Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 83 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 03-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Hi everyone,

Well I just got back from the Dr's. They did a urine and ordered a blood test to rule out infection because of the stabbing pain I have been having this week with a little temp and no sleep. He did do alot of pushing on my swelly belly and it hurt really bad on the left side where everything was removed (ovary and tube) the right side was ok where I still havel my ovary, no tube. So that made me feel a little better because I want that ovary to carry me through to natural menopause, but the left side wow! no wonder I can't wear waisted clothing yet. The doctor told me not to worry though that it is probably just normal healing and I may have just hit a rough patch. Because I really have not been over doing it at all. So I will wait for the blood test results and if they are ok I will go in for my final 6 weeks appointment in two weeks. Also he did do a internal check and I was expecting to hit the ceiling but it did not hurt at all, not even a little bit, I was really surprized. I did alot of worrying over that for nothing kinda like worrying about getting the staples out and then it didn't hurt at all.

It is really good to hear everyone is feeling better and getting stronger with each day. I think the only reason I have not completely lost my mind during this recovery process is due to you all, it has been wonderful to be able to communicate with everyone. It seems we all feel quite similiar.

LTR,
I love your story about the group weekend you had, I think something like that would be awesome!

Well I have been up and going since 4am so now I really do have to relax, I have a 3 hour meeting tomorrow to catch up before I go back to work on the 17th.

Michelle

TAH, Oophectomy of left Ovary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2008, 10:15 AM

Cindy Jo.. your post made me laugh! I was walking this morning at the mall, feeling tired and sort of sore, and then i thought... hold on there, 3 weeks ago you would have not even considered going to the mall as a passenger in a car, let alone driving yourself, and walking a mile! ( I did have to stop half way thru the walk for a BM.. anyone else like that.. its like when I have to go i have to go NOW!??!) But you are right we have come along way and it helps alot to remind ourselves of that.
I think meeting somewhere at 1 year would be great! ( As long as its not Chicago, Chicago in Feb. is just nasty) I have a book club that I do online and after about a year of reviewing books with 8 other women, 6 of us met in New York for a long weekend. We had a blast, and like you Kathy, we had sent pics, but it was like meeting a new friend.. and the voices suprised us all too. So,,yes.. im would be up for a meeting also.

Well 2 of my 4 goals for the day are finshed, had breakfast with a friend, walked at the mall. Now i have to get my hair cut this afternoon, and make dinner... I think salmon pinwheels with citrus rice and a spinach salad,, wish the white wine i love didnt trigger the hot flashes so quickly.

Off to the store for some salmon!
Unread 03-07-2008, 11:28 AM

Hi All

Well today is so beautiful. I walked the kids to school and Will walk again to get them from school. It's spring break for us as of 2:38pm. YEAHHH i love the school breaks. We may run away to my friends cabin in the mountains and have a little getaway. I don't mind not being able to snowboard as long as i can go outside and get some fresh air.

I am feeling much better today. I finally broke down and took a sleeping pill. I don't sleep anymore it seems. Everytime I go to bed My body does not co-operate. Just starts cramping around my hips and aches. So I think I'm going to a doctor to get more sleeping pills. (my doc is on vacation in africa) But besides that I am feeling good. I get those muscle streches also. I think they feel good. They didn't the first couple of weeks but they do now.

Well I did a little tidy around the house today so I think I will go rest for a bit. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. See you monday. TC and take it easy

Donni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2008, 11:59 AM

Hi all...

I haven't posted in a few days, but I'm doing well. I'm really not in much pain, although there are the occasional twinges that seem to come out of nowhere. There are a few spots on my belly that simply feel like an internal bruise if I touch them. I know those places are where he really had to do more work, so I'm guessing it's part of the healing and not worried.

We went to a funeral for a friend on Wednesday - she was very sick and in pain for a long time and was ready to leave - and afterwards we met another friend for lunch then went furniture shopping. We need a new dining room set. I love my DP but oy does she have expensive taste! For the record, we didn't buy anything yet, still shopping. I temporarily vetoed the purchase until we hit a few more stores. Got home and there was no way I was cooking dinner - pizza was it. All together, I was out of the house about 9 hours! I was exhausted when we got home but, idiot that I am, still stayed up another few hours Paid for it yesterday and spent most of the day in bed.

Last night, evening really, I had an appointment with my APRN who prescribes my antidepressant. Since I only see her every 3 months, she didn't know I had a hyst. She commented that I looked so much better and had more energy than she'd seen before. It felt great hearing that!! I know I feel better, expecially since I'm no longer dangerously anemic, but since most friends are looking at me as a post op situation, having someone who was "new" say I looked great, wow! Really boosted the morale. Amazing what oxygenation will do for ya After that, I went shopping for a new Bluetooth earpiece for my cell. DP swears it's somewhere in my car (she drove my car for over a week post op), but I haven't been able to find it. Bought one, then forgot I should have done Ebay for cheaper. Will return it today.

Someone was commenting about using an antidepressant and whether or not to get counseling as well. Speaking from experience, both personally and professionally, I strongly believe in having BOTH the counseling and the medication together, if you need the meds. Psychotropic (psychiatric) meds are not to be taken lightly. They impact and change your brain chemistry. They are also just one piece of a larger emotional puzzle and your problems and issues won't resolve themselves simply by taking a pill. If your insurance allows, I would also recommend having them prescribed by a psychiatrist or APRN, rather than your GP. They specialize in psychiatric medications and are more knowledgeable in how they interact with your brain chemistry. The difference between the two, in practice, is that a psychiatrist (full MD) tends to ask a few questions, takes maybe 15-20 minutes with you, and fills the scrip. The APRN (RN with extensive specific psych and med training) takes the time to ask about your life and gets to know you and takes at least 30-45 minutes each meeting. Again, this is from both personal and professional experience.

All the talk about meeting next year for our hysterversary week...awesome idea!!! For several years, a group of us from an AOL chat room for lesbians have met in Provincetown, MA every October. It's been a wonderful experience! If I remember, Jax works with/for a cruise line, right? Talking about a cruise and warmer weather....how about meeting for a 3 or 4 day cruise this time next Feb? Somewhere warm, like FL or So Cal?

Sarita and all those who are still having a hard recovery... give yourselves a break! You basically had your bodies filleted and guts mucked about and since we're not robots, we all take different times to heal. Especially for those on bed rest or minimal activity pre op, your bodies and muscles atrophied that much more than we who worked until a day or two before surgery!

Work...I'm going back the 21st, on paper anyway. I have nothing scheduled and don't need to be in the office (I work in the field primarily), but I have to be up and ready to leave if a call comes in. A friend also reminded me that although I may feel physically ready for work, the emotional toll can be just as exhausting and when you're physically worn down, your emotional resources are also low. I'm still doddering around on the walker, but at least it's not pulling on things.

Oh, and the shelf thing...use a hand mirror if you want to see below the shelf.

Despite the occasional setback, we all seem to be getting stronger and in less pain every day. It's great to hear everyone's progress and know there is a light at the end. This site does have it's drawbacks, I won't go into them, but in terms of peer support, it's fantastic and I'm really glad I found it.

Roberta
Unread 03-07-2008, 12:06 PM

Oh, and the sleeping/insomnia that seems to be effecting us all...

My theory is that we're off our normal routines and our rhythms are off. Most of us are normally physically active, either through work, exercise or kids, and not having that activity and routine, our bodies don't know what to do. We've also been off work for 4 or more weeks...simply not having a regular daily schedule for even a week messes me up, never mind 4-6 weeks!

Massage.....mmmmm that sounds delicious! I've been debating about calling my massage therapist and scheduling a visit. I'm sure she can work around my needs. Releasing the toxins and lactic acid that's built up and getting everything circulating again will surely help.

Roberta
Unread 03-07-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyjo
I do have a question though.... For those who still have their ovaries... Can you feel/sense your cycles still? I can. I can tell when I am PM and also when I should have been starting. I dont have the pain associated with it any longer and the PMS is not as bad but I can tell by my monthly pimple and then 3 days of headache. I wonder if that will pass?

For those of us who have had no bleeding at all... Do you find yourself looking in your undies sometimes checking for blood? Like this whole not bleeding is just to good to be true and that it is going to start anytime? I guess that it is a little hard to adjust after (in my case 31 years of periods). I started my first period when I was ten years old. That just always seemed so unfair to me. Ten is not even close to being ready for womanhood. I didnt even know what it was when it happened. So now that it is gone it just seems strange (really good strange though).
I'm catching up on the posts written today. :-)

Cindy,

Yes, I can tell when my period should have come. It's so strange. I should have had my period last week, and the week before that, my boobs were REALLY sore, and that is one thing that happened to me the week before my period. It was just so strange. I was also fairly weepy that week (I found I cried easily), but I don't know if that was exaggerated because of my recovery because I'm not a very emotional person... I never really cried easily during PMS before surgery. Anyway, but mostly, it was just my sore boobs... that was so weird.

And, YES, I check my underwear almost every time I go to the bathroom, and I just expect to see blood! haha. Especially last week when I should have had a period... it was so weird. I, too, sometimes think this is too good to be true! I know this is gross, but even after I pee, and when I wipe, I always expect to see blood on the TP, but I don't.... it's almost surprising like I keep thinking, "Oh, there has to be blood there... where is it?" haha!!!

wow, 10 years old IS young to start a period. I was 12.... I was just thinking the other day, too, that I have had periods for 24 years, and so it IS weird to suddenly not have them anymore. It might take some getting used to.... not that I'm COMPLAINING that my period is gone. I'm glad it's gone!!

This surgery WAS a good thing... I just need to feel normal again to REALLLLLLLY start celebrating. :-)

-Kathy
Unread 03-07-2008, 06:03 PM

just catching up on the rest of the posts from this morning:

BillyJack: I'm glad your appointment went well. Let us know how the blood tests results are. I have my 6-week check-up Friday next week (it's more like a 5 week/4 day checkup). I am SO afraid of my doctor pressing on my tummy because it hurts so bad still. I'm not worried about the internal check.... I don't have any pain in that area at all.

Paula: Yes, that woudl be fun.... a reunion a year from now. I think somewhere sunny and warm... Seattle would not be a desirable place in February. :-) So did you accomplish your other 2 goals for today? How did it go?

Dee33: Where are you in BC? If you're in Vancouver, I'm just a couple hours from you. :-) I also like school breaks just because then we can just sleep in and do whatever we want.... although, on the flip side, I also don't like school breaks because my kids go stir crazy sometimes.... and I never get time to myself. But, they grow so fast, so I just have to enjoy every moment..... I hope I'm recovered enough for spring break to enjoy that time with them, which is the first week of April.

I hope you get some sleep!!!

Roberta: I've been wondering where you were... haven't heard from you in a while. I'm glad you are feeling better and not having much pain!! That is great to hear. :-)

As for the expensive taste in furniture. I'm my own worst enemy. I also have expensive taste in furniture, but my problem is that I can't get myself to buy it!! I am the kind of person who LOVES really nice things and really quality things, but then when I find someting I love, I talk myself out of it because I can't justify the price. haha. It drives my DH crazy.... of course, he's HAPPY that I don't just go out and spend money right and left, but I'll find something I LOVE, and then I won't buy it because I can't justify the price in my mind, but then I'll talk about it for a while, and my DH will say, "well, why don't you just BUY it?" Then, I'll do this song and dance about why I just can't justify spending that money for this or that.... and then we just don't get it. haha. I swear, I'm the worst at spending money... which IS a good thing, for obvious reasons. I just have a hard time spending money on things, even if we can afford it, I have a hard time spending money on it. I know.... strange. I'm a pretty simple person, though, so I think that is part of it... I also question if I really NEED it.... anyway, then it goes on and on. I have friends who love to shop and buy things, and when I want to go buy something, I often will bring one of my friends so they can talk me into buying the item. haha. However, I don't have a problem spending money on "experiences".... like a nice dinner out, or a vacation, because those things you can keep with you forever. So, I think I just have a hard time spending money on "things".

Ok, I'm SOOOO all over the cruise idea!!! That is a great idea!!!!!!

I think you are right, Roberta, about the sleep thing. We are off from our normal routine. Our bodies got messed up and don't really know what is day and night right now.... well, mine is back to normal in that respect, but I am sure other people's body's are still wonering what is going on??!! It's kind of like jet-lag, but LONG term....

As for the massage... call your massage therapist!!! I can't believe I hadn't thought of getting a massage until my personal trainer recommended it. I guess I just figured I'd have to lay on my tummy for a massge, but I don't!! I'm going to try to book a massage for Monday. I can't wait..... it's be pure BLISS!

Well.... here's an afternoon update on me....

So, I slept great last night and did not need a Percocit before bed!

BUT, I'm SO achy now, and the burning is back. ugh! I did have a 2 hour conference call to London this morning, and I was sitting upright in a chair (because I was taking notes on my computer for a good share of it), plus, it was just a lot of concentrating.... it was all business. And, then after that, I was SO achy...I think from sitting in a chair for 2 hours.

Then, I had to get dressed (I love conference calls from your home.... you can wear whatever you want. haha!!!).... and there is no school today, so I had arranged for my boys to go a friend's house for a few hours. So, after the conference call, I got dressed, then drove the kids to the friend's house. Then, I sat and talked with the mom for a little bit. I came home, and FLOPPED into bed and slept for 1 1/2 hours. Then, got up, made lunch, sat and watched TV for a little bit (watched Ellen Degeneres... I love her... haha!!), and then I had to go pick up the kids.... and now I'm sitting here and I'm SO achy and feel not so hot.

So, maybe I over-did it today, and I barely left my house! I'm bummed because I felt good last night.

Oh, and here's another dumb thing I did. In terms of the BM department, I've been TOTALLLLLY normal for a couple weeks now. I've had no problems at all what-so-ever. So, I decided to stop taking my stool softener 2 days ago. HAHA!!!! Well, I did go yesterday, but I'm a 2X a day person (I know... gross...TMI), but yesterday, I only went once... didn't think anything of it. Today, I realized by this afternoon, I hadn't gone at all yet.... and I felt so bloated and I just had this gross feeling in my abdomen. SOOOOO, I think I should NOT have gone off my stool softener. I finally went late this afternoon, and I think I'm a bit constipated. grrrrr!! dumb me!

So, I'm going BACK on the stool softeners. I guess my body is not back to normal in the BM department. sheesh!!!

Well, I had thought it would be fun to go out to dinner tonight with my DH and kids, but I think I'm going to send them out to dinner and bring something back for me. I now do not feel like doing anything outside of the house.

If I feel this achy and this burning still tonight before bed, I'll take a Percocit tonight.... otherwise I won't sleep, and if I don't get sleep... it's not a pretty sight!!

Ok everyone.... I hope you all are enjoying your Friday evening!

Take care,
Kathy
Unread 03-07-2008, 06:07 PM

FL is sunny and warm. 1st year to reunion. You can get a tan.
Unread 03-07-2008, 06:22 PM

Evening all.. well i made it thru everything today, including having my hair cut AND colored.. a 2 1/2 hour process.. I was pretty sore after sitting that long, and tired, but once i got into the chair and my stylist started cutting, i could see all the gray...... DONE.. I was willing to suffer thru the uncomfortableness to get rid of it. I dont know why, but i am vain about my hair color. I dont worry about wrinkles, would never consider botox or cosmetic surgery, Im not terribly worried about extra pounds except that i want to stay active and healthy, but when it comes to my hair.. I do not want graY!! So , both my stylest and colorist were great.. got a couple extra pillows , sort of adjiusted the sink so i would have to slide back so far to have my hair washed, etc. I came home tired but glad i got it done. My husband of course didnt notice (typical) but i know my daughter and daughter in law will and my staff..and I know! thats the important part.
So im on the couch for the night, didnt get a nap this afternoon, got everything done i wanted to, so hopefully I will sleep tonight again.. another 2 tylenol pm ... i need at least one more night of good sleep.

Oh and Im back on stool softeners too Kathy... guess im not back to normal in that regard either, although thats been an issue for me before surgery.
Unread 03-07-2008, 08:25 PM

Yea for the hair color Paula!! That does wonders for the mental healing, huh? I remember when I went on valentines and it took forever, but I felt so good afterwards!!!

Kathy, now you have me thinking of a massage. I just got home from the gym - first time since before my surgery, and a massage would feel so good right now!! I took it pretty easy at the gym - did about 40 minutes of cardio on an eliptical machine and then about 30 minutes of weights. I even did the abdominal crunch hammerStrength machine. I was a little afraid of that one so i just set it on 30 lbs, but it actually felt great. I feel good all over now, but I bet my muscles will be sore tomorrow.

I am so happy it is friday. Last weekend was really hectic with out of town guests, so this one will be good to relax. I have a bunch of chores and I might go up to my office for a few hours, but otherwise just diddle around.

I have a new roommate. My ex-boyfriend from Denver moved here late last year and was renting a room from another guy, but that didn't work out. I told him he could stay here, and now he has moved his stuff into my basement. We are really good friends still and it is nice to have someone around the house. He works a lot too, so we don't see each other much, but maybe this weekend we will get out on the motorcycles or go up to DC on the metro and eat at a fun restaurant. Who knows. It is sort of weird to have him here, but the good news is that he is paying me $700 a month to live in my basement. That will pay for my gym, all my utilities, and maybe even a housekeeper. Not too bad!!

ok - i'm gonna curl up on the sofa and watch tv. Hope everyone is having a nice relaxing friday night.!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register