Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 98 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 03-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyb91

I think whiny posts are just fine, if we cant be honest and vent on here then where can we? When I am at work I am the leader, the motivator, the up and at em gal, but sometims that isnt really how I feel, and I find mysefl still doing that at times with my recovery. You know when friends call and you say yeah yeah I am doing much better, when really you feel like S*** So on here I think its just great that we can post one minute to feeling fine and then come on later to have a good old whine.

Ally xx

YES!!! This is EXACTLY how I feel, too. You took the words right out of my mouth!

I'm, too, am glad i have a place I can gripe and groan, but also be positive, too.... it's a place where I can just say EXACTLY how I feel an nobody around me will feel guilty on the days I feel like crap!! Like yesterday during my class, I really did not feel well (but the class went well), but I couldn't tell the people in my class that I didn't feel well because I didn't want them to feel bad that I was even there, blah, blah, blah.... so I SOOOOO relate to what you wrote here, Ally!!

Ally: I notice that a lot of times next to your name you put an "xx" next to it. When I email the people in London I'm working with, they almost always sign their name with an "xx" next to it....

I've never asked them what that means... is it just like saying "hugs"? Is that a really common way for the English to sign their name? Just curious. :-) I also notice that when I get emails from the people in London, they always address the email by saying, "Dear Kathy", and they sign it by saying, "Love, (their name) xx".

Here, we mostly addres an email by "hi Kathy" or "Hey Kathy", and we only really use the signature "Love (name)" if it's a "loved one... family, spouse, child... or a very close friend".

I think it's neat, though, when I get emails that are addressed like that. :-) Anyway, it's always interesting to see the differences between English speaking countries (in terms of how they use their English).

Take care!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 12:29 PM

Hi Kathy

Just had to reply about the hugs and xx (kisses) Yes they are used all the time in the UK, usually only to people of the same sex and even in work environments I would sign emails with a xx
But it does sometimes catch me out, i once sent an email to someone in my company much higher than me and male and the content was very business like and then without thinking I signed off "big hugs Ally xx" and pressed send. As i hit the send buttom some sixth sense screamed nooooo but it was too late. The little critter was gone. I then agonised for ages, would he even notice, should I explain, what would he think. In the end I went with the Lancashire expression which says "if in doubt do nowt" which means if you are not sure dont do anything.

So
Big hugs
Ally xx
Unread 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM

That is pretty much what i figured is that "xx" or "hugs and xx" was used all the time in the UK because every single email I get from people in UK end in "xx". I think it's sweet. :-)

That is so funny about sending off that email to the male who was higher up in the company! haha.

I had SUCH an embarrassing incident like this back when I used to work at Microsoft (I worked at Microsoft for 4 years before I had kids... then became a stay-at-home mom). Anyway, my husband works at Microsoft, so we both worked there together at the time, but in totally different areas and buildings, so we never saw each other.

One timeat work I sent him a flirty email that said something like, "I hope you're having a good day. I can't wait to hug and kiss you when we get home." It was just a short message along those lines.

Well, I sent it really fast, and realized that I had accidentally sent it to my BOSS whose name was RIGHT below my husband's name in my address book, so I just clicked on the wrong name by accident. I remember pushing send, and as soon as I pushed send.... I SUDDENLY got this SINKING feeling that I sent it to the wrong person. So, I went into my sent items and it was the most HORRID feeling you could ever imagine when I saw my bosses name on the "to" line of that email (Oh, and my boss was a man, too!!).

I didn't know WHAT to do... just like you... I didn't know if I should send an email right away saying, "disgregard the email I just sent" or something like that... or if I should go to his office and apologize.... I was breaking out in a sweat! It was awful. I had started to imagine I'd get fired or something terrible like that. haha.

But, like you, I decided to just not do anything and just move on. I figured if I tried to dig myself out of it, I'd just dig myself deeper in a hole instead.

Well, LUCKILY, my boss had a good sense of humor and he liked me as an employee, and he actually replied to the email and said something like, "I am having a good day, but I'll pass on the hugs and kisses offer."

OH MY!!!! I just wanted to CRAWL under a rock and never come out.

I was terrified to see him for the first time after he sent that reply. But when I did see him for the first time, I just sucked it up and since he had replied to the email, I felt OK saying something about it, and I just chuckled and said, "sorry about the mis-hap..." and we just laughed... and that was it.

But, now when I send email, I triple check the "to" line to see who is on it to make sure I don't accidentally send it to the wrong person.... I just have a habit of doing that now.

I think that was probably one of my most embarrassing moments in my life. haha.

-Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 12:54 PM

Hey.. just a observation... 2 more pages and weve hit the 100 page post mark! lol
Unread 03-12-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves to Run
That is neat, too, that you know sign language. What is the difference between SEE and ASL? There is someone here who knows ASL -- Isn't it K9Krazy???? Sorry if I'm worng.

-Kathy
It's me that knows and is fluent in ASL. The difference is that SEE is a manually coded form of visual English. It's not a true language in and of itself. ASL is a completely different language than English, having it's own grammar, syntax, and structure. ASL is used by Deaf people (notice the capitol D - culturally Deaf, rather than simply not having hearing), where SEE is most often used in a mainstream educational setting where parents and/or teachers believe, falsely in my opinion, that it teaches children English.

Roberta
Unread 03-12-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves to Run
Julia,

That is so interesting! Is SEE and ASL both equally common, or is one more common than the other? Which one of these is the "standard" sign language, or is there a standard? And, also, does sign language vary between language? Like, in Japan would sign language be completely different there than here, just like I can't speak Japanese, so I would not understand japanese if I went over to Japan. But, would an Amercian deaf person understand sign langauge in Japan? Does my question make sense?

I'm SO interested in languages.... I'd love to hear more about SEE and ASL (the differences, who uses which one, etc. etc.).
If you think about it, language develops within a culture, therefore every other culture has their own visual language. Puerto Rican spanish isn't the same as Dominican, etc. Even here in the states, there are different dialects. The core language is pretty much the same, but there are differences in regional references and "accents". Think of how many words we have for a sandwich - sub, hoagie, grinder...etc. Same deal with ASL.

That said, when Deaf people get together for international events like the Deaf Olympics, they can very often communicate more smoothly than their hearing counterparts. Why? Because while hearing people are thumbing through their bilingual dictionaries, Deaf people are concerned with the communication itself and getting the message across. They've lived all their lives in a hearing world, having to adapt to everyone else's language. Adapting to each other's visual/gestural language is relatively easy after that!

Roberta
Unread 03-12-2008, 01:57 PM

Pinikula - I'm hoping to get the 'all clear' from the doctor tomorrow to walk my labrador. Max. He looks so pitiful when he sees me walking without him (Max, not the doctor!). I've been with this doctor for 17 years and think he's the best. He's not a hand-holder, just straight forward with a wicked sense of humor. Unfortunately, I found out before being released from the hospital that he was diagnosed with throat cancer about four months ago, which upsets me greatly. He doesn't know that I know, and you'd never be able to tell by the schedule he keeps. I just hope he has a doctor that's as good with him as he has been with me.

I thought bout preparing a list of "Do's anf Don'ts" to ask the doctor regaring what I can start doing, but changed my mind. I've narrowed it to two questions; Can I do everything I did before the surgery? and How likely is it that I could damage something internally? If the answers "Yes" and "Not likely", respectively. then it's a return to life as I knew it. I know there'll be pain from the surgery, and would expect to have that for many more months. I also expect to have muscle pains where I haven't been using them, and episodes of fatigue. I just don't want to operate in fear of these.
Unread 03-12-2008, 02:14 PM

Roberta,

That is all SO interesting about ASL!! I have never studied ASL before, and so this is all so interesting to me! I did study language acquisition in my Master's program, and so I completely agree with you that language does develop within a culture, even just within a family, yet the core language is pretty much the same. This is why I find British English, Australian English, New Zealand English, etc. so interesting because it's all English, but different dilects, basically.

Anyway, I think it's great there are people here on this forum who know ASL and SEE. I am always amazed when I do see the Deaf communicating. I hate staring because I don't see them as different, but I love to just watch their hands and their facial expressions when they communicate.

The only sign language I learned is the alphabet. I don't know if that is ASL or SEE. But, I can spell my name with sign language. :-)

So, I will be the first to admit I'm very ignorant in this topic, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but do the Deaf typically read lips, too? I am wondering how the Deaf communicate when they go somewhere in public where they do not have an interpreter, but need to communicate with a hearing person who does not know ASL. Like if they go to a store and need help finding something? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've often wondered this. I love learning about new things. :-)

Katsme: I hope your doctor will be OK! I always wonder who the really good doctors go to when they need a doctor. I am sure he is in good hands.... I hope they can catch all of the cancer!

and, I love how to the point you are and effecient you are.... those 2 questions pretty much clears everything up.... unlike me where I have a whole page of questions for my doctor on Friday! haha!!!

Let us know how the appointment goes. :-)

-Kathy
Unread 03-12-2008, 02:38 PM

Hi everyone,

I literally just spent like a 1/2 hour to read all the posts from last night to now, WOW!!!! I can really sense that everyone's energy levels are really up compared to this time last week. I am so glad to hear this, I think everyone really has turned a corner together.

I feel good myself today, just kind of in a quiet mood. This does not happen often and I have the house to myself until tomorrow so I am taking full advantage today. I am back to work on Monday full time and I have not been for 2 years because of my spine surgery last year and then this surgery now.

I am quietly trying to prepare myself mentally I think, I don't know, I am never quiet??? But it feels good today so I am going with it!!!!

LTR,
I send prayers your way.

You all are a inspiration,

Michelle

TAH, Oopechtomy left Ovary
Unread 03-12-2008, 02:47 PM

I suppose I should write more than answers about ASL/SEE...

Lemme see...

Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's scare. I hope it's nothing but please do let us know. I lost my step-mom to pancreatic cancer so I know it's very aggressive and nasty.

Bursts of energy - yup, got 'em. Get the burst and do something then crash with a big bang wondering where that truck came from. Maybe actually acting on the burst of energy is what's hitting me. If I just take it as a "thank you" and enjoy it, rather than jumping at the chance to do something, it won't hit so hard. Who knows.

Cindy and Paula, glad you're having better days today. Grumpy and whiny are not fun. We have this site to whine and complain. Come here. We'll even serve the cheese and crackers with the whine!

Julia, hi and welcome. It's great to have a new puppy, even if the timing is a bit off. We have 3 dogs and love the Cesar Millan (dog whisperer) books and philosophies of working with dogs. Thankfully we have a fenced in back yard and just let the dogs run. I know, not what Cesar wants, but we physically can't walk them...both disabled and can't walk distances. We also take them to parks for a change of scenery run and the chance to hang out with other dogs. As for SEE v ASL, I'm sure we could get into a debate about it...both philosophies tend to be pretty passionate.

KJJ, I hope your DH's elevated PSA was from not following the rules, rather than really being high.

As for my life...was out late last night at a monthly planning meeting for an annual festival that I help coordinate. Didn't get home until 10:30, DP got home around 11:30 and we talked until after midnight. I was up around 8 this morning to bring my car in to the dealer for a repair then shopping. Ran into another committee coordinator for that same festival and we talked about the meeting...she may have a solution for one of our major problems this year - how to provide drinking water and stll be a zero waste festival. Will see, but sounds possible.

I can't imagine going back to work. Not that I'm not physically ready, ok, so I still have some achiness and I get tired easily, but I can often nap in between assignments so that part isn't as bad. It's the psychological and emotional drain that I'm not looking forward to, especially with the office dynamics. The two women who are primarily running the show are such drama queens! Everything is a crisis and if something happens or a complaint comes in, everyone is guilty or in the wrong until proven otherwise. It is so NOT a positive place to be. I'm going to try and spend as much time as possible out of the office and in the field.

Roberta

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register