Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 89 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 03-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Good Morning all... just a quick post before i get my day going here. In spite of the lack of sleep, crying for an hour or so in the middle of the night, my eyes looking red, puffy, swollen, irritated, I think i am going to try and go into the office this afternoon for a bit. This lack of sleep thing is really getting to me, and if it doesnt get better soon i wil have to call and get a prescription.. none of the OTC sleep aids help, nothing really helps, and i know i wont be able to work like this once i really get back to my full schedule. Im hoping that by going in for awhile today, i will tire myself out enough that i can sleep tonight, if that doesnt work im calling my Dr. tomorrow! Right now i really feel like staying home, but i think i will go, have to push myself a little, i dont have to do any lifting or heavy stuff at work, and my staff knows i will leave when i have to and are okay with that.
So all... I catch up on posts tonight.. hey have any of you noticed this progress report forum is one of the most prolific on the site??? I think there are more members here and more posts than almost anywhere else thats current! ( just another thing i discovered at 3am this morning! hahah)
Take care all.. hope you had a better night than i did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2008, 07:58 AM

Morning to all,

I too have been up for several hours, nuts !! I keep wondering how I am going to handle going back to work next monday. I work 6 am to 2:30. That does not leave much sleeping time if one does not sleep. Oh well it will come. Boy did I get a swelly belly last night. Long weekend and then a crisis with 17yr DD that involved mom, dad and sister. Nothing life altering but just the same emotionally upsetting. It can be very hard for teens to grow up. Anyway I think that the intense family stuff last night caused the swelly belly. I was upset and crying as we all were and next thing I know when I stand up is the belly. Who knew.

It is starting to sound like most everyone is feeling much better more of the time. I know I am. Oh no I may have just jinkx it. Better not have I leave on thursday for an overnight at the beach with some girlfriends to celebrate ones birthday. Not missing that.

Wished I could do the wine thing, but atlas I had to quit drinking, liked it toooo much. So what do I do take pills, what a trade off. HA, HA

I find taking walks difficult. I think that maybe it is because I am doing increasing amounts of work around the house. When I do get myself out for a walk I really wear out at half way.

Dogs, some day I will get another dog. I had to put down my Codi (american eskimo) two weeks after I had spine surgery. She told me it was time to help her go, she was 14 yrs old. With all that has gone on in the last 9 months I have not processed this yet. So no doggies for the near future. I am sure that they really help in the recovery process.,

Well I hear some stirrings upstairs. Talk later
Unread 03-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Walking and Sleeping

Well today I decided I definitely wanted to make it outside so at the first gap in the rain (it really does rain more in Manchester than anywhere else on the planet) I made a dash for it, or at least as much of a dash as I can do at the moment. I actually made it as far as the newsagents, went in to buy a paper and realiesd that I had come out without my purse. So I walked all the way back home, sat down for "a few minutes" and next thing over 3 hoours have dispapeared from the day! Still they say sleep is a great healer, and at least my belly is not all swelly. For me it really isnt the walking that gives me pain it is the sitting and standing and bending thing. Maybe i need to get an au pair?? I wish!

Love and laughter to you all
Ally xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2008, 09:52 AM

Hello everyone!

Paula, I have TOTALLY noticed how this thread is by far the most active. We have (as of right now, and this will obviously be different even within a couple hours) 881 posts.... that seems to be more posts than any of the other recovery week groups.... We just must be the very social crowd!

It seems to me that most of us are very social people, and so that is why we love to post so much. :-) I think if we all got together, we'd have more to talk about than there was time in the day! haha.

I love that I have all of you guys to write to each day. And, I love reading about all of you each day. :-)

Sorry about all of you who are not sleeping well. That woudl be the most frustrating thing... I know for me I get incredibly frustrated when i can't sleep, so I truly feel for all of you!! I'm so sorry and I hope you all can find a way to sleep.... I wish I could offere suggestions. I don't know why I haven't had any problems sleeping at all. Well, the first 3 weeks, I seemed to wake up a lot in the night, and then I'd be awake for an hour or so, but those first three weeks, I didn't know if it was day or night because I just slept whenever I wanted.

But, since about week 3, I have slept fine, with a night here or there where I haven't slept. On those nights where I don't sleep well, I think about those of you who are having trouble sleeping every night and I wish I could help you find a way to sleep.... anyway..... hopefully it'll get better as time goes on. Hopefully your doctors can find a solution!

As for dogs.... we've talked about dogs here off and on. I just think they are the best. I know not everyone is into dogs, but man... they are just the best little creatures to have around! I miss my doggie SO much. I forget who said it (sorry), but someone here mentioned about how they have a 4 legged child or something along those lines (because their human children are all grown now).... when we had our little dog (he was 7 when we had to put him down because he got very very sick)..... I always told people he was my first born, because we had him before we had kids. Then, I ended up having 2 boys after we got our dog. And our dog was a boy. When people would ask me how many kids i had, I'd always answer this way: "I have 3 boys, but one of them is furry." :-)

I'm telling you, when you have a dog, he/she IS your child! I know... people who do not have animals or who do not enjoy animals probably do not get that statement at all. I know when we had to put Scooby down (that is our dog's name), it was so painful. I have never felt that kind of emotional pain before. I actually felt like I had lost my child. Anyway, we had friends who have animals (dogs, cats, etc.) who came around us and TRULY understood how we felt. And, then we had other friends that would say stuff like, "he was just a dog!" Anyway, so I totally realize there are people out there who are not animal lovers or do not like dogs or cats, and that is TOTALLY fine. We all have our own likes and dislikes for sure. But, I do think it takes one dog lover to truly understand another dog lover. :-) :-)

We haven't gotten another dog only because right now I am up to my eyeballs in just trying to raise my 2 little boys. I realized after Scooby was gone that it WAS like having 3 kids.... and so I'm goign to wait until our boys are a little older to get another dog. Maybe in a couple years.

But, I'm the kind of person where when i'm walking along the street and someone is walkign their dog, i will stop and ask if I can pet the dog. I'll pet any dog that comes in my path. :-)

Ok, enough on dogs.... haha!!

Well, today I'm feeling pretty good (of course, it's not even 9 AM yet!! haha). Yesterday I felt like a piece of gum stuck to the bottom of someone's shoe! I felt crappy yesterday. The whole day I felt that way.... I don't know why because I hardly did anything on teh weekend. My whole body hurt by the evening.

But, I took a Percocit before bed, and slept well, and this mornign I feel really good. Go figure!!!!! I have NO idea what I did different between yesterday and today. I'm SO done with this roller-coaster thing... I hate not knowing how I'll feel even 2 hours from now.

Oh, and today I'm 5 weeks post op!!!! wow!! Maybe the 5 week mark is the magic mark where you suddenly start to feel better! (I'm being VERY optimistic here!!).

I THINK I'm going to venture out today and go to a store. It'll be my FIRST time going to a store since surgery. But, i want to get my kids easter baskets.... I have some grass seed and some soil and I want to plant some grass seed inside the basket so real grass will grow. I'm not sure if there will be enough time for the grass to get long or thick enough by easter, but I thought that would be fun this year for the kids rather than that fake plastic grass stuff that gets everywhere.

I have the grass seed and the soil, but i don't have the baskets. I asked my DH to go buy easter baskets like 3 times in the past week, but he kept forgetting, so I think I'm going to venture out to buy them today.... Oh, what an adventurist I am!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Well, I'll check in later today with everyone.... Hope you all are well. Paula, take care of yourself today at work!!!

Take care,
Kathy
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Change of Life

Having this operation has been a real life changing event. I know they call the menopause "the change" and for me I feel it is a very positive change. It has given me time to think (not always a good thing lol) but when I was in hospital, like lots of other folks, I had a pretty rough time and was in hospital for 9 days, and most of those days were spent confined to bed. And that is the part that caused me to think - this is not how I want to end my life, lying in a hospital bed dependant on others.

Sooo i decided that changes would be made in my lifestyle. I am not overweight or desperately unfit but neither am I particularly a great example of healthy living. I smoked and drank gallons of diet coke, (lucckily I havent drunk alchhol for years so dont have to give that up) permanently exhausted due to working too many hours and a poor diet from living in hotels and eating room service. But no more.

I have stopped smoking, given up the diet coke, and boy were the withdrawl symptoms bad! And I am now eating fruit and fresh veg every day. When I go back to work I will make sure I continue to eat properly. And the next big change is on the excercise front. I am going to become a runner. I am so inspired reading Loves To Run others that I am going to join all the other runners, cant say it will be just yet but as soon as I am able off I will go.

And finally I dont have HOT FLASHES I have POWER SURGES! And my PSs are my reminderst that I have the power to make any changes I want.

Anyone else using this experience for CHANGE????

big hugs

Ally xx
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:50 AM

Ally

I agree that it has been a profound experience. At 4 weeks, I felt like I turned the corner from recovering from the surgery to rehabilitating myself back to strength. Walking in the house has been great, but I'm looking forward to warmer weather and getting outside for a good power walk!! LTR, I think I'm you counterpart, I'm not a runner. Should my name be Hates To Run? LOL!!

Being sedentary and watching lots of TV has been somewhat of a learning experience, particularly BBC Americas You Are What You Eat. That lady is brutal, but I've learned a few things about nutrition.

My 5 week check up is Wednesday, and I even managed to schedule my biannual MRI to make the most out of my trip. I'll let you know how thing go!
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:51 AM

Ally,

What a great post you wrote!!

first of all, I'm so happy you are inspired to become a runner. As a kid, I was not in sports because nobody in my family was athletic at all... my parents never played sports nor were interested in them. I always secretely wanted to be in sports, but I wasn't encouraged to. It wasn't until I got to college that I decided I was goign to start get active. But, interestingly, I had been told my whole life growing up, "there are no runners in our family." My parents had told me so many times how they had tried to run before, but hated it, and it's painful, etc. etc. so, I grew up thinking running was an awful thing and it was something I was not able to do.

Fast foward to about when I was 24 years old, I decided I wanted to be a runner. I started out just running literally for 5 minutes. Just running 5 minutes made me feel like I was going to have a heart attack. Anyway, I had friends who encouraged me and helped me, so that was important. I ran my first 5 KM (3.1 mile) race about 8 months after I started running for the first time. My parents were amazed... they could not figure out how I had become a runner (but I was still struggling...). Now, 12 years later, I'm running marathons, half marathons, short distance sprint races, and I've gotten into triathlons, and I've gotten fast, too. Last summer, I placed in the top 5 of my age group in 75% of the races I ran.

My point of telling this story is I was told and believed for the first 24 years of my life that I could not run, and I was not an athlete because I did not come from a family of athletes. But, I don't agree with that at all.... I think if you have a desire to do something and you put your mind to it and you work toward it, you can do anything.... If you can dream it, you can do it, basically.... that is my philosophy.

My parents just have NO clue how I can run... even now.... they just are amazed and constantly saying, "I don't know where you got it from..." haha. But, it was mind over matter. I broke the cycle in my family where everyone believed you could not be an athlete. Now, my boys are startingi sports at a young age and love it.... and my kids love coming to my races to watch me race. They are only 5 and 7 years old, so they are not to the competitive level at all, but they are always saying how they want to run like mommy runs, and they want to play sports. I just signed them up for T-ball which starts in a couple weeks. They are so excited... :-)

So, you are doing a great thing by telling yourself you want to be a runner.... I'm not saying here to everyone that running is the best thing... it's not. What I'm saying is that if you have a dream of doing something, but you believe for some reason in your mind you can't, then start to believe in your mind that you can and give it a try... it's amazing what you can overcome!

So, now as for me... for your question, Ally, about using this Hyster experience for a change... yes... I have thought about this, too.

For me, my life is incredibly busy. I just love to do so many things and be involved in so many things.... I found I was never home before surgery. But, my problem is I'd over-commit myself, but it'd all be things I wanted to do, so I'd just manage to do it all. But, what would happen is I realized I would not have time to just sit at home and relax and really enjoy THE MOMENT. I often find myself thinking 2 days ahead always.... it's the only way I was able to survive and keep myself organized without going crazy. haha.

But, this recovery time has allowed me to actually live in THE MOMENT and really just enjoy sitting at home and relaxing.... and taking the time to just stop and "smell the roses" so to speak.

So, I have really evaluated my life over these past 5 weeks, and I have decided that I need to cut back on some things in my life and not over-commit myself and make sure I DO take time to just sit at home, and relax and enjoy this time to myself. Even if I take just one day a week to just sit at home and do nothing. There is something very peaceful and rejuvinating about that.

I am a natural born leader... I've always beeen involved in leadership. So, I tend to gravitate toward anything that needs a leader. haha. But, the problem is that when you are the leader, you can't really take a break because if the leader stops then everything kind of stops.

So, I've learned from this to not just step into the leader role any chance I get, because it causes me to sign up for much more than I bargained for.

I have already started this, too. :-) I was asked to take part in a particular committment starting the middle of April that will run through middle of June. I was SOO tempted to say, "yes, I'll do it' because it sounded like fun!!! But, I said, "no". And, it was this recovery period that helped me say no. I thought about it, and I thought that coming out of recovery, I'll be teaching my ESL class (whcih is once a week), volunteering in the school once a week, and starting up with my personal trainer twice a week. In my normal life, that is nothing compared to what I usually take on every week. but, I have decided that is ALL I want to do.... by only doing these few things, it will really allow me to take time for myself and it will allow me to really live in the moment at times as well as have even MORE quality time with my chidren, which is the most important in my mind!!

Anyway, so that is a great question, and definitely one I have thought of myself.

Good luck with your running... if you need any encouragement or help getting started, let me know... there are other runners on this forum who could help, too (like BillyJack..... ).

Take care,
Kathy
Unread 03-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Our Big Fat Post Board

Hi all my talkative HysterSisters, I had to laugh about the chattiness of our crew. Maybe we have found so many things in common, so that a real sisterhood vibe is taking shape. Also, I think sometimes we have asked questions here that our Hostess Bea Well would have preferred that we post elsewhere, but since we have all been so supportive of each other and have given helpful answers to each others' questions, who would want to go anywhere else?
So, here's some of my random comments:
- sleeplessness: My heart goes out to those of you suffering with this insomnia night after night. I seem to get about 5 hours and then it's hit and miss whether I get back to sleep immediately or an hour later, but it's guaranteed that I'm asleep when DH's alarm goes off As far as remedies, solutions, prognosis...it's probably very individual depending on so many factors, but you may find some help from reading the suggestions elsewhere on this site, probably under popular posts. I've seen a gadget called Sleep Genie advertised on a site called Hedonics.com, but buyer beware with any gimmicks. Maybe check some yoga sites for poses and breathing excercises or meditations that would help? Don't forget to breathe deeply every hour.
- fear of adhesions: I worry about this too...I don't know what the probabilities are for our organs to develop the wrong kind of protective tissue and to stick to each other, but the prospect is scary, esp. since I have previosuly been able to produce huge fibroids That being said, I think a variery of movement is a good thing, so some walking, some sitting, some stairs or steps and any other exercise you feel up to is probably better than not. Massage also sounds like a good idea, as do the Post Op weeks 5-6 gentle tummy etc exercises on this site. Maybe I'll see if there are any posts about adhesions from others on this site.
For me, I am definitely feeling stronger, swellybelly at night for sure, and also some issues with the pH balance down under, so am taking 2-daily baking soda baths. My theory is that the old tissue has a "memory" of how things used to be (blood and lots of it for most of the month for years)
and is adjusting to the changes just like I am, so unless the symptoms worsen (foul smell, pain, fever), I shall carry on with the baths for a week.
Cheers and kudos to Ally (I think) who has been inspired by Loves to Run to start running and has already taken two major steps towards feeling better, You go Girl! I'll settle for walking - 20 mins a day minimum now, and when I return to work, I will be walking to and from, 20 mins each. Plus yoga gradually for sure, but I think I'll wait for a while before I get to Pilates, it's sooo tough on the abs.
Baby steps, ladies, baby steps...
Off to the sunny cold here in Toronto.
Taddywoo (TAH/BSO Feb. 4 due to 5 fibroids, 50-yrs young, on the estradiol patch as of day 2 post-op)
Unread 03-10-2008, 11:46 AM

hey there Ladies

i know i'm a talker and this forum has just added to it! i also agree with Loves to run, if you dream it you can do it, and my dream is to write, so this forum is also inspiring on that level as well.

well today isn't as bad. thank God i can finally say that..and yeah NO jinx!!! i am feeling better and not crying as much. might have something to do with the fact the sun is finally out in Syracuse (rare i'm telling you rare).
but it's helping.
as for the no sleep well i will have to join that club, i still don't think i've been really asleep since Friday night? but i'm going to try some otc sleep aid to see, and i'm going to check in with the dr just in case.

well ladies i'll check in later...
I'm heading outside although it's only about 20 degrees (talk about a hot flash, may this is a heat wave for the 'Cuse)..i'm still going to get some of the rays before they're gone!
hoping every one is feeling ok today and i hope we all are painfree. Here's to a blessed day!

Joy
Unread 03-10-2008, 12:10 PM

Hello Everyone,
I haven't posted in a while since there is so much to read from this group I didn't feel I had anything to offer, but I wanted everyone here to know how inspired I am by all your posts. Everytime I think I should be back to my old self completely, I just have to read posts from others around the same surgery date as mine to find out I'm doing just fine in my recovery--baby steps, right?

This has probably been the hardest thing I've done, but at least with this web site I know I'm not alone!!!!

Keep up the great work ladies. Thanks for keeping me inspired.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register