any sisters have PCOS & total hyster? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

any sisters have PCOS & total hyster? any sisters have PCOS & total hyster?

Unread 02-04-2008, 07:37 AM
any sisters have PCOS & total hyster?

I'm 2 weeks post op and have PCOS. Just wondering if any others with PCOS have had any symptoms of it (weight issues , hair growth) diminish since having the ovaries removed??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2008, 08:45 AM

Unfortunately removal of ovaries doesn't cure PCOS and metabolic syndrome according to my doc ovarian function is only a part of the whole syndrome, you may notice a change in some symptoms but the body still produces androgens and you may still have insulin sensitivity issues, therefor the main symptoms such as weight gain and hair growth can persist...I too was hoping for miracle cure but sadly it is not there... follow up with your MD and continue to monitor your insulin levels, lipids triglycerides etc...good luck!! keep on healing!

Trish, 39 PCOS, Davinci TH BSO, Atypia, fibroids, adenomyosis
Unread 02-04-2008, 08:13 PM

I have PCOS and did not have my ovaries removed. Luckily the only major issue I had with my PCOS was no periods and minor weight gain. My DR would not remove my ovaries because she believes I am too young (29, 30 on 14th) to be on HRT. I am completely OK with that! I had my TAH to emlinate possiblity of getting Uterin Cancer from the build up of lining. I have lost some weight since my surgery but that is probably only because I haven't been very hungry!LOL!
Hopefully you will get some benefits regarding your PCOS from the surgery.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2008, 05:29 AM

Thanks so much for replying! I know PCOS isn't really in the ovaries, it's a disease of the Endocrine system, but was hoping maybe some things would change a little....lol. I am 34 and I have 3 beautiful little boys!!! With each pregnancy I think my hormones got semi-normal. I lost 40-50 pounds in the 6 weeks following each of their births. I had a supracervical hyster on Jan. 2nd and the doc took my left ovary. On Jan. 22nd I had to be opened up and have a total hyster because my blood vessels in my cervix were bleeding. Since before Thanksgiving when my uterus first became enlarged, I've lost a total of 34 pounds! It's a heck of a way to lost it tho. I'm just thankful that I had my babies before this happened and that my pathology reports from everything removed were not cancer!!!!!
One more question, did you have any brown discharge after your surgery?
Thanks Nanou!!!!! It helps to talk to others! Hope all is well with you now!!
Unread 02-05-2008, 06:21 AM

I had a little tiny bit of spotting when I was in the hospital, but other than that no discharge at all. I was worried when the nurses told me that I could have bleeding for up to 4 weeks after, I was not looking forward to that!
Thankfully we both got to have our wonderful children before we had to endure this (I have 2 beautiful girls 12 and 4), I know there are so many women who suffer with PCOS and never get to have their children. That is sad.
It is too bad you had to have 2 surgeries, I hope everything is better for you and congrats on the pathology!! That is great news!
Unread 02-05-2008, 06:53 AM

Can one of you PCOS girls please help me? I don't understand PCOS at all, but was told I had the "atypical" kind. (I'm not overweight, had 3 children, always ovulated, regular periods). BUT, my ovaries produced constant, very painful cysts which I couldn't tolerate any longer. I had severe cystic acne, major hair loss, plus hair growth in weird places. So, I had a TAH/BSO three months ago.

Well, NOTHING has improved with the exception of the ovarian cysts 'cause obviously I have no ovaries! I thought everything else (mainly hair loss/acne) would disappear, and I'd be normal again.

Can someone please help me and tell me what to do next? I tried to get an appt. with an endocrinologist, but he wouldn't see me because I'm not overweight and "typical"! Told me to see a dermatologist...which I have...but got no answers. WHAT NOW?

I'd so very much appreciate any info someone can provide me! Thank you!
Unread 02-05-2008, 07:30 AM

I'm sorry, I don't know much about the "atypical" but have you had blood work done with your GYN to test everything? That's strange that the Endo wouldn't see you! When I saw my Endo last year, all of my blood levels were normal and they told me I wasn't a canadate for metformin since everything was good. Told me to look into other ways of hair removal - easy for them to say, huh?! I'd try and make that appt. again and just tell them when making the appt. that you have PCOS and explaine everything to the doc when you get to see him/her. Wish you the best of luck and I'm here if you have anymore questions!! Hang in there and remember - you are not alone.
Unread 02-05-2008, 07:58 AM

LSH112 Sorry to hear about that. I agree with dodgegal04, try to call the dr again or if you can, find a different one to go see.
I too am pretty atypical, not overweight, no abnormal hair growth or loss, had two children and normal periods up till 2 years ago when the slowly stopped altogether.
So I am not much help with your symptoms. Have you asked your GYN if there is anything you can do to help curb those symptoms?
Keep us informed and Good luck!
Unread 02-05-2008, 08:07 AM

LSH112:Try a reproductive endocrinologist - sometimes they have a much better grip on PCOS, or if there is a University Health center around you try to hook up with an Endocrine Fellow - they are very much into the current literature and love a challenge like an "atypical"case, I was lucky that my PCP was very interested in metabolic syndrome and PCOS so even though my insulin was normal did try metformin, unfortunately it made me very sick. I am so happy to hear you were able to have children, I was not, so this hyster is a final and very hard thing to deal with, it sucks when your body betrays you!! Now my goal is to continue to get healthy and be the best adoptive mom out there.
Unread 02-05-2008, 09:28 AM

THANKS TO EACH OF YOU !!

I really appreciate all your replies, I'm so frustrated and looking in the mirror each day doesn't help things! Something definitely is not right with my body...and it hasn't been for years. My gyn just blamed it on peri-menopause, but the symptoms are way too severe for that. (I also have skin tags all over, which I know is another symptom).

My gyn does not seem to be very interested at all...she just now wants to stick me on estrogen now that I'm surgically menopausal. Like that's going to help! I had all these symptoms for the last 8 years when my estrogen was fine.

I thought this (PCOS) has something to do with too much testosterone? Or am I completely off base? I'm going to Google this and do some more research. Then I think I will try my regular family doctor to see if he will give me a referral to an endo dr.

And I'm very, sincerely sorry for those of you who cannot have children. My best thoughts are with you.

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register