Post-op pain and breathing issues questions (update) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-op pain and breathing issues questions (update) Post-op pain and breathing issues questions (update)

Unread 02-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Post-op pain and breathing issues questions (update)

Thank you everyone! I appreciate your good thoughts and well wishes!

I'm just so happy and thankful that everthing is OK with me! My doctor really thinks by this weekend, I should be feeling a LOT better in terms of pain. He said if I'm not, then to come back in. But, this morning when i woke up, I do feel a little better... still have pain, but I can tell that each day I do feel a little better. So, all is good!!!

You guys are all so awesome. I would encourage all of you to just post any questions, concern, thought you have regarding your recovery, even if you think it's silly or embarrassing. You just never know and I figure with all of the women here on this board with all their different experiences, you can get a pretty good spectum of answers to help you figure out if what you're experiencing is worth calling the doctor or not.

Anyway.... thanks again for all the well wishes, prayers and thoughts! :-)

You guys are all awesome!

Take care!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2008, 05:44 PM

Thank you, Loves to Run, I learned plenty from your posts. I appreciate you, the other sisters and this website, tremendously!!
Unread 02-21-2008, 06:01 PM

Thank you! You are so sweet. Well, I'm just giving back! I joined this forum in December 2007, I think, and it was at that time that I was still trying to decide if I should go through with the surgery.

Through this site, I was able to confidently make my decision to have this surgery, and it was through this site that I got SO much comfort and support from women further along than me, and I was able to get so many questions answered.

So, I knew once I had my surgery, that I would help as many people as I could based off of my own experience and knoweldge.

I love to help people, and without this site, I doubt I'd be doing as well (mentally) as I am about my surgery!

I agree with you about appreciating the other sisters and this website tremendously. I feel like I'm not going through this alone, even though here where I live, I have no friends who have been through this, so in some ways, where I live, I feel like I'm going through this alone.... that is why I'm SOOOO thankful for this site!

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2008, 07:00 PM

Hello loves to run
2 wks ago I experienced the same thing. I to went to the hospital because I have had blood clots in my lungs a few years ago. They did all the test and it came back normal but I did have low pottasium. They gave me 2 puffers. They think that the tube in my throat stirred up asthma that is there when I'm active, just made it worse. Going to dr tomarrow for it. I'm 23 days post op. I to had it worse when I started to walk around but it was slightly there lying down along with feeling like my heart was coming out of my chest. I hope you feel better soon. It's really scary when you can't breathe.
Lorraine
Unread 02-21-2008, 07:12 PM

It is pretty much gone now for me.... only once in a while when I'm up and walking around will I start to feel shortness of breath again, but it hardly happens now, and when it does happen, it definitely is when I'm experiencing more pain at the moment.

So, I'm glad the worst of that experience was over... it was pretty scary to feel like I could never catch my breath when I was standing or walking for the first 10 days post-op.

I have been so amazed to see how my body has reacted during this recovery... it has reacted in ways I never imagined would happen!

I'm glad nothing serious was going on with you, too, Lorraine.
Unread 02-21-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves to Run
Hi everyone,

I have a three questions regarding post-op pain and breathing issues.

I am now 1 week post-op. I had a TAH, kept ovaries, took out cervix, and removed my appendix. I'm still on pain meds (percocit and ibuprofin). So, I'm able to manage my pain fine right now.

But, I have questions about the type of pain as well as breathing issues.

1) how do you know the difference between gas/bowel pain vs. surgery pain/pain caused by internal incisions/stitches, etc. I just get this pain all throughout my abdomen and sometimes it's much worse than other times. If I knew it was just gas pain, I would not worry. But, I get worried when I think this might be internal incision/stitches pain because I start to imagine that I've done something to pull something loose inside.

I'm following doctor's orders perfectly.... resting and laying down and getting up to walk several times a day, but this is just walking around my house. I haven't even ventured outside yet. I'm not over-doing it. I listen to my body, and when I'm up, the second I start to feel pain come on, or my body just gets really tired, then I go back to lay down.

But, sometimes I wonder if I'm worrying this pain I'm feeling is something going wrong with the internal healing when it really might just be gas pain, and I'm worrying for nothing. I've never had to deal with gas pain issues in my life. I've been lucky in that area, so this whole gas pain thing is new to me.

I'm definitely passing gas, and I starting having a BM on day 3 post-op. I AM trying to eat as much fiber as I can, and I'm taking stool softeners, drinking lots of water, and I just started drinking pear juice today to help things move even better. I have not had any problems having a BM, so I don't think I'm constipated, although I will say when I am trying to "go", I don't push, but it does hurt pretty bad as it goes through the lower intestinal track. I have to do some deep breathing sometimes when I'm trying to go because it hurts. haha!! (I know.... TMI... but I think on this site, it's OK to talk about BM....haha).

So, that is my first question, and some info to go along with the first question.

2) for those of you who had an appendectomy along with a hysterectomy, did you find you had much more sharp pain where the appendix was removed vs. the pain you felt or feel where your uterus used to be? Sometimes I think the appendectomy hurts worse than the hysterectomy. I just get these sharp pains on my right side, but only when I stand up to walk. I do get a radiating pain on my right side when I lay down, and it's a different pain than the lower abdomen area. But, when I stand up, sometimes it's so bad that I can't straighten out my right leg right away when I get up... it's just this sharp knife pain. I feel like if I straighten my right leg, I'm just going to pull something completely loose. But, after I've been standing for a bit, I can finally straighten my right leg.... but it just takes time. And, also my right hip bone hurts.... not sure it's the actual bone that hurts, but it's RIGHT where my hip bone is that hurts.... it just aches. I'm assuming all this pain on my right side is related to the appendectomy.

But, in my abdomen, it's just a dull ache and also a burning feeling sometimes. But no shooting knife like pain in my abdomen where my uterus was.... that only happens where the appendix was.

3rd question - breathing issues:

3) Does anyone have a hard time catching their breath and even talking when they stand up and walk around? This is another strange thing. I'm wondering if this is related to having an abdominal incision?? When I lay down, I can talk totally fine, breath just fine, and deep breathe just fine. But, when I go to get up, I feel like I suddenly just loose my breath, and I can only breath very shallow.. Once I get up to start to walk, I can breath a little deeper. But, I have found it's really hard to talk when I'm up walking around... I feel I can't get enough breath to talk, and when I do talk, it is really soft because I can't get enough breath to even talk loud. It's so strange. Is this normal????

I'm just trying to figure out if what I'm experiencing is NORMAL for 1 week post op for a TAH and appendectomy. And, also I'm trying to figure out if this sharp pain on my right side is a red flag that something is not right, or if it's normal to have a sharp pain where the appendix used to be.

I just want to heal right. I do NOT want to do something stupid that will cause me to not heal right and then suffer complications down the road. So, I am nervous when I feel all these different aches and pains and wondering if I SHOULD be nervous, or if this is just all totally normal and it just means that my body is healing right.

I'd love anyone's input, if you have any. :-) Thank you!!!!!
could you be out of breath because you are anemic. I know that was a tell-tale sign for me. I am at a 7 on my hemoglobin now and the shortness of breath seems better. Check in to it I hope it helps.
Unread 02-21-2008, 07:41 PM

I was in the ER for 6 hours and they did about every single test you could possibly imagine to look for anything that might remotely cause shortness of breath.... they focused on a blood clot, but they checked other things, include iron levels, and I was fine. They found absolutely nothing wrong... so that is why we all agreed it was pain related.

But, thanks for suggesting that!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register