Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 96 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 03-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyb91
Hi Sarita
How exciting to home school! I have never met anyone who does that, I have read about folks doing it but never met anyone. I am full of admiration for you. How many children do you have? Was there a particular reason that motivated you to home school? Are there lots of red tape that you have to adhere to, I know there is here in the UK

would love to hear more from you,

Hugs

Ally x
I love home schooling. I just did kindergarten this year. North Carolina does very little regulation. Kids in this state only have to be registered with the state from 7-16 years of age. So I have 2 free years to experiment to see if this is right for us. But, Isabela is reading on a 2nd-3rd grade reading level(2-3 levels above her age) and she is a year ahead in math. She know lots of Bible verses and stories. That is something they don't teach in schools here in the States. She also loves being taught at home. We spend an hour and 20 minutes doing what it takes a school 8 hours to do. So we are free to go to a museum or park or pottery class or dance or gymnastics. I can tailor her education according to her likes. It is not for everyone but I am a licensed teacher so it is for my family and me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 08:51 AM

Good Morning Ladies

wow is the only word that pop to mind this morning as i read the post.

Julia you hit it head on, we do all have so much in common.
Just think we're all from different areas of the world, different ages, different ethnic back grounds, our family structures are even different, but so much alike! I think it speaks volumes to the fact that there is for sure a higher power moving us women all in the same direction..forward!

i'm so amazed at the things you ladies do..i admire you all! i hope one day you'll "read" how much you all have inspired me (names will be changed to protect your identities )

ladies i've seen some of you say you're back to work or heading back? i too am on that road. my return date is suppose to be the 18th i think i'll be ready? the hard part is i'm not sure emotionally i'm ready. i can relate to the being b**chy..heck i'm like that most days at work (too much non-sense, and power struggles)...i know my emotional ability to handle trivial non-sense i gone! i just don't have time for it any more. i love having fun, being nice, and getting the job done, but i work with some women whom i think haven't figured out that life is suppose to be fun! they don't know we're suppose to laugh, cry, and try to learn from one another. they don't know that being nice makes your soul happy, your life healther, and you get further ahead...(phew ) boy that rant felt good . I 'm so blessed to have found this group of ladies that embrace life, love to live, and have stated to figure out this thing called life!

now on to how i feel today!

so far so good, i finally got some good sleep! thank God..my engery level is increasing every day and i hope to keep this up. i hope maybe the brick walls are going to be few and far between?

well ive got some shopping to do, and i'll check in later...

Joy
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:06 AM

Joy:

Thanks for your update! It seems we are among those with "6 degrees of seperatrion" and I'm proud to be among all of the"sisters"!

My return to work day is also on the 18th; however, because of my resounding recovery, I've already been telecommuting "at will" and am able to go into the office for up to 2 hours a day since last week.

Prior to surgery I asked about the need for "disabled parking" since finding parking on campus near my office is impossible. I was told I'd qualify for some but couldn't apply officially until I was released to return. So, I've been taking my new pup on daily walks (highly recommended for others when possible - it's a great help) (1) because I want to strengthen muscles (2) because it just feels good to be out in the open air! Another amazing feat...can you handle it? Are you ready? This past Sunday I went on a walk. I returned to figure out how far I had wandered in the incredibly gorgeous weather...approx. 4 miles...can you believe it?! Gosh, I feel great!

Julia
~~~~~
47yo moving forward
02/05/08: TAH BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 09:11 AM

Julia - I had the telltale "bump" also. My doctor had been keeping tabs on the fibroid for several years, but it suddenly went into overdrive. Once my swelly belly went away, I was surprised by how my flatter it was.

I've also been having the energy spurts and am taking full advantage of them! I've found that having a daily routine keeps me motivated. Even on days when I don't feel like walking, doing light housework, etc., I do them at their scheduled time and always feel more energized when I'm done.
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:24 AM

Thanks, Karen, it's good to know that it's not just me who's had a positive experience through all of this! I'm thankful for the energy and, like you, find a daily routine to be a great part of my recovery ~ now if I could only get Koda (my pup) to get on the same routine!

I wish my fibroid had been "noticeable" previously; but, with the 50 pound weight loss, I guess another 2 pounds was just what I needed to get rid of! It was 10cm x 10cm x 16cm and weighed 965 grams. My Dr compared it to a Honeydew melon!

Julia
~~~~~
47yo moving forward
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:12 AM

Hi everyone,

Wow, I just love reading so many posts when I wake up in the morning. It's a fun start to my day.

I slept SO good last night! I woke up just a couple times for like 1 minute just to move positions (my body still does no change positions on it's own w/out me waking up). But, that good night's sleep sure made a difference for me! wow. I think that is what might contribute to my "bad" days.... on the nights I don't sleep well, I just feel awful that next day, and I did not sleep well Monday night (I think the reason I did not sleep well is because I had a lot of things on my mind... so i don't think it was related to my hyster), and yesterday, I felt terrible. But, it's only 8:45 AM, but I already feel SO much better this morning than I did yesterday morning. And, today, I have NO plans. I'm going to rest all day today. I'm SO excited! :-)

Ok, now to respond to all of you!!!

Julie (Pinikula) - I'm really happy that you've had such a great recovery!!! I think that is awesome. Truly! You absolultely should NOT feel guilty that you've recovered so fast and feel so different than so many of us! You can be our inspiration and we can all live vicariously through you. :-) For me, in a really weird way, I have been OK with my slow recovery because my life goes 1 million miles per hour normally, and honestly, being FORCED to lay back and do nothing (well, not much, I guess) for 6 weeks has been SO good for me, and has really helped me realize how wonderful it is to just live in the moment rather than live for the next day. I guess what I'm trying to say is that YES i defintely have my "gloom and doom" days for sure, but most of my days I just have a positive attitude and I turn a bad situation into a good situation. :-) So, that said, don't feel guilty because at least for me, I'm making this recovery a good situation! :-)

That is neat, too, that you know sign language. What is the difference between SEE and ASL? There is someone here who knows ASL -- Isn't it K9Krazy???? Sorry if I'm worng.

Also, there is another Karen on this site (111TaketheRain) is her screen name who has had the same type of recovery as you.... she felt great from like 2 weeks on, I think. So, there are definitely other women here who are feeling great!! It's amazing how we all heal so individually.

Ally: How cool you've been through an Alpha Course!!! wow.... I agree.... Alpha has changed my life and my husband's life completely. It has made us just happier people all together and has just given us both such a sense of peace about life and mostly, this course has just opened my eyes to things I never saw or experienced before in life! Anyway, so I'm so thrilled be so involved with Alpha.

My husband and I went through our first Alpha course 4 years ago. We were quite skeptical going into it, but we went anyway. It was only a 10 week committment, so we figured we could handle that. By 1/2 through the course, my life just did a 180 and i couldn't imagine my life any different.... I found God through this course, and my life has never been the same since. So, my DH and I loved this course so much that we both became table hosts for the course (so we facilitated the group discussions for new people who come through the course), and it was just amazing (and still is amazing) to see lives change just right before your eyes... you see marriages saved, people's addictions released, and people just light up and become a new person all together.

Seattle is a very multi-cultural city.... kind of like London. It's a melting-pot, as we say. So, at our church, we offer Alpha in English, Mandarin (Chinese), Japanese, Korean, Russian and Spanish, so this way people from other cultures can take the Alpha course in their own language. But, what I discovered that there was a big gap in the Alpha course. There is a LARGE group of people not just in Seattle but all over the world who want to take Alpha in English, but the English version is too fast and the vocabulary is too difficult. So, I took it upon myself to create an ESL version of the Alpha course. I spoke with Alpha International in London and they LOVED what I was doing. They said it was something they knew they needed to add to their course, but didn't know who could create it. But, I have the qualifications to do such a thing. I have a Master's in Teaching ESL, and I love other cultures and have a passion to help people around the world. Anyway, so here I am now.... I've created this course, and it's being tested around the globe. it is now in 100 locations around the world (over 12 countries right now), and in May Alpha International in London is having an international conference for all of Europe, Africa, and the Middle East, and I'll be over there presenting Alpha for ESOL and I'm sure lots of people will sign up to run the course in their on countries. Alpha International will be publishing this course in the fall, and then it'll be distrubed over the whole globe, and I will be the global leader for the course (so I will actually be working for Alpha International in London starting this fall). Pretty amazing.... I never knew this sort of thing would happen, but it's not about me at all.... I just love it that lives around the world can be changed through this course. :-)

Sarita: Thank you for praying for my mom and the good thoughts. I will let you all know how things go.... I'm hope your sister will be OK, too. I'll definitely keep her in my prayers and thoughts as well. :-) Let us know.

That is really neat you home-school. I have a few friends here in Seattle who home-school. I think you're right in that it's not for everyone. I LOVE being around my kids for sure, but I also LOVE sending them to school each day for a break. haha. I don't think I'd have the patients to teach them myself. But, I think it's amazing that you do this, and the quality time you get with your daughter is so rewarding, I'm sure!!

Kelly: So, your husband is fine? I just want to make sure. My dad's PSA count was high one year and they did all these tests only to find it was actually fine. It was kind of scary, though. YES, i do get these little bursts of energy.... but then I get these huge bursts of fatigue! haha. And, I'm just up the road from you, basically... only 3 hours from where you life. Maybe one day we can have a "pacific northwest" reunion. :-)

Zieque: I think it's SO awesome you've been inspired to write from this hysterectomy experience and these forums. You should definitely show us some of your poetry! And, that'd be great if you want to use us (with different names) in some of your writing!! How fun!

Ok, I think I covered all the posts (unless someone is posting the same time I am!!!).

Take care... I'll keep up with everyone's posts the rest of today.

-Kathy
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:29 AM

Kathy:

Thanks for the "it's OK to feel good"! I didn't want to tout too much if it didn't help others to know these experiences aren't always met with 'hiccups'.

SEE (Signed Exact English) v. ASL (American Sign Language)
SEE is exactly that...every word in the same order as if you were using voice. ASL is an abbreviated version, like shorthand or a foreign language (i.e., SEE = "I am going to the store." ~ ASL = "I go store.") Make sense?

Looking forward to hearing more from all...

Julia
~~~~~
47yo moving forward
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:31 AM

Hi All
The last two days I have had so muc hmore energy. It is actually aproblem--I am trying to be careful about sticking to the lifting restricitons etc but once or twice I have done things I thought would be ok and felt it pull in my abdomen. Sigh. But I can finally, maybe, imagine getting through a day at work (if my pants can be unzipped at 3!) My post op is Tuesday--6 weeks to the dot. And I may ask her to say I need another two weeks...partly because my DH is traveling this week and next, and I really don't want to try to go back to work and cope alone with my 10 yearold, it just seems too much. Or maybe go half days at first. (Maybe I just am luxuriating in the free time, of course!)

Sarita, how on earth do you homeschool with 3 younger ones? I can't even imagine how you are recovering with 4 young kids, and the awful surgery you had! I know my brother and his wife, who also have 4 kids six and under, are overwhelmed, and three of their four go to schoool or preschool. I am glad the doctor told you to use your pain meds...That's neat thatyou can do all the fun stuff with your daughter. I sorta do supplemental homeschooling with my kids--now 16 and 10--they go to public school, but we try to offer them additional activities at home based on their interests, so my daughter has acted in Shakespeare plays for 3 years, and we used to read Shakespeare together when she was 10 or 11, for example. (In fact this weekend she is Katherine in Taming of the Shrew, and we have 4 family members flying in for it. I plan to make them do ALL the cooking so that I have the energy to sit through her show twice!)

And my son, the math nut, is currently lecturing me about buildng desigh (he's 10--showing me how to reinforce geodesic domes.) We've gotten lots of books for him on this and buildng toys...I did fine with my daughter because her interests are close to mine, but I can see I am rapidly going to be out of my league with my son, because I know nada about buildign construction! Fortuantely we have a neighbor who is a structural engineer, I plan to sic my son on him.

I can't remember who asked about heels, but there was a thread a little while ago from someone who said they are really unbearable for about 6 months.

KathyLTR, I am so sorry about your mom. Please keep us posted. I am glad the doctors are on top of it.
Its funny, I realized we haven't really exchanged stories of why we had hsyterectomies, and I know we all had them for different reasons and got to where we are now emotionally in different ways. (Except Sarita, we do know why you needed one. It sounds like you are lucky to have survived!) We have all been focused on recovering--which I think is neat, and pretty healthy of us.

How are some of you that we haven't heard from recently? BlueJay(?Is that right, I am not good with names) How are you doing and how are your aunt and uncle? How are those of you who had complications doing?

Deb
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinikula
Kathy:

Thanks for the "it's OK to feel good"! I didn't want to tout too much if it didn't help others to know these experiences aren't always met with 'hiccups'.

SEE (Signed Exact English) v. ASL (American Sign Language)
SEE is exactly that...every word in the same order as if you were using voice. ASL is an abbreviated version, like shorthand or a foreign language (i.e., SEE = "I am going to the store." ~ ASL = "I go store.") Make sense?

Looking forward to hearing more from all...

Julia
~~~~~
47yo moving forward
Julia,

That is so interesting! Is SEE and ASL both equally common, or is one more common than the other? Which one of these is the "standard" sign language, or is there a standard? And, also, does sign language vary between language? Like, in Japan would sign language be completely different there than here, just like I can't speak Japanese, so I would not understand japanese if I went over to Japan. But, would an Amercian deaf person understand sign langauge in Japan? Does my question make sense?

I'm SO interested in languages.... I'd love to hear more about SEE and ASL (the differences, who uses which one, etc. etc.).
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:51 AM

Ok, ladies.... I"m SOOOO cracking up right now.

I just posted this short message above to Julia asking about sign language, and I didn't realize it but I originally did the "quote" part wrong when I was composing my message (quoting what Julie said), and when I went to submit my reply, I got an error that said this:

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.

HAHA!!! When I read the first part that said, "The message you have enetered is too short." Before I read the second sentence, I thought to myself, "Wow!!! This web site is smart.... it must know I normally write REALLLY long posts..." HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, but then when it said the second part about the 3 characters, I realized I had written my message to Julia inside of her own quote, so I just had to move the quote.

Anyway, oh, that was funny! I am the QUEEN of long posts!!! I just always have so much to say!

-Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register