Still can not sleep - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still can not sleep Still can not sleep

Unread 02-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Still can not sleep

Tduke,

This is so weird. I too, suffered from Restless Leg Syndrome. Before my TVH I exercised 5 days a week. I cardio walked 5 days a week. 3.5 miles. I noticed two things, when I did not walk and stretched my legs, my legs felt restless at bedtime. So try to walk every day and secondly, have your spouse take your leg, straight in the air, bend your foot (toes) towards your shin bone, so that your quad and hamstring are fully and comfortably stretched. It greatly reduces the restlessness. Hope this helps you, as much as it did me. Also try the amino acid Theanine. It helped me as well. Best wishes to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Still can not sleep

Yeah, had a couple of glasses of red wine, and then went to by best friends and/work out buddy's house for some champagne and great female conversation. Living with a husband and three male children, it is nice to be around women! I took my estrogen pill today and just took the progesterone cream an hour ago, this cream the pharmacist said would make me drowsy. We shall see. I usually need a double dose to knock me out, when it comes to meds. I'm never a light weight when it comes to any medication. Anyhow, it's nice to talk to other women. I need the sisterhood!
Unread 02-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Still can not sleep

I didn't sleep worth a darn last night. This is SOOO aggravating!! I wake up at about 1 or 2 am and my entire body aches like I haven't slept in a month. I've been like this before so I know the problem is that I'm not getting deep REM sleep when the body releases human growth hormone that promotes healing. Problem is, I don't know how to fix it. Normally I would go for a long run, but that obviously isn't an option right now. Walking isn't cutting it, but I'm going to try to double it today and do two walks.

Dschuman,
Thanks for the ideas, I'll stretch better before bed tonight and stop at the health food store to see if they have Theanine, I've never heard of that before so I'll give it a whirl. I'm desperate at this point!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Still can not sleep

Snowy Owl,
I slept until 3 am. Got up and took a Benadryl, that always does the trick. Except I always wake up like feeling like I've been hit by a truck.
I, too, had this problem before my hysterectomy. I think it's menopause. I have quite a few natural prescription/healing books and here's some ideas for insomnia according to my book. Calcium 1500mg-2000mg daily in divided does, after meals and at bedtime. Magnesium 1000mg daily. A lack of cal and mag can cause you to wake up in a few hours and not be able to return to sleep (I can so relate to that.) Melatonin (a hormone your body produces, that decreases with age). I use 5mg. It does work. But it shouldn't be taken on a everyday basis because your body can stop making it. Taking a vitamin B complex enhances REM sleep. Zinc 15mg daily aides in the recovery of body tissues while sleeping.
I am embarrassed to say I haven't been taking my calcium and magnesium. Because it also aides in weight loss according to Dr. Oz (on Oprah). I can use some of that. Here's wishing to all of us, that we get some much needed good deep sleep!
Unread 02-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Still can not sleep

And here I am, almost 9:30, an hour and a half ago I took two benadryl, an Ultram ER 100, and a Vicodin 5.0 and I'm still wide awake. That should have been enough to knock out a horse!!! :burning: I even walked for 30 minutes, did the stationary bike for 15 minutes twice, AND haven't taken a nap today!! I'm going to shut the computer down now and attempt to sleep since I have to get up at 6:30 tomorrow. I hate insomnia......................................
Unread 02-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Still can not sleep

I hear ya sister. we are getting ready to leave for the drive in tonight (pacific time here.) I've already had one bottle of red wine... We shall see with the second one at the movies ( I'm not driving ).... Here's to us getting some sleep!
Unread 02-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Still can not sleep

It seems like it's one extreme or the other. Before my surgery I averaged about 6 hours a night. Since having surgery I can go to bed at 9 and sleep til the alarm goes off at 6:30 to get the kids out the door...then I can go back to bed by 11a.m. and sleep 3-4 hours. And then I can barely last til 9 at night. I seriously think sleeping too much is as bad as not being able to sleep...just sort of differently..lol I don't know..ALL sleep issues stink!! Hope we all work through them quickly whatever they may be.
Unread 02-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Still can not sleep

I can relate to all of you. Anyone ever try a small electric heating pad? I rest it on my feet. It helps me relax....till a hot flash arrives. Then out of the bed it goes!
I've only tried OTC sleep aids which did nothing. 5 HTP added to the nausea so I stopped that. Other supplements gave me to much energy which in turn keep my mind to alert for sleep. Sleep is a huge issue if you ask me. How are we ever suppose to get better if we can't rest?

My 6 week check-up this week I hope to increase my V-Dot. I promise- I'll be nice to everyone if I could just sleep like I used to before the surgery.

hugzzzzzzzzz
Unread 02-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Still can not sleep

Okay, so last night I slept half the night! Maybe we are on to something! Maybe after a couple of weeks I can actually sleep the whole night through. I know I sleep a heck of a lot better when my other half isn't snoring next to me. I should encourage him to get a job that requires a lot of traveling!!!!
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Still can not sleep

One night I'll sleep like a baby and think, "hurray, back to normal", and then the next 3 nights I'm back to being wide awake at 2 am. It has not been consistant with me. However, I have hope. When my hormones get regulated, and a good sleeping pattern becomes consistant, that's when I know for sure I have my body in ballance. Getting there is difficult and taking to long to establish.

Happy for small improvments-
having the strength to - shave my legs, take a shower, hug the dog, get the mail.

Thankful for small favors-
my dog is with me at 2 am.

Any other magic wands out there?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register