Hard to stand up straight after TAH & appendectomy question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hard to stand up straight after TAH & appendectomy question Hard to stand up straight after TAH & appendectomy question

Unread 02-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Hard to stand up straight after TAH & appendectomy question

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if it is normal to find it very difficult to stand up totally straight after a TAH?

When I stand up, I just feel like if I stand up completely straight that I'm goign to pull something loose inside. haha.

But, not only that, it just kind of hurts to stand up straight. Once I start walking, I get straighter the longer I'm up, but I still cannot stand up completely straight like I did before the surgery.

Is this normal, or I wonder if I'm just subconsciously being overly conservative and not allowing myself to stand up straight.

And, if this is normal (meaning, most women experience this), how long does this last? At what point in recovery do you find you are easily standing up completely straight?

Also, for those who have had their appendix removed along with the uterus, did you notice that your right side ached a lot more than the left side? My left side of my body actually feels fine. I am achy where my uterus used to be, and where the incision is. But, I also feel this really achy, pulling feeling in my right side that starts just above my right hip.

I am wondering if that is from where the appendix used to be, or if that is just everything radiating around my abdomen?

I wish I could just LOOK inside to see what is causing the ache.

I also think that the gas contributes to this. I still get gas pains, and I'll think it's achiness from the surgery. But, then I'll pass gas and then suddenly some of the pressure is gone.

I'm almost 6 days post op (6 days post-op starting tomorrow).

I'm wondering if what I'm describing is how everyone else who had a TAH felt the first week? I just want to make sure I'm healing right and nothing is wrong.

I don't feel like anything is wrong.... my bleeding has stopped, I'm having BM's now, I'm eating better, I'm sleeping better, and i can get up and down fairly well and walk around ok.... but I just am SO achy and hunched over when I walk !!!

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2008, 11:53 PM

Hi Loves to,
I absolutly felt the same way as you after my TAH. It was difficult to move around in a full standing position. I felt a kinda pulling feeling that stoped me from fully extending to an upright stand. I think what you are feeling is totally normal. I also had my Apendix removed, however mine was a seperate surgey, and there was a definate ach on the right side. Try not to over do it. your body may be telling you to take it easy...remember you are just 6 days out ...lay back, relax...and rember that your "pampered princess" crown will tarnish and you'll be back to your old routine before you know it. LOL..Plus if you have kids or a husband who are anything like mine if they see you are up and around they will assume you are well and can be back in buisness...LOL. I guess what I'm saying is don't push it milk it.LOL
Unread 02-10-2008, 01:06 AM

Loves to Run:
I also felt like I couldn't straighten up... and I had such a back ache from laying in bed all the time..My doctor said to walk as much as possible and then to lay down when you felt you were tired. I am 9 days out and still don't stand totally straight. It is getting better on a daily basis though. The aching sensation is from the internal healing going on and even if you just had a TAH and appendectomy there are many internal stitches that will occasionally give you small twinges. Did they give you a belly binder in the hosp. ? If not I would buy the swelly belly band or something similar. This gives you more support and you can stand straighter. Good luck
Pattie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2008, 06:06 PM
standing up

Mine was like that! It took about a week for that feeling of things falling forward in there to go away, but I did not have the big incision like you have. Hang in there! Sounds like you are doing pretty good! My friend had the TAH and it took her a few weeks I think for things to feel better and not pressured in there. Just try walking a little everyday, so your organs don't settle and get too stiff. That gas creeps back too! Laying on your side helps the gas escape if you can do that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register