fading scar | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-05-2008, 03:39 PM
fading scar

I was just wanting to ask some of the sisters who have been recovering for a few months if there is something I can use on my scar to help it fade some.I know at 2 months there is still plenty of healing time left but I just wondered if there was some kind of oil or lotion I could be applying? Thanks for all you ladies have done for me over the last few months.
faith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2008, 04:43 PM
fading scar

Hello kylady2007,

For two years I worked for a plastic surgeon and his advice for scar tissue was: Use any kind of moisturizer (I use Albolene) and massage your scar many times during a day. It is not the type of moisturizer (Vit. E, etc) that you use, but the massaging that keeps a blood supply, which promotes healing. Also it prevents scabbing, which causes scars. I massage mine after I shower, every time I use the ladies room, and before bed. Even this far out from our surgeries, keep your hands clean, clean, clean! A closed incision can still get infected and it would be really bad at this point.

Disclaimer: My doctor agreed that this would be alright at my two-week follow-up. I have read about ladies who have issues with their incision, if you are not sure, ask your dr, but you are far enough, it should be fine.

Good luck!

bitterpill
Unread 02-05-2008, 05:12 PM
fading scar

This was a question I have been wondering about and a great answer. I had a LAVH so I just have three small incision scars. Two of them look good, but the other took longer to heal and is still very purple looking. The skin is smooth but the color bothers me. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2008, 05:46 PM
fading scar

stroutwoman,

Scarguard and Mederma are two brands that I know patients have used to massage their scars. But, patients that used whatever they liked and had on hand had the same results. Our scars will fade with time. Trust me, if there was something on the market that did what some of these scar ointments claimed they did, the doctor I worked for would be selling it by the ton with 100% markup.

Good luck,

bitterpill
Unread 02-05-2008, 05:51 PM
fading scar

Bitterpill,
Thanks so much for the response. I would have never thought about massaging the scars but it makes so much sense!
Unread 02-05-2008, 10:09 PM
fading scar

I have been using Mederma and it seems to be fading my scar faster than my c-section scar faded. When my DS had a HUGE laceration on his arm the ER doctor was the one to suggest the Mederma so I thought I'd try it on my scar as well. Didn't start it until the steri-strips were off and the scar was well closed.

I do think the scar massage is very important. It keeps the scar tissue mobile so it doesn't get bound down to unlying layers of tissue. When I massage a scar I go across the scar rather than with it; that was what they taught us to do in school. You do want to make sure that your incision is well healed before you try doing this though. Another benefit of scar massage is that it helps to make the scar less sensitive to contact. That may not be a concern with a laprascopic scar but it certainly is with my abdominal incision.

Good Luck!

SAH/LSO for benign ovarian tumors and abnormal bleeding
Unread 02-06-2008, 03:58 AM
fading scar

I'm a little over 6 months post op. I used Mederma on my scar, three times a day for several weeks (the stuff is expensive!!)...the scar is definitely fading..still has a long way to go, but it's getting better and better all the time. I too had a c-section, but that was 20 (!) years ago...so, to me the scar didn't matter...I had a second surgery immediately following the hyst for a bladder repair where they had to do a vertical cut over top of the scar fromt he section....but they cut from my belly button to the pubic bone...so, there really isn't too much I can do about it...

The laprascopic scars are much, MUCH lighter than the vertical scar...but as with everything else, it just takes time!

Happy healing!
Unread 02-06-2008, 01:10 PM
fading scar

I want to thank all of you for your advice. I would have written last night but here in western Ky. we had all kinds of severe weather and a few tornadoes.I use to love to watch the storms but we had a tornado come through our town a few years ago,and even though my family was blessed with very little damages I had alot of friends who lost their homes.God bless you all.
Faith
Unread 02-06-2008, 01:59 PM
fading scar

Hi there! What great advice! I do think the massaging helps b/c it feels good to me to rub my vertical abdominal incision (I'm 4 wks out). I am using vitamin E ointment that I got at the health food store. We used it on my husbands knees after his surgery and it healed his scars well. Also I like keeping the incision supple so that I do not accidentally scratch it if it should itch.
Unread 02-08-2008, 08:23 PM
fading scar

I haven't really thought about what my scar looks like other than a smile on my belly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register