My 2nd 2nd opinion | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My 2nd 2nd opinion My 2nd 2nd opinion

Unread 02-05-2008, 06:15 AM
My 2nd 2nd opinion

Just as a refresher, I was going for a 2nd 2nd on my hyst for pelvic congestion, ovarian cysts, and nasty periods. My original doc said abdominal hyst leaving one ovary behind. My 1st 2nd opinion said she saw no reason for a hyst. I went yesterday for another 2nd opinion.

He asked me questions about my problems, asked me if I had tried bc, which I have only to end up with migraines. He gave me 2 options, one a hysterectomy and the other an ablation/tubal/hysterscope.

He told me I could have a supracervical laproscopic hysterectomy. Luckily the recovery is only 2 weeks. He also said we could try an ablation and tie my tubes, but that won't fix my ovary issues, and I may end up with a hysterectomy in the long run, making 2 surgeries. I think I am going to go for the lap-supracervical hyst towards the middle of March. I am going to do more research here as well...

Thanks ladies! Any feedback will be welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2008, 10:56 AM
My 2nd 2nd opinion

(((jbud))) I'm glad you are taking the time to think carefully about your options and seek additional opinions when they differ.

I would just caution you not to believe anyone who tells you that your recovery from a hysterectomy will be done in two weeks. Nonsense. You may FEEL great in two weeks - many women do - or you may not. But internally, your body will be healing for a good six months to a year. Also, I am wondering how, if an ablation and tying your tubes won't fix "ovary issues", how does a hysterectomy (LSH) do that? Or, are they suggesting you have your ovaries removed at the same time as well? (BSO) If so, I'd do a lot more research on life after ovary removal before signing on the dotted line.

I hope this helps! Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
s,
-Linda
Unread 02-05-2008, 12:11 PM
My 2nd 2nd opinion

Thanks...yes, they would take my left ovary. It is the one that has been causing me so many problems...they would leave my right one so I would not have surgically created menopause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2008, 12:33 PM
My 2nd 2nd opinion

Theoretically, that may be true. However, any time you have a hysterectomy, even keeping ovaries, you risk the possibility that the remaining ovary/ovaries may shut down as a result of losing a major portion of their blood supply. It doesn't happen to everybody, but it happens a lot - there are many posts here in our Post Op forum from women this has happened to. On average, women who have a hysterectomy and keep their ovaries go into natural menopause a few years earlier than if they had not had the hysterectomy - and that is more typical of what happens.

s,
-Linda
Unread 02-05-2008, 01:43 PM
My 2nd 2nd opinion

Thanks for the info. I am likely to go into early menopause due to chemo earlier (3 years ago) that put me into medically derived menopause. I just don't think I can face the pain every day anymore.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register