Back in Hospital - So sick | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back in Hospital - So sick Back in Hospital - So sick

Unread 02-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Back in Hospital - So sick

To say things went from bad to worse is an understatement. I was being treated with the silver nitrate for bleeding. On Tuesday of last week I woke up with a pain in my side. By Wed a.m. I was back in the hospital. They told me I had an abdominal abcess that would require surgery. So much has happened and I'm so out of it with the Morphine. In any case when they got in there on Friday it turns out I have 2 absecces and both tubes, ovaries and appendix are all wrapped up in the mess. So they had to call in another surgeon who took my bowels and scraped all the yuck off. I lost all of the above parts and I had to have 2 blood transfusions during all of this.

I'm still in the hospital and I've been told I won't be going home anytime soon. I didn't have the abdominal incision last time but now I have a big one so I jumped on here today to see if I could get some quick suggestions with that.

Thanks ladies for any thoughts or ideas. Iam SO sick still.

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbgirl
I'm still in the hospital and I've been told I won't be going home anytime soon. I didn't have the abdominal incision last time but now I have a big one so I jumped on here today to see if I could get some quick suggestions with that.

Thanks ladies for any thoughts or ideas. Iam SO sick still.

Starbgirl
First, I am sorry to hear that you are going through all this, but it's better that you are being treated then for you to be at home and it get worse.

If I understand what you are looking for, it's how to deal with the "smiley face" cut. First - take it easy. Take it slow. When you are allowed to get up, do not rush and do not let anyone rush you. In time, you will get up without assistance and without pain.

Be conscious of your abs as you sit up in the bed etc. My had me use my arms - by putting them under my back, just above my behind and push myself up. It worked for me. When you start to get up, only stand up as straight as you are comfortable with. You'll eventually get to standing straight.

Keep it clean and dry. If the hospital staff come to assist woth showers or sponge baths, get an extra towel. Pat dry - don't rub. I take the extra towel and just lay it under the swelly belly (or big belly that I came into this with - not sure which it really is) on the incision. I leave it for several minutes to make sure that everything is dry.

That's about all I can think of right now. (I am 4 weeks post-op from a TAH and all these things worked for me).

Blessings on you....

GOD, please continue to look in on my hyster sister - starbgirl - and everyone associated with her care. Grant her the peace that she needs to begin a second healing process. I know that you are a healer and a deliverer. Please deliver her from the state that she is in right now. I know that doctors are saying that she won't go home anytime soon, but I also know that you are the ultimate authority on such matters. Heal her sooner than expected and fully that her life might be a witness for you. In the Matchless Name of JESUS, I pray. Amen. Amen. Amen
Unread 02-10-2008, 12:19 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your complications. I too had to go back into the hospital with two abcesses last Monday. I know the pain that you are feeling and the pain in the side, etc. I can't give you any suggestions on dealing with the incision but I do know that one of the best things you can do for yourself is to make sure that any nurse, aid or dr that comes into your room DOESN'T touch you without using hand sanitizer.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you, please visit the forum as often as the Morphin and pain allows in order to keep your spirits high.

We are all pulling for you!!! Just remember that you are strong and you will make it through this setback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2008, 12:42 PM

One thing I would add is to have a small pillow to hold in that area when you get up, cough, etc. Mine was a god send and I used/use it often. Do either of you know what caused the abcesses? I don't want to end up back in the castle... Wishing you both the best in your recoveries.
Unread 02-10-2008, 12:43 PM

Oh my goodness, Starbgirl! I'm SO sorry to hear this is happening to you. I will pray for you!

I had a TAH on Monday, and so I'm only 6 days post-op, but I agree with everthing that Renee said. I think the most important thing is to use your arms and legs to get yourself up.... don't use your abs. Every once in a while I'll get myself in a position that will make it so I have to use my abs for a second, and it HURTS when I do. This does not happen very much, and when it does happen, I don't do it on purpose....

Just lay around as much as you can and try not to do too much at all. Your body will let you know for sure when it's time to just lay and do nothing!

Oh my goodness, I'm just really sorry.

Does the doctor know how these abcesses got there? Had you ever felt completely healed from your hysterectmoy before this started to happen?

I will definitely be praying for you. Please keep us posted on your condition when you are able!

Take care!!!
Unread 02-10-2008, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the prayers and kind words everyone. I had a post op abdominal infection previously. It appeared though that it had resolved and even a recent white cell count (last week!) was normal. This Wednesday morning mine was 26,000. My Dr has a different theory as to why the whole thing happened. All I know is that I have been crazy sick. My BP is still really low and I am oxygen still. I got my catheter out today. I have not started to pass gass yet.

Starbgirl
Unread 02-10-2008, 01:18 PM

starbgirl-
Did your dr do CT's and Ultrasounds during the first infection and before he diagnosed that infection as clear? Just wondering since mine has said that I will have to continue to repeat both of these until he is sure my abcesses have resolved and he rules out surgery?

Hang in there!
Unread 02-10-2008, 01:23 PM

Offering up prayers for you as well. I pray the great physician minimizes your pain and diminishes the gas this go around so that you will not have to experience it again. Thank goodness you are on the road to recovery.
In the name of the Son. Amen
Unread 02-10-2008, 02:37 PM

blair -

I did have 2 ultasounds. One in Nov and the second on Dec 7th. It did apear via those that I was getting better. Plus no more fevers and I felt better. Apparently not.
Sigh - someday I will feel better.

Starbgirl
Unread 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM

Sending prayers your way. Keep us posted as to what happened. As stated, just take it easy with the Ab. cut. and you'll have no trouble with it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register