Scar revision - plastic surgeon or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scar revision - plastic surgeon or not? Scar revision - plastic surgeon or not?

Unread 02-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Scar revision - plastic surgeon or not?

My gyn-oncologist has suggested scar revision surgery for my hysterectomy scar. It really needs it! But I'm wondering if I should let him do it or find a plastic surgeon.

I have never healed well in this area from 4 surgeries (c-section, hysterectomy, oopherectomy, cancer staging) so I am very apprehensive about getting cut there again. But my incision is ugly and uncomfortable. I'm hopeful that a proper revision surgery will fix it for good!

mecy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2008, 05:40 PM

i had one after i was left with a terrible looking csection scar. i used a plastic surgeon. it was actually a mini tummy tuck..he tightened it all up and created a brand new hip to hip scar that is very flat and barely noticable. my other one was concave with a ridge above it that stuck out.
Unread 02-07-2008, 06:17 PM

Hi Mecy I would definitely at least consult a plastic surgeon if you're considering scar revision surgery. I developed a huge, hard, angry keloid from a vertical incision from colon surgery several years ago, and saw a plastic surgeon. He told me that if I had a tendency to develop keloids, chances were pretty good that scar revision would just result in the formation of another one. He ended up prescribing Aldara cream to treat my scar, and told me if that didn't help (it did, somewhat) he would recommend cortisone injections into the scar but NOT the scar revision.

However, that said, other women have had great success with scar revision surgery.

I think if it bothers you enough that you would consider going through another surgery and recovery to improve the appearance, it's worth seeing a plastic surgeon.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2008, 09:25 PM

Does insurance pay if a plastic surgeon does it? My gyn-onc said it would pay for him to do it.
Unread 02-07-2008, 09:27 PM

I also wanted to ask how painful scar revision surgery is? Anything like the hysterectomy?
Unread 02-08-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecy
Does insurance pay if a plastic surgeon does it? My gyn-onc said it would pay for him to do it.
would your scar revision be medically necessary? mine wasnt...it was something that really bothred me but it was something i could have lived with, according to my insurance company. they did not pay any of it.
Unread 02-08-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecy
I also wanted to ask how painful scar revision surgery is? Anything like the hysterectomy?

i'm not really sure that what i had would technically be called a scar revision. thats what i went for but what i ended up with was a tighter tummy and a new low scar that runs hip to hip. if its possible to just remove your old scars and create a new clean scar..i wouldnt think it wouldnt be too painful at all. schedule a consult with a plastic surgeon and see what he thinks should be done.
Unread 02-08-2008, 11:01 AM

If you can, see a plastic surgeon. You didn't have your family practice doc do the hysterectomy, why have a GYN do a plastic surgery? When I had a small skin cancer removed from my face the insurance company let me see a plastic surgeon instead of having the dermatologist do it. I am really glad I did, he took his time and followed the "smile" lines so it is nearly invisible now and I just had it done in December. A plastic surgeon is more up to date on techniques to minimize scaring and making it look good is what he is invested in. No one would go to a plastic surgeon that left bad scars, but with a GYN other things are more important so they may be a fantastic surgeon for removal or reconstruction, but not spent a lot of time learning how to make the least scar.
Unread 02-08-2008, 02:31 PM

Mecy,
I had a scar revision done several years after my hyst. Mine was done by a very skilled general surgeon. I had consulted a plastic surgeon at one point, but the one I saw thought my problems were more than just surface. As it turns out there was alot of scar tissue in there.

My incision had also moved up my abdomen and was nearly to just under my rib cage, making wearing pants extremely difficult. My incision was also red and very lumpy. I was seeing the general surgeon for issues other than my scar, but when he saw it the first thing he said was "I am going to take care of that for you."

He did a fabulous job! He actually moved the incision to just below my bikini line. That was back in 2002, today the scar has faded and is barely noticeable. I think accupuncture has helped that also.

I am definetly not sorry I had it done! I think it is the skill of the doctor doing the revision that matters most. My surgeon also removed a large cyst from my neck. Today the scar is barely noticeable. No one else notices it, only I do occassionally, probably just because I know it is there.

Good luck! Find a doctor that you trust. Do keep us posted on what you decide.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register