Hysterectomy dates Feb 11-Feb 18,2008 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 11-Feb 18,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 11-Feb 18,2008

Unread 02-18-2008, 10:53 PM
First Post-Op Update

I had my surgery 2/12/08 and I am doing great. I went into the OR about 4 in the afternoon and was in my room about 8 that evening.

Was scheduled for a LSH but when the surgeon got the camera inside, he realized the placement of the fibroid was not going to allow him to complete the surgery laparoscopically so he made an abdominal incision.

The fibroid was sitting down in my pelvis and right on top of the cervix so he could not see the cervix and would have been working blind. In order to save my cervix he performed an abdominal incision, had to excise the actual fibroid before he could remove the uterus above the cervix.

I woke up as they were taking me to my room where they hooked up a morphine pump. I was not in too much pain, just INCREDIBLY thirsty . I asked for water and crackers since I had nothing to eat in about 21 hours.

The pain pump allowed me to sleep, the catheter allowed me to drink all I wanted (about 10-12 cups of ice water that first night) and I was great by 6:00 AM the next morning.

They brought me clear liquid breakfast which I had just finished when my surgeon came in to see me about 8 AM. He told me what happened in surgery, asked me if I wanted to go home that day because there was nothing that could be done in the hospital that I could not do at home. His opinion is that people heal better at home. He ordered the pump disconnected, the Foley removed and told me I could have solid foods.

He stopped by again around 3 PM asked how I was doing and said I could go home. He said other than no driving, no lifting more than a gallon of milk I could do anything I felt like doing! I was so surprised that I asked if I had heard him correctly. I had.

Since my DH had come down with the stomach virus after leaving me the night before, my DD came to pick me up and took me to her home to recuperate. That is the reason my message is so late. Was without access to my computer for a few days.

Resting, drinking, Miralax, bran muffins all helped to assure the smooth passage of my first BM. Non-event. I have had minimal pain, controlled by meds, little gas and feel GREAT!

Now, a week out, I am having some pain in my swelly belly around my incision, nut I think it is simply the increase in activity. Not that I am overdoing, but when I am on my feet a lot, belly swelling seems worse at night.

Another issue is the fact that I am not sleeping the last two nights. Don't know if it is rebound from the pain meds (Vicodin) or lack of activity to make me sleepy. I get tired, but not sleepy.

And the annoying little belly button incision itch. I am having some drainage which pools in the belly button, crusts up and itches like all get out! This was something I did not see in all my reading on the site! I keep cleaning it out when bathing and with peroxide but did not want to put any kind of salve or cream in there until the drainage stops. So I itch. Oh well, if that is the worst thing to annoy me, I will take it.

To all Sisters - waiting, prepping, consoling, holding our hands, dispensing advice and hugs - Blessings to each and every one of you now and always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Yay!!!

Dear Sisters,
There IS a light at the end of this tunnel. I am very lucky that I can see it shining brightly. For those who can only see a dim, soft glow--hang in there, my prayers are with you.
I had my TVH on 2/12. Scheduled for 9 am, didn't get in until 9:45 due to waiting on test results. My Dr. was incredible and she told me she had the "dream team" in the OR with her. Surgery ended up taking 4 hrs. as the fibroid was bigger than previous tests had indicated. I have had seveeral abdominal surgeries and also have mesh in my belly from a hernia repair in '06; so my doc was unable to do anyhting laproscopically and was determined not to convert to a TAH if at all possible. With the help of everyone in the OR, even the scrub nurse pulled up a stool to help (I don't want to picture this!!), she was successful and I feel so much better! She had to chop everything up to get it out, so I'll find out the weight of everything next week at my post-op appt. I was also very nauseous in recovery. Zofran is what finally worked. The next am, one of the nurses gave me 2 Pecocet and 2 Naprosyn on an empty stomach. Zofran to the rescue again!! They also gave me an IV antibiotic that day as my temp went up a bit. The vampires from phlebotomy did their best. I lost quite a bit of blood so they needed to keep checking my hemoglobin and hematocrit. I have the type of veins that like to roll--ugh! Anyway, I left the castle Thurs. afternoon and, other than feeling quite exhausted, would consider myself quite the happy camper!!
Much thanks and love to all who post and read here. Be well and take good care!
Chris
Unread 02-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 11-Feb 18,2008

It was such a help to come here today and hear from all of you! I had a TVH with repairs for cystocele on 2/13. I'm feeling strong, almost no pain. I haven't had any pain medication for several days and only one at night on Friday and Saturday night. But yesterday and today I feel so SPACY. I feel like I can't concentrate on anything and just want to lie down, but then I'm restless because I'm not tired and can't sleep. So I go back to chair and wandering around. I was really frustrated, but reading here made me feel so much more patient. I WILL feel better, probably soon, and what I'm feeling sounds within the normal range! Thank you all and my very best healing wishes to you all. Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2008, 08:05 AM

First, let me say that I am SOO grateful that I googled and found this site. I felt pretty confident that I was prepared for the op and post-op parts. I fixed up the guest bedroom so that I could reach books, water, paper and odds and ends to work on for a Gala I'm helping organize at my kids' school. I bought my Gas-x and the fabulous Swelly Belly!I had dinners set up for a few days and clothes washed, etc. Recovery time seemed to vary so much in those of us who got to have an LSH that I wasn't sure what to expect on that front.

I went in at 11:30 for my 1:30 surgery on 2/12. They were playing musical operating rooms, and I had to "wait in line." At 2:00 they wheeled me in; at 4:30 I was wheeled into my room from recovery. Of all the criteria to leave (walking, pain at a 4 or lower (of 10) with pain meds, vitals fine, not throwing up.....I couldn't pee, though, until 11:30 PM, so I decided at that point to spend the night. I am so glad I did! Those beds that move up and down are the best! I kept waiting for bad pain to come, but it never did. I decided around 11:00 PM to take some percocet anyway so the pain wouldn't hit me so hard.

The car ride home was OK, but the bumps in the road nearly killed me. I had to sit in the car for 20 minutes while my DH got my percocet prescription filled. My DH was really sick the entire time I was recovering. When he and my 14 year-old came to my room (after recovery), he started feeling really sick (that horrid flu thing that everyone seems to be getting). I'm not sure who was more disabled. I ended up doing things before I probably should have because he was in bed a lot, and I got tired of begging my teenagers to do it. I did go stir crazy laying around in bed so I wandered around the house a lot trying to find things to do that didn't involve bending over. I still had pretty bad gas even with the Gas-X.

I was on pain meds for 5 days - half of the prescribed dosage. I went shopping on Day 4 since no one else could and we needed some vital things. The walking was slow and pushing the basket really hurt. I almost quit halfway through, but I made it and didn't feel any worse afterwards. I had the nice man push my cart to my car and put the groceries in for me. I am debating when to go back to work. I am a substitute teacher so I don't usually know what I will be asked to do until that day. I don't want to injure my insides or have someone accidentally bump my stomach. I didn't go to my Irish Dance Class last night as I couldn't move fast or jump very much. I'd say I'm about 75% of my normal state.

My period would normally begin on Thursday. I can't wait until it doesn't!
Tampon burning party at my place!
Unread 02-19-2008, 10:51 AM

Day 7 and feeling pretty good. I am going to drive to pick my daughter up from school then run a few errands. No pain just some soreness today.
Unread 02-19-2008, 12:45 PM
My story adb hyst on thursday

Hi
i just had total abd hysterectomy with both ovary's removal on feb 14th. i had great hospital stay they were very nice to me.
The hospital even put me in the a hotel the night before for pre op testing and for drinking magnesium citrate for clean out.. They also put me in private room with temperpedic beds
In pre op the anestologist put a little patch behind my ear for nausea and it stayed on for 24hrs (worked great)
i came out of recovery still asleep.. Slept for several more hours.. Woke up with dilaudid pca i believe..
had incision across the bottom of my stomach (they glued it together.. Never heard of that before).. And had Foley catheter in.. i peed great..

The next morning they took out the pca and iv fluids and took catheter out and started giving me 2 percocets at a time for pain.. i walked in the hallway hoping to pass gas ..walked faithfully. i had surgery on Thursday on Saturday i still hadn't passed gas so they gave me a suppository.. i got up to walk that morning and got light headed so i went back to bed..
Eventually i passed gas after 2 suppository's and had small bm (i think it was the left over from the clean out)
On the way to the car a young boy put me in a wheelchair and drove it way to fast..
We had 2 hr drive home.. Before we got out of town i got sick and couldn't hold my head up.. Freezing and burning up..when i finally got home i found out i was running a fever..
From Saturday to monday morning i ran fever off and on was was dizzy and night headed and nauseated.. And couldn't sleep.. Then started coughing.. So when i woke up monday morning i decided it was the pain pills( percocet)..so i quit taking them.. And changed to motrin.. My head is more clear, not lightheaded.. (i think it was the pain pills)

Sorry this is so long.. Wanted everyone to know what to expect for bad and good things.. My first bm was yesterday.. It was bad i was in a lot of pain ..had quit the pain pills and got real hot and started hyperventilating and almost passed out in the bathroom.. hollered for my mom and she came and calmed me down and fanned me with some papers (thank goodness she was here to help me) i went to ER when my husband came home from work last night.. i have been coughing and running a fever.. They are treating me for pneumonia.. Got steroid and antibiotic shot.. im feeling better today except the coughing.. i also have the diarrhea since last night..
i go back to my surgeon on monday.. They wanted to come yesterday but i told them i couldn't ride 2 hrs in a car.. i was just too sick..

Few Questions the Dr put me on Prempro but the insert says not to take if you have a hysterectomy?
Also cant sleep.. Cant take any naps.. At night after fighting for hours i might sleep2-3 hrs total? Any suggestions is this normal
Also has anyone had their incision glued together like me?
im going back to Dr on monday what can expect at this checkup? Its only like 1 1/2 weeks checkup
ive been walking around the house and laying the bed some.. Today is the first day i got on the computer..

Also what is everyone eating>?
My Dr said low fat soft... im afraid to eat much.. so i really haven't been.. Anything good to eat any easy recipes
Ruby
i think the Dr said the worst endometriosis he had ever seen had to cut it in several pieces to get it out and uterus was attached to bowel etc.. Had elevated ca125s and pain.. Will find out all the details on monday
Unread 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM

try mineral oil for constipation, works wonders and is not painful, takes about 6 hours for it to work. eat lots of fiber, fruit and veggies....and drink lots of fluid....hope you will feel better soon. why don't you ask your dr. for an ambien to help you sleep?
Unread 02-19-2008, 04:33 PM
First outing today!

DH took me to Borders (bookstore) and I walked all over...felt great. Then sat in the cafe with some magazines. After that, went out to lunch at Panera. We needed some groceries, but I chose to wait in the car. I didn't feel like walking all over one of those megastores just yet! Came home and rested in bed with some magazines, but didn't take a nap. First day without one!

Feeling great...
Mimi
Unread 02-19-2008, 06:21 PM

well, as i said before i didn't have a lot of pain or anything right after surgery last week. well, friday i woke up with the stomach virus from hell and had to go into the er to be put on fluids ( 2 bags) and given two shots of delota. needless to say not only was i puking but i have had diarrhea ever since. i was also throwing up so much that the blood vessels in my eyes burst. they just look like pools of blood now and kinda creepy to look at. i can't sleep for more than an hour or two at a time either and the hot flashes never seem to stop. it can be 30 degrees outside and i have the air on, the heat off and be in shorts and a t shirt still hot. i seem to be able to get along ok just tire fairly quickly. i just wish that i could keep some food down. hopefully all of this passes soon. other than that i feel so much better now than i did before the surgery. i'm so happy to be able to go in a store and not have to buy tampons before anything else. hope that everyone else is feeling better.
Unread 02-20-2008, 10:12 AM

I went out on Monday with my husband to lunch, best buy, and then hit the grocery store on the way home. When we got home, I kind of vegged out on the couch! I think that helped me sleep through the night...lol

Yesterday, my girls and I had dentist appts (it's so much easier to all go at once!) and then my husband drove us over to my brothers....then it was late enough we had dinner and then stopped off at Sam's Club for a few items. I was tired when we got home....but managed to cuddle with my husband on the couch and watch some tv. I was able to sleep on my tummy last night!

BM have gotten much easier...I have been taking stool softeners and that is making all the difference!! I have been taking Motrin off and on when I get a little achy but haven't needed it too much.

Question: My dr said no exercise for 6 weeks....but he said to walk. Does walking on the treadmill count as exercising or walking? I walked .25 miles yesterday ~ but did it slowly (took about 10 minutes).

I go back to see him tomorrow to get my staples out ~ do you think he would do an internal exam to check those sutures too??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register