Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 71 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 03-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

It's a beautiful day in WV, 70 degrees with a light breeze, so I decided to take one of my daily walks outside. Wonderful! I extended one of my usual 20 minute walks to 30 minutes on a fairly flat stretch of road (well, as flat as you're going to find in WV, anyway). I concentrated on keeping my back staight and shoulders back, and only had a couple of slight twinges of complaints from my abs. It was so nice to be able to walk more than 18 steps without having to turn around like I do when I'm walking my hallway! I'm convinced that regular walking has been one of the biggest contributions to my recovery.

I've resumed cooking duties, and am looking forward to getting driving privileges back at the end of this week. I'm continuing to take it very easy between tasks, but it's funny how when the gang sees you cooking, they figure everything is back to normal. Not quite yet!

My DH said he thinks he's having sympathy pains. He's had pain in his lower abdomen, and said he woke up sweating last night. Perhaps he needs HRT (HA).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2008, 12:18 PM
4-week followup

Hi all,
Had my followup with the doc today. Scar is fine, belly fine too (except for being swelly), and the hormones are doing their thing (helping vaginal tissue remain moist). I asked about scar care, she said that Polysporin brand also now makes a scar-care product so I will look for it at the drug store. Pathology report was fine (thank goddess!) - the uterus and 5 fibroids weighed 1.5kg which is almost 4 lb.
So, no nasty surprises and I can gradually resume normal activities, as they say (bet DH is pleased about that piece of knowledge ). Since I am 50 and have no ovaries, I have been on an HRT patch since day 2 post-op, and her recommendation is to stay with the same dosage for another year. I am due to see her again in July.
Time to start walking lots more, and adding more things to do to the daily agenda. I'm hoping that will also help with the sleep issues - if I do more stuff, I will be more truly tired when I go to bed.
Haven't taken anything for pain in a week, bladder is feeling a little odd (maybe due to pelvic exam this am.), but otherwise things are looking good.
Good luck to all on the recovery journey - lots of challenges for many of you, this site has been a godsend for us all to share and vent. My thoughts and good wishes are with all of my hystersisters
taddywoo, TAH, BSO Feb. 4
Unread 03-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Carla

Congratulations Taddywoo,

On your wonderful progress report, it gives us something to look forward too also. Keep up posted on your normal activities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2008, 02:14 PM

katsme57 - too funny, I do think there should be some sort of HRT for men..... Maybe something so they can feel what we've been going through - now and prior? Glad to hear he is so sympathetic.

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well this am! I thought I was, but then I went to the Dr for a check up (I came home 3 weeks ago today). I told her about the odor that started Sat and that ocassionally the discharge has a more pink color - she took a swab and is now concerned that I may be getting an abcess (sp?). So now I'm on 2 anitbiotics (one for neg grams and one for positive grams - or something like that). She is hoping we caught it soon enough - I just have to let her know if I start a fever or anything like that. You know what, I'd like for all this crap to stop now and just let me/us all heal up quickly and get on with everything..... Ok, I'm done venting for now......

I hope everyones day gets better and better. I have a roast in the crockpot, and am getting a little hungry already (but it won't be ready till 6:30).

Happy Healing - and thanks for letting me vent a little!
Cheryl
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:20 PM

Good afternoon ladies,

I have had a busy few days and no major issues from my furniture moving adventure on Saturday. I felt sorta weird after that for a while, but after resting all afternoon I was fine. Cooked up some salmon and spinach/bacon salad for me and a friend and then we stayed up late watching movies.

On Sunday I had some friends from Denver in town, and I started the day cleaning and vacuuming my house. Then went up to DC to pick them up from the hotel. We then went for brunch on the waterfront in Georgetown, then to the National Zoo to see the giant pandas and lots of other cool animals. After the zoo, it was back to my house for wine and cheese, then out to dinner in Old Town Alexandria, and finally I took them back to their hotel at around 10:00 pm. After all of that I was too exhausted to write on this board last night.

This morning I had to be at work at 6:30 a.m. because we had some big busses here to take us on a "field trip" to the Udgar Hazy Air and Space museum to have program group picture taken in front of the Space Shuttle Enterprise. I was able to wear a pre-surgery business suit and it fit just fine.

The trip was really cool. I had never been there before and what a great museum!! We had a big all-hands meeting back at the office and I gave a briefing, then we had a group lunch (about 50 of us) , then back to work as usual.

I think I will be ready for a good night's sleep tonight!!!!!!!

I am looking forward to my 4 week follow up this Thursday. Hoping to get cleared to go back to the gym. I am READY!!

Still having a very slight, yellow-ish, but not smelly discharge, but no other bad symptoms. I finally peeled all of the tape off of my incisions and found that one of them has a tiny piece of white string sticking out of it. I want to pull it, but I'll wait till I go to the doctor's and see what he says. I guess it is some sort of internal stitch that ended up protruding somehow. Dunno - but it is not really bothering me.

Katsme57 -where are you from in WV? I grew up in Charleston and then went to college at WVU. My sis still lives in Mo'town and I go there a lot for football games. Go 'eers :-)

Kathy - that story about the nurses letting you go from the hospital is pretty stinky. I had the opposite experience - mine was very militant about making sure everything was accomplished (normal temp and bp, no nausea, pee'ing on my own, managing the pain, etc) She was holding me hostage and threatened another night, but then finally let me go. You situation sounds scarey and you should let someone at the hospital know about that.

OK - back to work. I'll check in later when I get home.
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:40 PM

Good afternoon everyone,

I am feeling good physically so I did not call my Dr. for meds. I suspect one of the reasons for getting less than some others is that we have had two Dr's lose their licenses to practice here in Palm Beach County in the last year or so for over prescribing pain meds, and they, there families and all were dragged thru the mud on the news and the Dr's got extended jail sentences. So that probably has the rest of the medical community on edge.

But otherwise I did decide not to try to walk again today and plan on doing it tomorrow instead. It worked out well and skipping a day in between right now seems like a better idea for me. I am a little sore and if I had not just had a operation I would be right back out there pushing harder, but this is not the time for that yet. So tomorrow I will try again.

Kathy - your story kinda bothers me to, I think sometimes the nurses and CNA's just see so much that they block it out so it won't bother them emotionally. but your situation was bad and you should tell your Dr. You could have been having serious complications and leaving the hospital could have been even worse for you. I'm glad it did however work out ok but wow!!!

Michelle
TAH, Oophectomy of left Ovary
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:46 PM

Karen

I'm in Buckhannon, but I was born and raised in D.C! When you said you were in Old Town, it brought back fond memories. We got married there - I think the church was St. Marys?

My expereince with the nurses was positive, but I did have to be my own advocate. I know they're short staffed and overworked. The first night after surgery, my bladder felt way too full. I mentioned it to the nurse who said some discomfort was normal. I asked that she check the catheter, and sure enough it was kinked and not draining. Every time I was given medication I asked what it was and how much, and every time they took the vitals I asked what the readings were. They didn't seem to mind my questions (I had LOTS of them). On the 3rd day post op when I went for a walk and was asked by the head nurse if I had finally had a BM, all the nurses cheered when I said yes. Maybe they were just glad to get rid of me LOL! But they did tell me I had been a good patient.
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:46 PM

Wow Karen you sound as if you are back to normal. I am jealous! I am almost there but not quite.

When you mention old town Alexandria the first thing I think of is Hard Times Cafe. I just love that place. Not my normal restaurant but that is some good chili! I swear just your location makes me think of food everytime you post..lol I have a favorite little bistro I love in Georgetown that I think of all the time. I first started going there in the early 90's and it is still there on M street. The last time we went we took my aunt who was visiting from OC california and we had lunch 3 tables from the head of the FBI. The place was swarming with guys in guits and ear peices and my aunt thought that was terribly exciting.

I too have a yellowish discharge and was wondering if it was normal. I never had even one drop of blood post-op (yes I am happy about this), so it is not a gradual lightening from blood. It does not smell or anything but just made me wonder....

Kathy... I agree your nurses were bubble heads. Fainting is not a good thing and if you were on Percoset<sp> they should have taken your blood pressure as a drop in bp is symptomatic of a lack of tolerance to the drug. I cannot take it and that is one of the reasons why, not to mention the profuse vomitting etc. The one time I took it after having to be monitored for several hours at the hospital and once the vomitting subsided (aided by an injection) I slept for 18 hours straight. The only good thing about it was that by being so preoccupied with my mortality I did forget all about the pain that caused them to give it to me in the first place.

Well it is GH (General Hospital) time. I am off to watch my tivo'd soap :-)

Cindy
Unread 03-03-2008, 03:44 PM

Good evening everyone. Just thought I'd pop in and post a note, guess because I'm bored. Its good to read most of you are doing well and resuming some activities.
I think I overdid it today. I wasn't feeling too hot yesterday, then today I was lifting boxes in the house, none of them weighed over 10 lbs, but I am sore now. I keep getting little stinging pains everywhere in my abdomen, so I guess I'm back on the couch for the night. Hopefully I didn't do any damage. I thought 10 lbs was ok at 4 weeks. Well, I'll be 4 weeks post op in 2 days. I think I may even break down and take a percocet, glad I saved most of them!
Keep up the healing everyone!!
Unread 03-03-2008, 03:55 PM

Hey CindyJo and Katsme - that is very cool that you know this area!! I live just 5 blocks south and one block east of the Hard Times up on King St!! That IS some good chili!!! And georgetown/M St is way cool too! I hang out a lot on the waterfront (K St) at Sequoia and Tony&Joes at the outdoor cafes after cycling in the summer time. So fun to people watch and sit and see the boating activity on the mighty Potomac! I feel really lucky to live here - it is a very cool city!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register