muscle and joint pain - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

muscle and joint pain muscle and joint pain

Unread 03-05-2008, 12:24 PM
muscle and joint pain

Wow, I'm not sure if it is better or worse to know there are more of you having this- misery loves company, but I was hoping it was a fluke thing that a cortisone shot could fix. My surgeon sent me back to my primary care dr and my appt is today. This dr knows me very well and knows I have a high tolerance to pain (being a hypnotherapist, that's what I help people with and teach). I am not going to pull any punches and let him know I cannot even dress myself now- the arm is freezing. I googled arm pain and hysterectomy and that scared me. My jeans fit since the surgery (heard this is a common complaint) BUT I can't zip them so we are in sweats and jammy bottoms. My friend is a physical therapist but I am unable to do any of the exercises. This sucks. Between this and the insomnia I wish I could rethink my surgery and kept my fibroids. I'll let you know what the dr says. Good luck, all. I guess we'll be keeping the ICY/Hot ppl in business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2008, 01:40 PM
muscle and joint pain

Wow, this is crazy! I have been hurting since 6-8 weeks. I have scoliosis so I thought maybe that was the problem. Went to orthopedic and he said all look fine from surgery I had 30 years ago. I've gone to a trainer at the gym thinking I needed to help my core strength get back in shape...still hurt! I'm on hormones but I truly believe that I'm not taking enough estrogen...I'm on all kinds of vitamins, testosterone, dhea, cortisol...you name it I'm on it and still I hurt. I will say it has gotten better but still its there everyday. Something somewhere HURTS! I too wish at times that I would have just left everything alone even though I was in pain before surgery but at least then I knew why. For some reason I just keep going back to estrogen, so I'm trying to talk to my dr. about raising my dosage. I guess anythings worth a try. Really tired of having to take ibuprophen everyday and it can't be good for my stomach. Well if anyone finds a answer to this problem pass it on!!!!
Unread 03-05-2008, 01:50 PM
muscle and joint pain

Man, what a timely topic! I had my surgery over a year ago, and I do have muscle & joint pain. Hot shower helps, so does stuff like icy hot (temporarily). I quit taking my HRT several months ago (I think it was raising blood pressure) and have been feeling worse. I would love to hear if anyone finds an answer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2008, 01:55 PM
muscle and joint pain

I'm only 6 wks out but the pain is unbelievable. I see the Dr. tomorrow. Hot soaking baths really help. I'll put some Epsom salt in the water. Sometimes the lower back pain is unbearable. I love those Thermocare patches. They really do last 8 hours and you can wear them under your clothes and no one knows. There is no smell to them too!
Unread 03-05-2008, 02:18 PM
muscle and joint pain

kimijean,i had all the same, i also couldnt lift my arms for a few months. for me i felt it was more to do with a drop in estrogen.i have been taking fish oil capsules for the past year and i really think that this has helped me.i never took any hrt and i still have other issues but the muscle and bone aches were all gone after about 6 months on the fish oil,,take care
Unread 03-05-2008, 09:01 PM
muscle and joint pain

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Somehow I missed this thread before.

I appreciate all of you sharing your experiences. I too am having joint pain. I feel 80. It's as if a switch was flipped about 2 1/2 months post surgery. One day I was fine and the next I could hardly move. I'm not taking any HRT either.

It takes me 1-2 hours to fall asleep now because I can't find a comfortable position. This after I had just gotten over the insomnia. Bummer.

I'm taking the calcium with the vitamin D. I have some fish oil capsules but wasn't sure how much to take. I'll try the glucosamine and condroitin too.

It's an encouragement to hear from some of you who have had some relief.

Wishing you all a pain free day tomorrow!
Unread 03-06-2008, 01:39 PM
muscle and joint pain

I promised to let you all know what the dr said yesterday: he said the pain should not be that bad (from my shoulder to my elbow on left arm) and the movement should not be that limited. I cannot do physical therapy because of pain and limited range of motion. He put me on percoset at night to sleep (I was an addictions therapist for five years and have hated pills in the past- but now BRING THEM ON!). He got me an appt with an orthopedic dr next Tuesday. He thinks maybe a cortisone shot will alleviate the pain long enough to start physical therapy. My husband took me to Hawaii for a couple weeks (we just returned) and the pain truly spoiled the trip- although if you have to be in pain 82 degrees in Hawaii is helpful- back in Colo now where it is snowing, cold and winter- yuck! Not helping the pain! Dr told me to take only Alleve during the day since you only have to take one every 8 hrs (he actually recommended 2) and it's not so hard on the stomach. I had "sleep amnesia" from the Ambian I was taking (doing things I didn't remeber the next day) so he recommended Amytriptolene (sp?) 10 mg at night. It helps the pain and helps me sleep, is not so addictive and dangerous. I took one the last two nights and am totally impressed. If I could go back to Jan 8 and NOT have this elective surgery I would do it in a heartbeat. 2 weeks out of the month I had heavy bleeding and pain but I was functional. I cannot even dress myself now without tears. Fibroids were better than this by far. Let me know how you all are doing please. It helps to know you are out there. Maybe one of us will find a solution. Sandi
Unread 03-06-2008, 06:57 PM
muscle and joint pain

Sandi - I just wanted to cry when I read your post. I can feel the pain in your words. I will be praying that the orthopedic doc will be able to help you. Please let us know how things progress. I'll be thinking of you.

I also wanted to mention to the other ladies reading this thread that I've been taking glucosamine for about two weeks and it is helping immensely with my joint pain. So, it may be worth a try for some of you.
Unread 03-06-2008, 07:39 PM
muscle and joint pain

Hello everyone! I've been following this thread for awhile and I have felt muscle & joint pain since about 3 weeks post op. Now at almost 6 months I feel the pain mostly in my arms and shoulders to the point that it wakes me up at night & I want to cry. I've been taking the glucosamine w/ chondroitin & fish oil for about 4 months and it does help. I've heard at least 1500 mg for glucose but anyone know the recommended dosage for fish oil? Anything else good for muscle & joint pain? Actually, the pains I'm feeling are much worse than the hot flashes & night sweats. When I wake up in the mornings I am so stiff I can hardly move. After awhile I seem to loosen up and then I can move around better. Does this get better? Let's all hang in their together.
Unread 03-06-2008, 07:41 PM
muscle and joint pain

I am too still battling this. The glucosamine has seemed to help a bit but I am not the same person as I used to be. I am so frustrated to feel so old. It really helps to know that it isn't just in my head. I appreciate the ongoing posts and suggestions. God bless you guys!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register