Question for those who kept ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question for those who kept ovaries Question for those who kept ovaries

Unread 02-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Question for those who kept ovaries

When did your hot flashes start? Or did you have any? I have not had 1 hot flash and I'm almost 11 wks post-op. I've had some occassional nightsweats though. Just wondering if maybe I won't be a "hot flash" person? Just don't want them showing up out of the blue and me freaking out when I have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2008, 06:41 AM

I have had only 1 hot flash and it was probably about 2 weeks after I had surgery. My face got hot and red, I was sweating pretty bad. The waist band of my sweats were soaking wet so was my bra.

It was a little uncomfortable for a bit but nothing to sweat....ha ha.
Unread 02-07-2008, 08:55 AM

I kept mine - had a tah- 7 weeks ago. i see your further out. so unsure if thing rings true for you...

but i thought the consenses was - if you kept overies and they are working- you shouldnt really have hot flashes. though ive heard they can go into shock for a week or so. then kick back in.

i had one hot flash- or i had a fever and it broke- about 5 days after surgery. then nothing.

i do notice that just about time i would have had a period i get pms for about 3 days. so i have been keeping track on the calendar same as before to see if it keeps on track with that and kind of if they are working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2008, 11:32 AM

MsDee2

If you kept your ovaries and they're working properly, then you shouldn't experience any hot flashes. Some ladies experience hot flashes and/or night sweats in the initial weeks following surgery if their ovaries have gone into "shock", but then the majority find everything settles down.

At 11 weeks post-op, you should be clear of the time where hot flashes may show up as a result of surgery trauma ~ especially if you've not had any so far.

Unread 02-07-2008, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the info! I thought hot flashes and nightsweats went hand-in-hand and I had one, but not the other. Didn't want it to happen suddenly and it scare me.
Unread 02-07-2008, 03:50 PM

I have had several hot flashes that started at about 1.5 weeks. Night sweats have come and gone since week 2 but seem to be coming less often lately.
Unread 02-07-2008, 04:57 PM

I was having the odd hot flash starting about 1.5 weeks & then at 2 weeks the nightsweats started. For me both subsided by week 4.
Unread 02-07-2008, 06:27 PM

Just my 2cents but I had TVH & kept ovaries a little over 3mo ago & I haven't had any hot flashes or sweats & I'm 36...

I had asked my Dr. at pre-op about the 'ovaries going into shock' thing & he seemed to dismiss that notion as not being totally true..
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:06 PM

Hi

If you kept your ovaries then you will probably keep having "a period" until you run out of eggs and would be due to go into menopause. I kept my ovaries and a year later I'm still having a monthly period; PMS, zits and all!

So if you have kept your ovaries then, like me, hopefully you will not have any hot flushes yet.

Give your body time to get used to life post surgery, it can take 6 months for this to happen. And don't forget to keep coming back to this website, I know hystersisters kept me going and the support is fantastic!
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:12 PM

I have not had any hot flashes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register