Help (Baby mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help (Baby mentioned) Help (Baby mentioned)

Unread 02-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Help (Baby mentioned)

I had a hysterectomy in November... To make a long story short.... I am 27 had a healthy baby girl medical staff left placenta in me, went to urgent care 2 days after leaving hosptial because I had a temp, urgent care gave me bladder infection medicine... Still bleeding at 6 week check up doctors told me I was fine. Pushed to have ultra sound, found out the docs left placenta in me... They told me I had to have d&C. They screwed up... 3 days later started hemmeroging went to ER by ambulance doctor sent me home. Kept calling the other doc told me he did not want to call someone in for an ultra sound to pay them time and a half. kept calling finally had my husband drive me back to er. Demanded someone look at me because I had shoulder pain and still dropping the pancake blood clots. FINALLY they took it seriously.... So here I am with a hysterectomy and 13 blood transfusions later

HELP I dont know what I should be doing or feeling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Help (Baby mentioned)

All I can say is WOW! I am so sorry that you are so young and going through this. As far as the Hysterectomy and your feelings, it varies for each sister. Remember that most of us here knew and had time to plan, or grieve our surgery. I think that being emotional/confused is going to be very normal. I know that there are a few others here that have been in your situation. Maybe they will come along and help you.
Did you get to keep your ovaries?

Best Wishes
Unread 02-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Help (Baby mentioned)

(((snuggles071700)))

I'm so sorry this has happened and you had to have the hysterectomy. How are you doing with your recovery? I can imagine if you needed the transfusions that you have dealt with some pretty severe anemia.

Along with the physical recovery this has to be quite an emotional adjustment too. Everyone is different in how they heal. Initial healing normally will take 6 to 8 wks, but complete healing often takes six months to a year. If you have complications during your recovery these time frames can also be different. At this point you should be beginning to rebuild some strength as you gradually work your way back into normal routines.

Please let us know how you are and if there are specific things we can help you with. There's a lot of good information in the Checkpoints . You're quite a ways past most of this, but it might be helpful for you to do some reading there. There is also a lot of good information in the Post-Op Articles .

I hope you're beginning to feel somewhat better. We're always here to listen and help in anyway we can.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Wondering what to feel 3 months after

I to everyones surprise did not have anemia even after all those blood transfusions!! When I was pregnant I worked out everyday and believe me I am not one of those health nuts I just wanted to be healthy for the baby and knowing how much junk I eat, I needed to stay in shape. The doctors said it was really a good thing I was in the shape I was in. It is just weird one minute I am trying to lose baby weight and now I am trying to gain weight. I am just wondering is it normal to have some pelvic pain 3 months out. I did get to keep my ovaries. I can not even explain the ordeal my family and I had to go through. You know though I have a wonder family and a beautiful baby girl...(thankgoodness) I have having different emotions everyday. It my life I have to except it and there is no point everyday to be angry with the doctors. In every profession there are errors in my case, there were 9 medical errors. So one issue I am having is my anxiety about still possibly bleeding internally because that is what was happening because of the error in the D&C. I am seeing a counselor but any advice on what people feel after these... I have some pretty nice war wounds I just look at them and think I am one tough cookie... Who would have known!
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Help (Baby mentioned)

I am so sorry for what you have been through.

Has your dr. ever appologized or at least talked to you about what happened. I agree with you that it is unhealthy to carry around the anger forever, but it is part of the grieving process. But I also think that if your dr. has never talked to you about this it might help for you to ask to have 30 min or so of his time to sit down and calmly talk about this. He needs to know that he screwed up and cannot treat patients this way! Im sure he is defensive because he is afraid of a lawsuit. But he at least owes you an apology. If he cannot give you that I hope that you have already switched dr.s.
I am 7 months out and still having some pelvic pain. But you should check with you dr. just to be on the save side.
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:33 AM
New Doctor

I do have a new doctor. I tried to get out of my doctor a lot of answers and she had a lot of stories. One was she was sorry this happened she was having a hard time at home....ummm... Then when I was recovering she brought her kids to my recovery room and had to excuse herself to go yell at them.... So needless to say I will not ever see her again or the ER doc that told me I was fine!

I was just out shopping yesterday and was wearing heals and I noticed that my pelvic pain was last night and it looked a little inflammed. I am just afraid of something busting open inside.... I know it sounds crazy but I just am. I think now I am a little bit of a hypochodriac...

I still have my ovaries will I still feel side effects as if I am getting my period?
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Help (Baby mentioned)

Congratulations on your new family member...I hope that you are able to gain strength in the connection that you have with her. Being a new mom is stressful enough, with many changes that happen to your body and to your life. You have so much on your plate...I am happy to hear that you are working with a councelor, but as you feel better don't forget to try to get involved with the things that you worked so hard for...to have a health baby.
I totally agree that mourning the loss of your uterus, being angry at the situation that happened(How horrible) are things that need to happen...but perhaps your daughter will be able to help you. Don't know where you are...but I would hope that you are able to get quality care now for you and your family. Looking forward to your life will be important so that you all develop as a positive family....I am not saying ignore what happened, perhaps you need good legal counsel too...but nurture the positive things in your life, get help and sleep when the baby does!
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Help (Baby mentioned)

I am not sure it is hypochondria. I was reading yesterday it can take up to a year to completely heal from the hysterectomy, so the heels could have done some damage. If the swelling and pain continues you might want to see the Dr. to be sure. You had a really rough time of things.

I too am sorry to hear what you have been through because of negligience on the part of your Dr.
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Help (Baby mentioned)

I am so sorry you had to go through what you did! Like all the women have said, it takes time to recover physically and emotionally. I really feel though that if you haven't already it would be a good idea to get legal counsel. It sounds like more than one of the people you saw were very negligent.
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Help (Baby mentioned)

Snuggles-

After your ordeal, some healthy skepticism on your part is warranted and hard earned. You are not a hypochondriac, you just know what worst case scenario feels like and you aim to avoid it as much as possible. I would call you one smart cookie.

Congrats on your healthy baby girl. What a blessing your family has been to you. You have certainly been blessed through this entire ordeal.

I hope your recovery is steady from this point on.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register