Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 02-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Ok, I have put this off long enough.

My surgery was originally scheduled for 11:00 am, but they called me the day before to tell me that it was changed to 2:30 pm, which was no big deal because we had to drive to Tucson, which is almost 2 hours away, so it gave me more time in the morning. I was able to take a Xanax the morning of surgery, so I took that which kept me relatively calm.

I was taken right in at the hospital to the pre-op area, where I got to put on a gown and just relax and answer all the questions they have, thankfully the Xanax kept me from getting too stressed out as the time got closer.

Then 2:30 came and went and I hadn't heard anything. His previous surgery went long so I didn't end up getting taken into surgery until around 3:30 and amazingly I managed to stay fairly calm the whole time.

The surgery took about 1 1/2 hours and, unfortunately, when I woke up I was in terrible pain, so I just started saying "pain" over and over and I could hear them trying to get my pain pump working, but something on it was stuck together and it wouldn't work. I think they eventually had to replace some tubing on it and then I must have been given something pretty strong because I don't remember anything for a while after that.

Eventually when I woke up later that evening I had a vertical incision and my stomach was much flatter.

I was in the hospital until Friday, but so far my pain level hasn't been too horrible other than the initial problem.

Someone on here mentioned that they spent the first several days home sleeping in a recliner, I thought that was a good idea and that is what I have been doing since I came home. It has worked out well. My pain is well under control and I have found that unless I am on my feet for too long I can get by on about half a dose of percoset.

I got my staples out this morning and I feel much better now. I still have a very strange spot about the size of a fist just below and to the right of my belly button that is very sensitive and feels really strange, but other than that it feels pretty good.

I guess that is about it for now. I have read lots of other stories and it sounds like most of us are well on the road to recovery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Recovery Progress for TAH 2-5-08

I am one week recovered and am doing much better than I have in a long time because of all previous pain! I had a reaction to the percoset (sp?) over the weekend and that prompted a quick switch to Ibuprofen - but am taking vicodin at night. I was closed up using "dermabond" similar to a glue...anyone else not have stitches/staples and have this horrible itching around the incision because of the "glue"???
Besides that...just resting and trying to relax while my DH takes over the household while fighting the endless snow here in the midwest! At least I don't have to pick up a shovel - dr's orders!

Take care all and happy resting!
Unread 02-12-2008, 10:18 PM

I had LAVH on 2-05 and it went very well. I was extremely apprehensive about something going wrong, having anesthesia issues or... waking up during surgery. I got to the hospital at 7:30 am and we had to wait for a little while. Once they called me back to pre-op I was a little scared but went into robot mode just to get this done and over with.
The nurse came to me with the stuff to insert my IV and the anxiety hit really hard, not for the surgery, but the IV. I've not had very good luck with any sort of IV or anesthesia before, quite the opposite actually. She SWORE she'd get it in on the first try. Well...I'll be buying that lovely nurse a Starbucks giftcard and a thank you card. SHe actually got it the first time. From there on I really calmed down a lot, I felt that was a great sign as to how things were going to go. I had requested a different anesthesiologist from my previous surgeries, not b/c I didn't like the guy, but b/c I felt we just had bad kharma. Well low and behold who comes up? ha. Well, the nurse got the IV in on the first try so I was okay.
I remember them putting something in the IV and I started getting dopey, but my arm started itching really bad and turned red, apparently I am allergic to yet another drug, but they acted SUPER quick and got it out and taken care of quickly.
Apparently I kept telling dh to give me a kiss b/c I kept forgetting I'd gotten one.
I was in the OR and moved to the other bed and commented on the insane amount of instruments in there, and then I woke up in recovery. I felt ill so they promptly got some phenegren in me.
I know I got a couple of morphine shots and a couple of shots of phenegren, somehow they expected me to stay awake after all that? I couldn't move to the main recovery room until I would stay awake. So I ended up staying back in the back for quite awhile which scared my husband. Once they got me in the main recovery I went to a chair no bed for me to sleep in I guess. I had to wait there till I could pee and then they were going to release me.
I went into surgery at approx. 9:30 and was in for an hour and a half and was home by 3:30 that afternoon. We'd have been home sooner but Walgreens had not even started my prescriptions by the time we got there. I had to wait in the car for almost an hour!!!!
Dh brought me a dr. pepper and some reese's cups to hold me over.
I've moved around really well and things have seemingly gone pretty well so far.
I've had to pee A LOT but I guess I see that is normal. I had the gas for a few days, but finally took some meds for that and some vaginal spasms that are pretty painful, but I guess expected.
Mostly discomfort from laying around so much, my recliner which was my saviour during my other surgical recoveries was not even comfortable.

I'm not really sure what all was done or what it looked like. I know I have both of my ovaries still and that my tubes were completely mangled and attached to the wall of something. I will find all of this out tomorrow at my dr. appt.

So far so good and I'm optimistic that I am going to feel much better than I have in a LONG LONG time soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 06:28 AM

Good morning everyone -

It is so great to see so many recovery stories popping up and everyone is getting home and healing is in progress!!

I LOVE the fake tattoo story. That is great! I am glad the doctor thought it was funny. They can tend to be so arrogant sometimes and it would be a bummer to make yours PO'd right before cutting, lol.

It is horrible here today. Ice storm since last night and everything is glazed over with ice. My front brick steps are a sheet of ice. There is no way I can go outside and I am going crazy. I walked over 2 miles 3 days post op, and now I can't even go outside. I am used to WAY more activity than this and the depression is setting in.

My worst problem right now seems to be fighting depression. I am used to being around people and a great deal of activity all day at work, and now I am all alone. Getting some phone calls and emails from friends and family to keep me company, but it is definitely very quiet, and if I start to dwell on it I can't stop crying. I will try to remain productive today - perhaps tackle my taxes - and I think that will improve my mental outlook. Sigh....
Unread 02-13-2008, 07:02 AM

Morning all... I feel like ive take a few steps backwards last night and this morning. I cant get the constipation under control, had a big BM Monday night, then nothing all day yesterday in spite of using Miralax, stool softeners, and prune juice. Lots of gas,but no BM and im hurting. The pain too is more than it was, I was getting by with 1 vicodin at night, this morning i woke up at 5 in lots of pain, mainly around the incicision..(stables removed Monday, I am 9days post op. I am also having some discharge, brownish, very little but I have had almost none since the 2nd day post op.
My husband is a pharmacist and he thinks i just need to hang in there and it will start working, im more impatient and want to change to a different laxative and get things moving. Just feel like im not progressing.

Karen, hang in there, its really hard when you are so active to suddenly stop that, I am too.. work full time, volunteer on the local animal shelter board, out with my dog walking the trails almost daily, seeing my granddaughter 2-3 times a week.. and im stuck at home and feeling the same you are. I also know my emotions are all over the place... crying for nothing one minute and okay the next. My granddaugther is 3, and in preschool and my Dr. strongly suggested i not be around her at least the first few weeks because of coughs and colds, and she has had both recently. I cant get outside here either, its cold and snowy and icy in Chicago allllllllllllll the time! lol
Ive decided to tackle learning everything i can about my new SLR digital camera my husband bought me for Christmas. Concentrating on that should help take my mind off being alone.
TAke care all.. i guess this is all a long process and being strong independent women who are used to being in control of situations makes it difficult to wait out the recovery.
Paula
Unread 02-13-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllTakeTheRain
Good morning everyone -

It is horrible here today. Ice storm since last night and everything is glazed over with ice. My front brick steps are a sheet of ice. There is no way I can go outside and I am going crazy. I walked over 2 miles 3 days post op, and now I can't even go outside. I am used to WAY more activity than this and the depression is setting in.
Hey there Karen

I went out last night - Cabin fever got the best of me. I saw not less than 9 accidents - bad accidents between Annapolis and Georgetown. Stay in the house. I know that you are used to getting out, but please be satisfied with strolling through the house.

I am 4+ weeks post-op and I did ok last night, but I have even decided to stay home today and not attend a funeral at my church.

Blessings on you ....
Unread 02-13-2008, 10:07 AM

Awwww Ladies in the cold weather I feel for you. I know the cabin fever s hard to deal with and even more so if you work or are very active. I am lucky I am sort of lazy I guess. I dont work but I go to school and even that is online. But since I am home a lot I am on th ecomputer a lot and know some really good game sites I will list for you for when you get really bored.

www.pogo.com is great it has literally tons of card, board, multi and single player games. You are sure to find a few you know how to play and a few new ones that you can get addicted too for the next few weeks. For non members there are less games but if you want to try member ones I would be happy to give you a guest pass just ask me here and I will give ya a week. I went through some terrible anxiety and panic attacks several years ago and found that site and it really helped. I even met some really cool people there.

www.onlinebandit.com is fun for yahtzee and a funny version of sorry called ludo. It is also very fun even though that one requires a download but it is completely free.

You could also check out myspace and start your own page it is a really fun way to keep in touch with friends (the younger generation makes a lot of friends there but I use it for keeping in touch with the ones I have).

If you like game shows www.uproar.com has a few of those and one game called acrophobia that is just hillarious <sp>.

These are all ways to pass the time while stuck in the house and there are such a variety you should be able to find one or two games you can enjoy while waiting out the weather.

I hope this was helpful, and I hope you guys can feel better soon. These blues you are feeling are quite normal from all I have heard and read. The good news is that it passes just like the pain we are having and the difficult BMs.

Hugggggggggs
Cindy
Unread 02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Finally going home!!!

I'm 6 days out from surgery, 7 if you count surgery day, and FINALLY going home tomorrow.

Because of my disability (I drag my leg), nobody was sure how having my abdominal muscles filleted would impact my ability to walk, move and generally get around so I went to a short term rehab for a few days.

I've been going nucking futs here! Since it's primarily a nursing home, I'm one of the youngest people here and feel like I'm being treated like a child. They definitely infantalize you here and assume you can't do something rather than encourage independence. I can't even take a *******' shower more than once a week here!

It's been good in that it has forced me to take it slowly post-op, rather than my usual 100MPH, and physical and occupational therapy are getting me equipment I should have had for years. I also haven't had to worry about cooking, shopping or anything along those lines, so it's also been good in that respect.

The prisoner feeling, however, doesn't make up for it.

I'm SOOOO looking forward to getting home tomorrow, seeing my doggies and getting back to my normal life - not to mention a nice, long hot shower - I'm almost ready to cry.

Can't wait for independence!!!

Roberta
Unread 02-13-2008, 02:46 PM

Congrats Roberta on being "released" from prison tomorrow! I have MS, and some muscle weakness in both my legs as a result, so the Drs. too worried that i would have more than the usual trouble moving around. Luckily, its been okay, and i was allowed to go home as scheduled from the hospital 3 days after surgery. You will feel great when those puppies come bounding toward you sooooooooooo excited to see you!
Paula
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:22 PM

Well, they said no driving for a week, and it's been a week, so I had to get out of the house. Went to Coco's for soup and salad lunch plus a piece of chocolate chip cheesecake. It was a gloomy day and much cooler than yesterday. Plan to go out for a little shopping tomorrow and maybe go into work Friday rather than waiting to Monday, since the banks will be closed then and the main thing I will need to do is post checks and deposit them.

Once again I feel a bit guilty for posting my experience since it's clearly so much better than so many of you. da Vinci surgery is great! And being post-menopausal eliminates all the hormone problems related to a total hysterectomy like mine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register