Anyone else stuck with a catheter? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else stuck with a catheter? Anyone else stuck with a catheter?

Unread 02-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Anyone else stuck with a catheter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanofpeace
Just wondering, too -- for those of you who came home with a foley and then returned to your doctor to check if it could be removed, how long did they give you to try and pee? What they did with me was put some sterile water in my bladder, then give me about 15 minutes on the toilet. The nurse (well-meaning, I'm sure) kept popping her head in every two minutes to see how it was going, which made me more and more nervous, which I'm sure didn't help. I felt the fullness in my bladder and an urge to pee, but nothing happened. I'm wondering if I had more time, and a bit more privacy, if it would have happened... Oh well, now I just have to wait until the 17th to try again.

Hugs to all,

Katherine

Rad. Hyst. 1/28 w/ BSO and lympadenectomy for cerv. canc. 1B2
Hey Katherine - I will wait until you are in less pain to tell you my story of the day that I got my divorce from Mr. Foley Catheter. I don't want to make you laugh right now.

The day that I got the catheter out - I had my 2 week follow-up with my GYN that did my surgery. The urologist sent me to that appointment with a bottle of water (they had already filled me with the sterile water) and told me that I could not leave until I went to the bathroom. So, I didn't have a monitor or a time limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2008, 12:21 AM

I too had to come home with one. I only had to keep it 5 days, but developed a UTI in the meantime. Did they check you for that? I was getting little flecks of blood in my bag, and could feel the urgency even with the cath. Mine didn't exactly hurt either, and I think it did serve to keep me from being too active. I had a leg bag, but it was uncomfortable for me...the tube didn't seem to drain well with it. I stuck with the big bag and just walked around the house for the most part. I did use the leg bag to go out a few times. I wish you the best. Next time they take it out, try running some water while you try to go.
Unread 02-10-2008, 12:24 AM

Sorry...I'm going back and reading other posts. I think the reason they may give you a time limit is to reduce the risk of damage to your bladder. If it is too full, it can hurt it. I would ask for more privacy next time. I also found sometimes that holding a warm wet cloth "down there" helped me relax enough to go. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2008, 03:08 AM

I had to come home with a cath and after a week I went to see my doc. They pulled it and sent me home to try with strict instructions that if I didn't go that I was to come back; not to wait; not to call. Thankfully by the time I got to my house I needed to go! It was a strain to get the flow started (using my peri bottle with warm water helped) and it burned a little but as the day went on it got better and better.

Seeing this post made me sit and recall all I went through and it really is a distant memory!

Good Luck to you--
Unread 02-10-2008, 05:06 AM

I had this prob for about 14 days. I even got so I had to take it out at home then wait to see if I had peeed. It is very hard to keep that stupid thing in. It hurt me and I hated walking around with it. I even had to go to a urologist to see if I was retanting. ASk your physican if he can do a bladder scan on you to see how much you are retaining after you void.
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:20 PM
thanks!

Thanks for all your advice and experiences! I am going to try to stay sane until the 17th when I can try again to get it out. It's a big old drag, but it could always be worse... I think I may be ready for the funny stories now!

Katherine
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanofpeace
Thanks for all your advice and experiences! I am going to try to stay sane until the 17th when I can try again to get it out. It's a big old drag, but it could always be worse... I think I may be ready for the funny stories now!

Katherine
Ok, so I switch to my leg bag for the drive to the doctors. My drive is about an hour and I have been ing water since I got out of surgery as though there will soon be no water. When I switch I am not positive that anything is flowing, but I get in the car and my mom drives to the . I had 2 appointments - 1 with the urologist and 1 was my 2 week (actually 18 day) follow-up with the GYN.

All of a sudden, my leg gets warm. We are about 1/2 way there. I roll up my pants leg and see that the grand and wonderous leg bag is filling - FAST. I finally get there and we park. We are walking through the parking garage and I tell my mom that I think that the bag is slipping. She tells me to walk faster. Umm, can't really manage that, but I try afterall, mom knows best. Finally I say, I think the bag is in my sock and I stop to check. I look down and the bag has come out from under my sweat pants leg and is perfectly balanced on my shoe. All I could do was laugh. The bag is full, I am laughing and my mom says - why don't you let some out here behind this pole. RIGHT, so that I can have urine in my sock and shoe - minus the bag. No thanks.

I fix the bag and get it up high so that I can get to the rest room. I get into the office and the receptionist says, wait, come and check in before you go to the bathroom - she sees me running in that direction. I scream across this crowded waiting room - Nope, Can't. Catheter leg bag is in my sock about to spring a leak. She runs to get the urology and they run into the bathroom to tell me it's ok to empty and all they hear is splash splash splash. Good thing it was ok. So they leave. I finish and wash my hands. I walk out of the bathroom and get a standing ovation by the people in the waiting room.

I guess I should have been embarrassed, but I wasn't. There was a man sitting with his wife and she turns to him and says, see that's a healthy attitude. He had his big bag and was hiding it and was trying not to let people know that he had it. I told him that I have a twisted sense of humor so don't feel obligated to go the route that I went.

The reality of the situation was, I was not trying to supply comic relief for the waiting room, I was trying to keep from being in pain or having a real mess.

I'm praying that you have a successful time the next go round. Think of my bag balanced an my shoe and just let go .... Laughing may trigger something to work.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register