How long after surgery before | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long after surgery before How long after surgery before

Unread 02-05-2008, 10:02 PM
How long after surgery before

I start trusting my body again? Ever since I started having bleeding issues (about 10 or more years ago), I have been afraid to not wear some kind of protection from unexpected bleeding, whether it be a panty liner or an overnight pad, and I never left home without extra pads, tampons, etc. I know I am only 2 weeks post-op, but I was wondering how long before you think the uneasiness goes away? I mean, I keep expecting to start bleeding or spotting and every time I go to the restroom, I expect blood when I wipe. Granted, so far I have been pleasently surprised to not see any blood, but...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Hi! I think given a 10 year history of bleeding issues, it may take you awhile to get used to the idea of not needing all the extra supplies. I've had abnormal bleeding most of my life and now that I'm 7 weeks post op, I still find myself expecting to see blood on the tissue. I did have bleeding/spotting for about 3 weeks after surgery and then again after my 6 week check (which was also my annual visit so she did a pap smear.) I still haven't cleaned out my drawer with all my tampons, pads etc. but am figuring pretty soon I'm going to donate them all to my DD!!

It sounds like, from reading and from my surgeon, there still is a risk of "mini-periods" when you keep your cervix and ovaries. My GYN/ONC surgeon said he did an oblation of the glands of my cervix to try to prevent that from happening. Still hard for me to believe I won't be bleeding like I was before!

Hope you get some peace of mind on this soon.

SAH/LSO for benign ovarian tumors and abnormal bleeding
Unread 02-06-2008, 07:09 AM

It's going to take a while before many of us realize we no longer have to worry about that...

I have been finding it kinda fun to make comical remarks.....
On Sunday while DH and I were at the grocery store, we passed by the aisle with the feminine products and I said..."nope, we never need anything from that aisle again" hahaha
I also bought a new purse at Christmas time and just this past week, I was transferring from my old one and came across my supply... I told DH "my purse is too big now because I don't need any of this stuff!"
I told DH that Mother Nature got the "boot" for Christmas!!!

I have been having some fun with it for sure....

We will also eventually reach that point when we don't think about it anymore... won't be watching for it... won't be worrying about it....
Won't it be liberating???!!!! wooo hoooo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2008, 07:26 AM

Hi bean_dog

I'm 8 weeks post-op, and had some spotting post-op, then quite alot at 4+ weeks (which was dissolving internal stitches - very common)...

...but then at 7 weeks I felt very hormonal and then had some pink spotting, definite blood and now spotting - lasted for 5 days. I seem to be one of the unlucky people that have had the mysterious mini-period.

I kept my cervix, and was told it had been cauterised so that I wouldn't have this. Apparently the cervix has its own lining which comes away monthly. I am feeling very lucky that my surgery was straightforward, but quite down about this..

Still think this is very unlikely for most people,

So, hope you can get rid of your pads etc. asap, but maybe just wait a little longer..
take care
Unread 02-06-2008, 08:06 AM

I'm the same way. I can't seem to get my mind around the fact that that part of my life is over. I think it will take awhile before I can truly believe it. I cannot wait to start buying white pants and shorts!! Wee haaa!!
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:09 AM

After my TAH, I had bleeding only the first day after surgery then nothing since then. (don't have cervix, kept ovaries) I am now 4 weeks post-op. It's been great not needing any supplies. Still have to wait and see what happens when interior stitches dissolve. I am thrilled that I no longer will need to carry around a huge purse filled with "stuff."
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:13 AM

I was the same way , carrying the pads and tampons aalways. I am about 7 weeks post and I fell great, I have not spotted since 2 weeks post bvut I didn't feel safe until 6 weeks post and then I went to GARBAGE can. IT WAS THE BEST FELLING. Hope you all have the same.
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:17 AM

Wow. I didn't realize so many others felt the same way. Glad to know it isn't just me being, well, me. Thank you for the support, ladies. You all are great!
Unread 02-06-2008, 11:49 AM

I had surgery in november and today, as I am eating my lunch and checking in on the ladies, I have on light colored pants and no worries...YEAH!!! I actually gave all my supplies to my DD. Went to the grocery store the other day and started snickering to myself when I passed the 'dreaded isle' It is liberating...wait until you realize that you can go snowmobiling, fishing, camping, hiking, EVERYTHING without having to worry about bathroom facilities...woo hoo...I even went to a party the other night and did not even bring a handbag because I didn't need to carry all the junk around it is a beautiful thing ladies...
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:46 PM

Yeah, every time I go to the store it's almost a reflex to go to "that" aisle. But now I feel like I can remove an entire "line item" from our family budget without having to shell out all that money all the time! Almost as good as when all my kids finally got out of diapers!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register