Hysterectomy dates Feb 11-Feb 18,2008 - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 11-Feb 18,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 11-Feb 18,2008

Unread 02-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Feeling great!

I had my PVH on Feb 11th 08 and was quite surprised that it wasnt as much pain as I had thought it would be. I have quite a low pain tolerance and I coped with it very well. The needles and blood tests hurt more!. Im now in my second week of recovery and I feel great, still tired and just a little bit sore, but only when I need to open my bowels or I have done far too much.
Good luck to anyone who has surgery coming up, and to all those who are in recovery, all the best!
Talk soon, Leisel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Feb 15th - TAH w/ BSO (Adv. Stage IV Endo w/Adhesions)

Hi all!

I had my total abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral salpingoophorectomy (sp?) (TAH w/ BSO) on the 15th. My incision is quite long since it is the third entry through that location (1st c-section, 2nd a laparotomy to treat endo and adhesions) and my c-section doc wasn't the best-skilled surgeon to start the incision off with in the first place 14.5 years ago.

I am doing well I think. I wish the occasional gas pains would let up - they are so sharp in intensity but are becoming less frequent. I am taking Gas-X (although the Dr.'s nurse said not to - but the dr. said I could after I passed gas the first time, so I am).

My history? I have Advanced Stage IV Endometriosis (diagnosed years ago) and again they found pockets of endo and filmy adhesions. They treated all but the 'northern-most' territory. Doc is certain the low dose of hormones will starve the remaining lesions. He was the dr. who did my laparotomy 8.5 years ago and has been the best dr. of all in my endo journey.

What led to this surgery was a return down the road that led to my 1999 surgery (and the fortunate discovery of this dr.) where they found not only Adv. Stage IV endo and adhsions but a huge adhesion tying bowel and bladder together - looping over my bicornuate uterus. Local docs said the pain was 'in my head'. Yeah, sure. The LUNA they had planned to do then didn't take because the uterosacral nerve bundle was already obliterated.

Anyway, still taking pain meds but only 1 not 2 tablets about every 6 hours. Walking does help with gas pains and such. Rest does, too!

I haven't had time to read everyone's story but will do so this weekend as internet time has been limited. I pray everyone is doing well.

Thank you so much for this site, ladies. It has given me much information and insight into the process - and it is a process - a passage we are all navigating together.

God bless you all!

VidFit4Life
Unread 02-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 11-Feb 18,2008

10 days post op and feeling pretty good. Over did stuff yesterday and had to take a pain pill but other than that just 800mg Motrin. I can already tell that the symptoms that lead me to this surgery are gone. I have twinges but nothing that can be classified as pain. My mood has improved greatly I feel more like my old self every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi1962
I was wondering about the treadmill thing too. Let me know what your dr. says.

Thanks,
Mimi
I asked my MD about that and she told me it was fine at low speed and absolutely NO INCLINE. I had abdominal TAH and BSO.
Unread 02-22-2008, 02:46 PM
My progress and gadgets that help.

I had the abdominaly hyster with removal of ovararies and cervix for cancer and umbilical hernia repair 1 week ago. I also have asthma and am on insulin for diabetes. I am very aware I am at high risk for wound infection and separation. My incision is about 8 inches long above my navel. I am a large lady age 54 and a RN. Preop I knew It would be difficult to get up so I bought an electric lift recliner chair. It fully reclines so I have been sleeping in it and at the touch of a button gently raises me to nearly a standing position. I also got a 12 inclh toilet riser that inserts into the top of the toilet and is easily removed. I helps so much to be able to get up and down off the toilet easily. Of course I have a reacher also. My other gadget that helps me alot is a
easy wipe toilet tissue wiper on a 15 inch wand. It hold the TP or wet wipes and enables me to keep clean without bendinhg over the incision. For any of you large ladies facing abdominal hysters this stuff will help you imensly. I also had the BM issue despite taking stool softener and MOM in the hospital.
The first night home at 1 AM my DH was at the grocery store geting me an enema. It didn't help as all they had were saline enemas and I needed a Fleets phosphate or mineral oil. Anyway after 12 hours of worshiping on the porcelin god I had a BM 3 days post op. My friend, a hospice nurse. says to take the stool softener daily while on narcotics like percocet. I also eat a bowl of bran cereal with raisins daily. Hope this info helps someone. I am 7 days post op and still live only upstairs with my recliner, TV, Bathroom and well stocked mini frig. I have a lot of room to pace and do some leg exercises. My DH has stayed home with me this week as my blood sugar has been too unstable to leave me alone. This weekend I shall venture downstairs as I am doing better daily. Bless you all!
Unread 02-22-2008, 03:37 PM

Wow it sounds like everyone is doing good. I'm glad to hear that. My TAH was 2-11 just getting around to the pc. I had a spinal block done before surgery and it was suppose to help the pain, but when I came to I was in severe pain, 5 morphine shots and 1 toredal later I had relief. I had Drs and nurses all around me asking if I could move my legs, feel this, feel that, move my toes and the answer was yes to all!!! That was a little creepy. Than they put me on a morphene pump, next day my blood level had dropped , they feared internal bleeding and they would have to open me back up., that was really creepy!!! They gave me a pint of blood and waited. Dr said that it could be from the removal of all the lesions, fibroids, endometreosis stage IV, and seperating all of my parts that were gunked together. Thank goodness the Dr was right no more surgery needed.
I am home now and feeling much better, still tough getting in and out of bed. I don't know if my recovery has taken longer because I've never had children or just the evasiveness of the surgery. As for BM's I've done the stool softners religously and I've also taken Milk of Magnesia that helped alot. I'm also glad the appetite has finely returned. I no longer have that metal taste in my mouth.
thank you for the get well message that was very sweet. Good Luck everyone and God Speed!!!
Unread 02-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Get well

Glad to hear that everything is going well. I am starting to feel like I am on top of the situation now but hubby finding it frustrating that I can't do much (poor guy!!!) My swollen tummy is causing me concern as if I stand up for too long my tummy starts to feel really uncomfortable and I have to hold onto it to give it support. I am not fat so find it all very annoying and rather scary as I wish it would go down. Have to go to ED on Monday and get the knot cut off my stitches as it hasn't fallen off yet, doctor told me this may happen.
Glad that I am able to sleep on my side now but still wait up comfortable during the night.
All the best
Razza
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:13 AM

Well, it's 11 days post-op for LSH and I'm doing well. I just started a load of laundry and I feel like I have finally contributed to the household. I have been doing (most) every thing that the DR told me to do and my 2 week post-op appt. is on Monday. Can't wait to see when I can drive again. I live out in the woods and I'm getting a little case of cabin fever.

BM's are regular but loose. I haven't felt like eating normally. Rich foods turn me off and my appetite is a bit off as well. Not sure if that was the pain meds, the stool softeners or the fact that my abdomen has been rifled through like a purse, but my digestion is still not normal. I can't lie on my side to sleep yet, but I think that's close. Otherwise, I'm feeling great. I feel much better than I expected to at this point.

glad to be on the other side.
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:32 AM

I wish for a softer, easier stool! I gave 'birth' last night - laxative and suppository didn't help. This happened 8.5 years ago after my laparotomy, too. I took myself off of percocet - its side effect is horrible constipation. I'm hoping not to have any more of those episodes. I thought for sure I'd blow out my incision since it's only 1 week old.

Eating as lightly possible - maybe 3 oz. of lean meat was too much yesterday. I don't know. Took stool softener yesterday and again today - probably will set myself up for the opposite effect if I'm not careful!

Glad to hear most are doing well. I feel well enough to do some things but do limit myself. you only get one time to heal well from this and I've already probably set myself back w/ the constipation experience last night.

I have, however, walked on the treadmill at 0 incline, speed 1 (1 mile per hour) for 15 minute intervals. It feels o.k. and seems to help get things moving.
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:46 AM

My surgery ( total hyst) was on the 18th and it went very well, though ended up being both laparascopic and vaginal. By 8 pm that night, they had me sitting on the edge of the bed, then 2 hours later, I walked a short distance. I felt nauseated, though, but didn't actually barf till I was getting back into bed. After that, I was fine. I was really glad I brought my own pillow. But about the gas pains--I knew from this forum that they could be excruciating, but until I experienced them, I had no idea how bad the pain was. Even though I tried to walk them off, they took their own sweet time about going away. One good thing--they sure took my mind off my incisions! I went home the next day. In the last few days, however, I have felt very "beige"--by that I mean I am not feeling any emotions, sad or happy or anything. Don't know if that is due to ovaries suddenly being removed, being put on a new HRT, or what. It may just be my body's way of healing itself. I'm just so grateful that I had the surgery, and that it's over with. Best decision I could have made. My thanks to everyone on this website for helping me make it through. PS--a piece of advice--if a friend offers to help you, let them!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register