Fatigue--8 weeks post-op-How long will it last? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fatigue--8 weeks post-op-How long will it last? Fatigue--8 weeks post-op-How long will it last?

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Fatigue--8 weeks post-op-How long will it last?

Hello Sisters,

I'm nearly 8 weeks post op TAH BSO and I don't feel my energy levels returning. I am on iron, however don't wake up feeling rested and spend the weekends in bed.

Anyone else feeling similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2008, 06:02 PM

I'm right there with ya, sister. My favorite past-time these days is sleep. There's nothing my body wants more.
Unread 02-04-2008, 06:19 PM

Hi,
I am only 4 weeks post op but I am in the same boat. Some days I feel great and then if I do just that little bit too much I pay the next day. I am so tired and wiped out the next day and can literally sleep the entire day. I realize I am weeks behind you but I just can not believe how hard this is I now know what my doctor meant about 6-10 week recovery with the possibility of 12-14. I am glad to know that there are others experiencing slow recovery, I feel like such a baby sometimes. I had to leave a super bowl party yesterday a little past 1/2 time because I just needed to get home and get cozy. Good luck to all we need to start a post of updating our own healing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2008, 09:46 AM

Hi MGM , I am a little over 3 months out and my doctor told me that fatigue would probably be my biggest hurdle. I didn't believe her but, boy, was she right! What you are experiencing is completely normal. My best advice is...

s and Blessings, Lisa
Unread 02-06-2008, 12:15 PM

Hello,
I am almost 6 weeks post Total Vaginal Hysterectomy,
I go back to work on Sunday, I am a Youth Worker at our Church. Tired is my first name. I am taking Vitamins, doing some work on the eliptical because we have snow or ice all the time where I live and I can't get outside to walk. But I do such little things like shower and blow dry my hair and I feel like I haven't slept for days.
I am worried about this. But it sounds like everything varies by each woman. I am going for my check up tomorrow. I am not on HRT there is a lot of cancer on my Dad's side all the women breast cancer all the men prostate and my son died from cancer at the age of 13 his 27th birthday would have been last week and I have a beautiful 12 year old daughter who I need to stay healthy for. So I feel that is not an option. Is there anything else that works for the night sweats and hot flashes? The pain is so much better now. When it flares I just rest and it gets better. I feel frustrated. I thought the vaginal was supposed to be easier and I am sure I have not been through anything like the Punctured Princesses, but I feel so alone in this. I hear so and so was back to work in two weeks and felt fine....
I think we all heal in different ways. I was very sick for about two months before my surgery, with pains that felt like contractions all day long and nausea and pressure. I had a fibroid the size of a grapefruit. I had already been without periods for over a year when my spotting started whenever I worked out or did cleaning or lifting.
It gets better, I compare how I feel today to last week or if that doesn't make me feel better to post op and if that doesn't work to how much pain I was in pre op. And if all else fails I get out the pillows and retire to my chambers with a book and tea. But now it is time to get back into the daily grind and I feel all grounded out before I can get the day started. Do we just need to give in and rest or make ourselves do a little more each day to heal?
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:14 PM

I am 10 weeks post-op and still get tired....Before this wonderful experience I worked 3 12 hr. shifts. Now I can only do 1, and I rest and recuperate the following day. Can't do 2 in a row as yet.

I am still taking it easy, no exersize except walking....when I am tired, I rest. I think that this is going to take a few more months until full recovery.

Be patient........each day will get better!!
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:38 PM

At my 5 week check up I asked the doc why I was so tired and when I would feel better. She said that I should have a good summer. I about screamed. 6 months to regain my energy - with 3 kids- you have to be kidding. I have been feeling better than at 5 weeks but I am still tired all the time. I know that is not what anyone wanted to hear..
Unread 02-06-2008, 10:20 PM

I am so relieved to hear all of your comments. I'm 7 weeks post-op and can't believe how tired I am at times. Some days I still can barely drag my body out of bed. Makes me very hesitant to return to work for fear that I'll not be able to keep up with the physical activity that my job requires. At least when I'm at home I can listen to my body and rest as I need to- at least until the kids get home from school! I find it very frustrating that taking a shower and drying my hair still makes me feel like I'm weak and shaky. I've been walking and just returned to doing the eliptical at the gym after being cleared by my Dr. last week. Doesn't seem to be helping my overall endurance as much as I could wish though.
Unread 02-07-2008, 09:58 AM

I am on my 6th week of recovery and know how you all feel! I get up at 5:30am, get ready and get my son to my Mom's. By that time it is 7:00am and I feel like I am already done for the day. Then I go into work and push myself for 5-6 hours, go home and take a nap and then go pick up my son. I still get very, very sore which is frusterating. I feel like in the last 2 weeks I have not made any progress at all in my recovery.
Unread 02-07-2008, 03:04 PM

dolphin28---I am still sore on right side at 10 weeks post-op.....I think that this is going to be a longer recovery period than I had hoped...Doc says could take up to 12-14 weeks of soreness and fatigue up to 6 mo.

Better every day!!!!even if I don't feel it

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register