really hurt, and at my pace right now, I could probably cover 1/4 mile in 20 minutes. HAHA!! I'm slower than a slug!

Anyway, I'm glad you're feeling better now. :-)

That is so interesting you have 100 refills on your motrin. I've never in my life seen so many refills... I wonder if it was a typo, and it was supposed to be 1 refill? I have no idea about that... but it's something I've never seen before... seems odd to me.

This is also something I've been wondering about, and I won't really know until the time comes. But, I have only 12 more Percocit pills left. I've been using them only when I need them, which at this point, has been just before bed because I tend to get reallly achy and that burning sensation by night, and I just want to sleep well w/out pain.

When I go for my post-op, which is March 14, I'm guessing the Percocit will either be gone, or almost gone by then. But, I like having the Percocit around for the nights where I DO get pain.... I just am the kind of person who NEEDS their sleep, and if I don't get it, then I am just no good the next day, and if I have any pain, I can't sleep.

What I'm HOPING is that by 6 weeks, my pain will be so minimal that Tylenol will do the trick. But, if by 6 weeks, I'm finding that I still take a Percocit at night every once in a while, I want to ask my doctor for another prescription. He refilled my Percocit on day 8 because I was having a LOT of pain, and I was almost out of the first bottle. But, there is this part of me that feels funny asking for another prescription at my post-op. I just don't want him to think I'm one of those drug seeking people.... I swear, if you knew me, I'm SOOOO the opposite. I have been taking my Percocit during recovery because I swear this is the worst pain I think I've ever had beside's childbirth. but, before my surgery, I have to have a high fever and be totally miserable to even go to the doctor to get antibiotics. I rarely even took Ibuprofin before surgery... ONLY when I had really bad period cramps... With the exception of my knee surgery 2 years ago, this is the only other time I've ever taken pain meds. So, I'm not the kind of person to even WANT to take pills but this pain is just awful sometimes, and once I go for my post-op, I feel like my doctor will close the book and sign off.... anyway, I will just see how I feel when I that time comes. Maybe by March 14, i will find I don't need Percocit at all anymore, and this will be a non-issue. I'd LOVE to not take them, but the nights I have had pain and chose to take tylenol instead, it didn't work, and I was up half the night and it ruined my day the next day.

Anyway, I am sure my doctor will be able to tell I'm an OK person to prescribe another refill.... anyway, it's just something I've thought about, but maybe I'm being too paranoid!!! My doctor has commented to me many times how healthy I am, so maybe that alone will tell him I'm safe to prescribe another refill if I do ask....

does anyone have this same paranoia???

-kathy
Unread 03-02-2008, 06:48 PM

Well, Im going to find that out tomorrow Kathy. I have a 4 week post op appt, and need the vicodin refilled. Im the same way you are, even married to a pharmacist or maybe because of it... I rarely take meds, dont really want to be on the premarin but i really cant handle the hot flashes any more. If my Dr wont refill when i ask, I do know my husband can call and convince her too, but i will let you know what she says. I think she should know im not the kind of person who is going to abuse it either, but i have tried a few times to sleep without it and im not ready for that. My vicodin is not quite as strong as your percoset so im hoping she wont give me a hard time.... and i think its ridiculous im worrying about it! lol
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:58 PM

Ok..I am beinging to thnk that perhaps I have pain because I am not taking pain pills??? I am reading about everyone still taking meds..I took one percocet the day after coming home from the hospital and then moced to 6 advil a day for a week and then 4 and then two and I do not think I have taken a pill for at least a week. Perhaps I should start again- and then it wont hurt! As soon as I finish writing this I am going to go take advil or tylenol (don't know which is better...) I just hate tptake pills and between my synthroid and my calcium I am pilled out. But perhaps i would be happier with some OTC pain pills. And I just never think of taking pain pills - I just tend to grit my teeth. If all of you are taking them then I think I will stop being stupid and take a pill!!!!

Sheesh - sometimes I just make myself shake my head....

Jax
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves to Run
Hi Cindy,

Or, then there is Seattle where it feels like the same season all year round... rain and overcast... oh, wait.... we do get those 5 days of summer sometime in July, I forgot. Silly me! (haha). Ironically, it has been beautiful here the past 2 weeks. It has been blue sky and sunny.... in the 50's, but still really nice. We'll take any blue sky and sun ANYTIME!!
What's the saying? If you can't see Mt Ranier it's raining, if you can, it's gonna rain.

Sleeping on my side...been doing it since I came home. While I was in the hospital, they didn't let me get up and walk...disability/liability thing...and I had to use a commode (fun stuff). I also had those darn leg huggers/ circulation things on longer than most because of it. Sleeping on my side wasn't an option. Got to rehab and still had the adjustable bed so I could get comfy. I was so much more comfortable with my knees up, really appreciated having the bed.

I'm finally at the point where I don't need a pillow or rolled up something under my belly, but it does twinge on occasion.

Roberta
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by policymuse
Well, my percoset was a smallish prescription, and I haven't used it up. But my motrin prescription allows for 100 refills at the higher dosage than over the counter. No kidding. Anyone else get that? I'm wondering if that is standard, and if it means that I don't need too much about continuing to use it (as prescribed...)
Not that I want to take it forever but I haven't been trying to get off it.
Deb
I've never seen 100 refills before! I'm guessing it should have been 1 or 10 and was a typo. If I remember correctly, wives of pharmacists let me know, a prescription is only good for a year, regardless of how many refills. And frankly, if you take that much Motrin, you won't have a stomach left anyway! lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register