Energy level at 7 weeks post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Energy level at 7 weeks post-op? Energy level at 7 weeks post-op?

Unread 02-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Energy level at 7 weeks post-op?

Hi everyone,

I know this will be hard to really answer, but i am mostly just looking for your individual experiences.

But, one thing my husband, kids and I have been planning is to take a trip to California during our kid's spring break and go to Disneyland and Lego Land and be down there for a week. (I realize it'll be really crowded, but it's the best time for us to go).

Anyway, I haven't booked this trip yet. I want to wait to book it until I'm about 3 weeks post-op, just to get over this first hump to see how I feel at 3 weeks post-op.

If we do this trip, it'll be 7 weeks post-op, so I should be totally healed and should have the go-ahead from my doctor to resume all activities.

My one concern is spending a week between Disneyland and Lego Land can be very tiring because you're walking all day, and just around lots of people, and excitement, etc. etc. We always get a hotel close to the park, so we usually go back to the hotel room sometime in the middle of the day to rest and take a nap. So, we won't be at the parks for 10 hours straight.... but still, even if you take a break during the day, it's tiring.

So, the reason I have a concern is I'm wondering if at week 7 if your energy level is back to normal, or do you still get really exhausted easily and fast?

My husband and I are willing to post-pone the trip to later if I think I will be having loss of energy issues. That would be no fun for me!

But, if my energy level IS back to normal then, then I don't see why we couldn't do it.

The problem is that I will have to book this pretty soon because it involves airline tickets and hotel reservations. I know i can get trip insurance so I can cancel, but I really don't want to get my kid's all excited and hopes up and then have to cancel because I have discovered I am not up to something like this at 7 weeks post-op. My kids are only 5 & 7, so it'd be hard for them to understand why we had to cancel the trip.

So, i want to know your experiences.... did you feel you had your normal energy back by week 7 and you weren't getting the sudden exhaustion come on and loss of energy? At week 7 post-op, do you think you could have handled a week at Disneyland and Lego Land?? (I had a TAH, by the way, if that makes a difference).

Or, did you feel it took longer than 7 weeks for your energy to come back, and you feel there is no way you would have lasted a week or even a few days at Lego Land and Disneyland?

I am only 6 days post-op, and I can't even imagine walking around any park right now. haha. So, it's really hard for me to project out to 7 weeks post-op at this moment. But, everyone seems to be telling me i'm doing great for just 6 days post-op, so maybe I'll be fine at 7 weeks?? Friends of mine have told me because I'm so fit and healthy that I'll be feeling normal and have my energy back for sure by 6 weeks post-op. But, is that really true?? Hmmm.... It is so hard to say!!

I'd love your opinions. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2008, 04:48 PM

Hi- I am somewhat older than you, 55, but her was my experience:
I had TAH/BSO 7"vertical cut....I did go back to work after 7 weeks following my 7 week post op check up. All was healing well....I work 12 hour shifts as a psychiatric nurse and it does get hectic....I found that I could not do 2 in a row...I had to work one day then rest and recuperate the next. I still had some abdominal soreness then also. Was told that was normal, as long as no fever, no bleeding, all was ok. I walked every night about 30 min.
I am now 11 weeks post op and feeling pretty good....I walk every night with my son (even after a 12 hour shift) but still do not do 2 in a row.
Guess you really need to see how you are at your 7 week check-up and make sure Doc says is ok. The walking part will not hurt you, I don't think. But you will be tired at the end of the day....
Good Luck and I hope this helps.

ll/26/07 TAH/BSO
Unread 02-10-2008, 05:09 PM

That's a tough call. Everyone's experience is so individual and unique. I've got some years on you (I was 41 at time of my hyster), so that makes a difference. I also know from reading your posts that you're very fit and active, so that is going to help your recovery immensely.

I went back to work at six weeks and was fine, albeit a bit tired and sore those first couple of weeks. I don't know that I would have felt like doing Disneyland at that point, but I was also building up my strength after being anemic (had a transfusion post-op), and again, you're younger and more active than I was prior to surgery.

Good luck with your decision! I'm glad to hear your recovery is going smoothly! I'm sure your story has been/is very inspiring to others here!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2008, 05:34 PM

Hi there - I would think it depends on your surgery... did you keep your ovaries? I have found that adjusting to my hormone replacement therapy has had some surprising side affects for me, such as fatigue and insomnia. How you're sleeping may be a big deciding factor, and you won't really be able to predict that one.

I had TAH/BSO 9 1/2 weeks ago... while I am very impressed with how quickly my body has healed for the most part, I am stunned at how tired I still am... I get really fatigued each and every day (physically and mentally). Also, my doctor thinks that my thyroid levels may have been affected by the hormone changes and trauma from having surgery. (I'll be having that tested tomorrow.)

So really, I think there are really just so many factors that you can't predict this early in the game. I don't think that I would have been able to enjoy a week of walking two weeks ago (are you planning to do rides, too?). I hope that if you decide to go, you feel great and have a good time! And if not, I hope that you are able to rest and recover! Good luck!
Unread 02-10-2008, 06:57 PM

I am only three weeks post op tomorrow so I can't answer your question about 7 weeks but I do have some advice about the trip insurance. I am a travel agent and you need to make sure that if you book the trip and buy travel insurance that it covers pre-existing conditons. If it doesn't the insurance company will most likely deny the claim if you do end up needing to make a cancellation due to the TAH.

I am 35 and as I said 3 weeks ago had TVH. At this point I can't see myself at a theme park in 4 weeks. Good luck in whatever you decide...I'm sure you will make the right decision.
Unread 02-10-2008, 08:58 PM

Quite honestly, and this is just my experience. There is no way I could have done that trip at 7 weeks post op. I was still exhausted at 6 months post op. I know everyone is different, and I was 44 at the time. I had everything out but my cervix. Drs. couldn't take it out safely. It wasn't until almost 8 months post op that I even had any energy. I was on iron pills forever. I still don't have much strength back and it's almost my 1 year anniversary. I don't want to discourage you. I'm just telling you the truth. I was never able to go on HRT. Too many risks. Even after 4 months I remember sleeping half the day away. I had the abdominal surgery. They cut me from one side to the other. At one point I never thought I'd make it to where I am today. I use a vaginal estrogen cream, but as for myself, I could never make that trip. It doesn't mean you can't. But I know I couldn't have. I wish you luck in what you decide.
Unread 02-10-2008, 10:20 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. It sounds like just from the few of you that none of you were just ready to go on a trip to a theme park at week 7 post-op. haha. Though, it sounds like maybe some of you could have possible tolerated it, you all say in one form or another it would have taken a lot of your energy.

I know there is no way of me knowing UNTIL I'm 7 weeks post-op. This is why this is so hard, and a bit risky, I think.

Oh, and I did keep my ovaries, so I'm not having to deal with HRT and menapause issues. Maybe that'll make a difference in my energy level??

My gut feeling is that we'll post-pone the trip. It'll have to be late summer then, because my husband is traveling in mid-April, and we have a crazy month in May and June. So, it'll have to be July or August, which is fine. I should be really good by then! (I better, at least!!).

And, Blair72, that is a really good point about the pre-existing condition and trip insurance. GOOD point!

Well, we haven't told our kids yet that we are thinking about this at spring break, so that is good.

I think I'll just wait to see how I am at week 3 post-op. That is my deadline in deciding what to do. If by week 3, I still can't even imagine walking around a theme park by week 7, then we won't go.

Oh, as for the rides, I am a scary-cat when it comes to the fast rides. I won't do them. haha. I reallly like the kiddie rides.... HAHA..... that is about my level! So, I would not worry about missing out on the fast and scary rides if I felt those kinds of rides were not good for internal healing.

Thanks so much.... you all helped me put things into perspective.

Take care.
Unread 02-10-2008, 11:06 PM

I'm 7weeks post op now and think it would be a tough call on doing a week vacation at Disneyland with kids your age. While I'm 44, so older than you, I was told pre-op that I should just sail thru because I was in such good shape. Now at 7 weeks I'm totally frustrated by how slow this recovery process has been. I'm still not back to work because both of my jobs are very physically demanding. I'm doing most of the stuff related to keeping up with 4 teenagers and their schedules, along with housework, but still get very tired and my incision area and swelly belly still ache when I'm up for a long time. I still like being able to lie down with an ice pack on my belly whenever I need to. Standing bothers me more than walking and having been at Disneyland during spring break in the past....you'll be standing in lines A LOT!! While you might be able to push yourself at 7 weeks and make it happen, I'm not sure that you'll have a very good time if you're feeling tired and sore. Seems like such a fun trip that you might want to wait and do it when you can really enjoy yourself. Good luck making a decision. Hope you have a really great time when you do go!!

SAH/LSO

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register