Hospital bill - Oh my!! - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital bill - Oh my!! Hospital bill - Oh my!!

Unread 02-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulSis
As I am in Canada - my only charge was for my phone - $9.00 - everything else for my 3 day stay, including my prescriptions all covered. If I would have had to pay for it I never would have been able to have it - that must be a terrible situation for some women to be in if they do not have insurance. I hope it doesn't happen too often.

TAH (kept ovaries) V.

I too live in Canada and am thankful for our health coverage, especially since reading all your posts!!! I had to pay for my TV for my 3 days in (and even my Aunt covered that!). I am with you HopefulSis I never would have been able to have this surgery if not for our health care.

What in the world would you do if you didn't have insurance coverage? I am just in complete shock of the amounts you all see bills for!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

Is this a Seattle thing LOL I am up North in Everett I guess next time I will head over to Bellevue for great care LOL I have yet to get a bill I did get a bill for the emergency room visit in November that led to this and just that visit was over 3000.00 cant wait to see the one for the bad care I got for three days. I am a lucky one I don't live in Canada but I work for a school district and hav great union insurance and my DH is a Union electrician So I an not only Double covered but with great insurance on both ends. I also signed up for optional st disability or I would never have been able to get this done until july when school got out.
Unread 02-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

I too am from Canada and I had no out of pocket expenses except for my doctor to complete my disability forms. I dont even have a clue what my bill was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

WOW. I got my bill for a TAH, and it was only about $4000. We do have a lot of doctor's here though.... Ummm .... I really hope they took out what they said they were going to!
Unread 02-11-2008, 05:49 PM
VA bill

I had surgery on Dec 18 VAG HYST
just got my bill...
$39,000ish (surgery/anest./2 day stay/labs)
again thank goodness for insurance, even if it's
COBRA :/
Unread 02-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Hospital bills - scary!!

Hi USA sisters - I am in shock having read how much you have to pay. We all moan about the NHS (national health service) in England but at least healthcare is free. We don't pay anything on the first £80 per week we earn but then pay 11% NI (national insurance contributions) to the government, so I suppose it costs a similar amount to your private insurance payments? The trouble is, I don't understand what ladies who need a hysterectomy do in America if they don't have insurance. Surely there must be some state asistance for people who really can't afford urgent care?
Unread 02-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

My family and I just relocated back to our hometown area.
We have both been looking for work, I chose to take some courses. I have a state sitting exam on Feb. 16th, my birthday lol.
But we has no choice but to get medical insurance through our state.
On Monday when I got my staples out, I had to pay 2.00 yes 2 dollars on my surgeon/gyno bill for the surgery. That bill was over 3,000. I might have to pay a small amount for the hospital, and such.
But for women whom do not have health insurance, there are options~~ however there seems to be a somewhat secret dislike for ppl who have to get help from the gov. here. I see no problem asking for help when we have put so much into the system over the years. jmo
I am glad that we qualified for the program.
Unread 02-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

ahdawnn~

Same... We moved to CO a little over 2 yrs ago, and my husband had just got his teaching degree. We came with no job, no family, just a leap of faith that this was where God wanted us. That first year DH was a sub, and he and our 2 DD were able to get private insurance. My DS is mild autistic, so automatic denial for private ins, as was I due to my gyn problems. DS and I both were on Medicaid, and I had D&C with lap while on it. I paid $5.00 for my surgery, $0 for pain meds. Now we have regular insurance as DH is teaching full time, but I also see nothing wrong with asking for help if you need it. There was no way I could have gone to the doc or had that OP surg done otherwise, I would have had to suffer through...
Unread 02-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

****, I now reinforce all the reasons why I left the United States! I'm now in Belgium and even though I haven't received the bills yet, I know all will be taken care of by <No insurance names as per the site TOS. Thanks!> health care and what isn't will be taken care of by my work insurance. I had a total abdominal hyst, and spent 7 days in the hospital in a private room. I won't have to pay more than 100 euros.
I can't imagine how awful it must be to be without insurance in the states and have to have a hyst. I suppose some people choose to suffer rather than go broke.
Granted, our taxes are higher here, but I never have to worry about going to the hospital or the doctor and what the charges are. When I lived stateside it was a constant worry......and of course I still worry about my parents.....mom has no healthcare insurance and father survives on veterans benefit healthcare.
Unread 02-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

Yes, i agree that hospital bills are expensive here in the USA. but, I do think people in the US who do not have medical insurance are able to be covered by the government in some way or another.

So, there are ways to get medical attention without being stuck with a $30,000 bill to be paid.

I do feel so lucky, though, for excellent health insurance. My husband and I were just talking about that last night. I don't have my bill yet (since I'm only 9 days post-op), but I'm sure it'll be similar to the amounts on this thread. But, last night I was in the ER for 6 hours and had a lot of tests and scans done.... my husband and I were thankful again about how we have excellent health insurance. I would not be surprised if my ER bill from yesterday will be $6,000 - $8,000 considering all of the tests and scans I had done. Maybe it'll be more than that.

I had knee surgery 2 years ago, and the 4 months of physical therapy, the doctor's appointments, plus the surgery (no hospital stay), it was $16,000, and we paid nothing....

With thsi surgery, I don't know if it'll be as good when I had knee surgery and we won't have to pay anything, but if we do have to pay, I'm sure it'll be very little.

I felt like i have had excellent care from day one, so I feel lucky for not only great health insurance, but also being able to choose my own doctors without the insurance company telling me who I should go to.

As for the government paying, I have no problems with this. I think if people can get government assistance, that is great. Not everyone has excellent health insurance, or opportunities to have excellent health insurance, and this often can be out of their control.

My brother had a great job and he had a family, but something happened and he lost his job due to disability issues, and they lost their heath insurance. His wife got pregnant (not planned) shortly after this happened (so it wasn't pre-existing). She was able to have her baby at a government run hospital all for free. So, they were taken care of.

I find it so interesting to hear how insurance works and health care works around the world!! It's fun to learn about all the different countries.

Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register