Incision opening at 4 weeks post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incision opening at 4 weeks post-op Incision opening at 4 weeks post-op

Unread 02-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Incision opening at 4 weeks post-op

Hi, I'm 33, had my TAH and BSO on Jan 7 for ovarian malignancy. One week after I had trouble urinating and it took 10 days to have a BM. I can't eat very well because I have 20+ mouth sores in my mouth.

At 4 week post op, I woke up and the bed was soaked. Thought it was a "urination issue" but my incision (horizontal) had opened up in the middle in 3 different parts, the biggest one about 1 inch. Yellow pus and blood have been oozing for 3 days. That part of the incision looks red and swollen. The whole pubic area looks swollen and is very painful. I don't see how I can go to work like this.

I thought the incision would feel better with time, not worse. Have had a couple UTIs and took antibiotics. Had a yeast infection and it went away by itself (before UTI).

I haven't called the doctor because I don't want to bother them with something that might be nothing. How long does the oozing last? And should I cover it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2008, 02:49 PM

So sorry that you are having complications.
You do need to call your doctor asap or you may need to go to the ER.
Unread 02-06-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey1616
At 4 week post op, I woke up and the bed was soaked. Thought it was a "urination issue" but my incision (horizontal) had opened up in the middle in 3 different parts, the biggest one about 1 inch. Yellow pus and blood have been oozing for 3 days. That part of the incision looks red and swollen. The whole pubic area looks swollen and is very painful. I don't see how I can go to work like this.

I haven't called the doctor because I don't want to bother them with something that might be nothing. How long does the oozing last? And should I cover it up?
This is not nothing. You must call your or go to an ER. There is no question that you need to be seen - even if they only give you something to dress the incision with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2008, 03:43 PM

Hey You need to call the doctor I don't want to scare you but my girlfriends incision opened up from when she had a c-section and it opened in two places and pus came out too like you stated and she waited too long and they had to open the rest of it up and pack and she had to heal from the inside out packing and cleaning it every day. It took so long to heal and she had so many problems with it and infection issues too. She ended up getting a staph infection and was in the hospital too about midway through the healing process. Don't wait too long go in just show up Good luck
Unread 02-06-2008, 04:01 PM

Please go now...if nothing else you have signs of incisional infection! Take care...don't even think of work - you come first!
Unread 02-06-2008, 04:13 PM

you really should get to an ER asap but call the dr and let him know you are going!!
Unread 02-06-2008, 04:43 PM

Definitely go to the ER, and please let us know how you are!!
Unread 02-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Get to ER ASAP

You really need to get to the ER or to your physician. What you have described is an infection, and it will not go away w/o treatment. From what you wrote, you are a trooper with a very high pain and discomfort tolerance... that can work to your disadvantage. It did me. I kept thinking things were not as bad as they seemed - and ended up wuth a TAH after having an appendectomy resulting from a burst cyst. I should have gone in MUCH sooner - but I am 54, and thought I knew better. I thought it was all because of menopause. HA! Two surgeries later, I am smarter. Please get help, and let us know how you are doing!
Unread 02-06-2008, 06:20 PM

Hi Hershey1616,

First of all, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but please, do what all the other ladies have stated to do - go to the ER or call your dr and tell her/him what is going on asap.

Second, let me tell you, I had an allergic reaction the night of my surgery from Oxycontyn. I was told by a moron of a resident that I had to pull myself up out of bed, and walk or be pushed in a wheelchair to the MRI and Cat Scan area because I was heavy. I voted for the wheelchair being so exhausted. Well, that just opened up my incision. I had staples mind you.

Lastly, I have been in the Wound Care Center, which is in the hospital, dealing with my wound being open ever since that night, and here we are in February. You heal from the inside out. This is no picnic. The longer you wait to have it treated, the worst it will be for you in the end. And as for the pain factor, oh it is there all right. My surgery was like me stubbing my toe compared to the pain I have when my incision is debreded and packed. No amount of novacain or lidocain really helps either.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Blessings all around!
Unread 02-06-2008, 07:40 PM

I agree with everybody else. Please either call your doctor or go to the ER. It does not sound like nothing to me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register