Laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy: LSH complications | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy: LSH complications Laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy: LSH complications

Unread 02-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy: LSH complications

Anybody have a supercervical lap and have complications? I have had major complications and am having another surgery to repair the major damage. I had my lsh in May of 2007. I have had severe pain since I left the hospital. Doctor kept telling me it was just "part of getting better". After 6 months and monthly visits to doctor, I decided to get second opinion. Good thing I did. New doctor said my entire insides have become attached. Just to move is painful. Please, make sure you really research your doctor and this procedure before you make this risky choice of surgery. I found out after the surgery all the small risks the doctors don't tell you. Well, the small risks happened to me and had I known them before hand I would of approached this whole surgery differently. I definetly would of tried holistic measures. If anyone is interested, I can explain in more detail what has happened to me. My new doctor said he is seeing more and more patients with my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2008, 09:57 AM

i'm so sorry youre having complications. i have never heard of the complications you are speaking of and thankfully didnt have any. i hope your new dr can help you
are the risks you are speaking about just with the lsh or with a hysterectomy in general?
Unread 02-09-2008, 10:17 AM

I had a supracervical and I am experiences a few complications times and at other I am fine. I have pin/needles in the stomach and pelvic area. Also, I feel pain deep in my cervix sometimes. I had my right ovary removed and still get pain if I do too much. I believe that some of my organs are attahced also. My surgeon brushes me off when I call and says that it is just part of healing. I stopped calling him and will go to my regular GYN in April to c what is going on. I also itch down there pretty frequently and my surgeon called in some cream and it helps when I need it, but too me it isn't normal. He says that it is yeast. Overall, I do feel better than before surgery, just might need a little repair down the road. I believe that it is adhesions again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2008, 10:38 AM

As I spoke of, my doctor brushed me off too. My cervix is so tender that I haven't had intercourse since before my surgery in May. My new doctor is going to remove my cervix and right ovary. He is almost positive they are stuck together. Which is supposed to be rare since when a LSH is performed the doctor places mesh over your cervix to prevent any adhensions or attachments. Again, small risks doctors don't reveal. Had they spoke of this I may of chose another route to my hysterectomy. My new doctor thinks my bladder and intestines may also be included in the attachments. He bases this on my other symtoms and location of my pain. I am concerned about having another surgery and all the risks. But at this point I have no other options. I did have options before my LSH. Now I don't. I can't stress enough to women to throughly research hysterectomy's and all the different approaches doctors take towards this major and life changing surgery.
Unread 02-09-2008, 12:06 PM

I agree that I really, really didn't want this. I had tried the lap surgery and it worked for over 3 yrs. I decided on this since I could keep most of my parts. I believe to and haven't seen a dr yet, that things have adhered together. I sometimes feel like I am having a period, but no blood. My dr. cautherized the cervix to prevent that. My bowels are also a little more sluggish. I don't want another surgery because they will want to remove my one ovary left. I knew that sex would feel more natural keeping the cervix. Now u have to have open surgery?
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:37 PM

My doctor doesn't know what kind of surgery he will do. He is going in lap first and then decide. He has me prepared for an adominal incision or a vaginal incision. Either way, more major surgery with more organs taken. My doctor catherized my cervix too but I still have mini periods every month. And I have pain all day concerning my bowels. When ever something is moving in them I have to stop what I am doing, sit and be still. People just look at me. Crazy. As for sex, I pray that me and my husband with get that back. I just don't have any choice whether to have surgery or not and that stinks. Just remember to listen to your body and if your doctor doesn't listen to you about it find a new doctor.
Unread 02-09-2008, 10:23 PM

Pain,
Do you still have your ovaries? Is your tummy bigger? It seems to me that my organs have been pushed up. My belly is bigger above and below my navel. I think that you just have a lot of adhesions in there and will be fine after the lap. I don't have mini periods, but still PMS. My breast get so sore before my dry cycle. I have always tried to encourage my g-friends on the outside to try something before they made such a major decision in their 30s. I am having an endoscopy procedure the end of the month just to rule out hernia, ulcers, etc. Then I will go to my regular GYN that wanted me to try lupron before a hyster. You r in my prayers.
Unread 02-10-2008, 02:23 PM

I am sorry you are needing to have a trachelectomy, RSO, and sounds like lysis of adhesions.

Will your doctor be using any type of adhesion barrier this time around to try to prevent future adhesions? Will your doctor be able to remove any adhesions that could be connected to your bowels which could be why you feel so much pain as your bowels are contracting and moving things along? Is this surgeon skilled with dealing with the bladder if there are adhesions there as well? Sounds like you are going to be needing a very skilled and meticulous surgeon for your surgery!

As an aside, have other health conditions been considered such as IBS? I ask as I have IBS and just had lysis of adhesions involving the bowel. Between the two, things could be pretty miserable! A gastroenterologist might have some helpful suggestions.

I wish you all the best and I hope you find relief for your symptoms soon! in there! S
Unread 02-10-2008, 02:55 PM

I am so sorry that you are in pain and are having to go through additional surgery. I hope and pray that your new doctor will be able to help you.

I had an LSH/BSO last July. It has been 6 months, and I was just going to come on here and say how much better I feel. I only say this to tell others to be sure they have a highly reputable surgeon for the job. I had horrible adhesions prior to the surgery, as I had a goretex patch that had attached my bowels to my left ovary to the uterus to the widespread endo that I had; the pictures I saw post-op looked like I had a basketball in me.

I can't remember the name of the stuff the surgeon squirted into me to try and prevent additional adhesions, but it must have worked. It stays inside the pelvic area for 4 days before coming out.... which gives everything a chance to heal a bit without adhering to anything.

Also, I had (at times) very painful s*x prior to my LSH, but feel a HUGE improvement in that area!

I say all this so that people won't think it is the LSH itself that is the problem, but a whole lot of other factors... including the expertise of the surgeon. And any ladies that are suffering out there... never give up and keep on praying for God's guidance and healing. Our Maker knows us the best and loves us the most. Cast all your cares on Him for He cares for you!!!

Brenda
Unread 02-10-2008, 06:09 PM

hi Painful,
I had a LSH in April 07.. I was never informed about the "small risks" that comes from having this procedure... my bowels have not been the same since the surgery.... bouts of diareha lots of bowel noises and gas... sorry TMI I often wonder if this may have something to do with my surgery... I would love to hear what you are or had experienced....
Thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register