Bad left-sided pain ~ 3 weeks post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bad left-sided pain ~ 3 weeks post-op Bad left-sided pain ~ 3 weeks post-op

Unread 02-10-2008, 07:05 PM
3 weeks post-op

I had my surgery on Jan. 17th, 2008. I have been having a lot of pain on left side. I went back for my 2 week check up
& the doctor said that this is normal. Today the pain was really bad, I had to starting taking my pain meds again. Does anyone else have these pains. I had an abdominal hysterectomy removing my cervix & uteris. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Bad left-sided pain ~ 3 weeks post-op

Hey, Yarnall.
So sorry you're not feeling great. Have you been overdoing it?
I still have pain, but it's the worst when I try to do too much. Depending on what they had to do inside, this is probably normal as long as you don't have a fever or other symptoms to go with it. As long as your doc knows about it, I'd say take the meds as long as you need them. I'm only 2 days ahead of you, and I had to go back to the prescription meds today after I went to church and moved around too much in the process (I sang two services, did stairs for the first time, etc.)
Everyone is so different, as you can see from all the posts, there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rule about when certain things should happen. My friends who had surgery (both abdominal) before me tell me that they didn't start to feel like themselves again until about 6 weeks, and one who is several months out still says she gets some pain when she does certain things.
I'm with you, though, getting frustrated and anxious to be back up to my old activity level without pain.
Take care of yourself and take it easy!
Unread 02-11-2008, 04:43 AM

hello yarnall-
i was told that the pain i had - which sounds similar to what you are having on your left side is from how the instruments were placed in when they did the surgery- it took me 3 weeks to be able to sleep on my left side. I used a pillow under my tummy area to help with the pain- and when i talked to my dr he said to put a pillow between my legs at nite- that should help some. The pain does go away. I had my surgery the same day you did, just remember everyone heals differently.
katrinamarie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 06:41 AM

Yarnall, We had surgery on the same day, and I, like you have tremendous pain on my left side. I was assuming this was normal because I have really tried to take care of myself. I have a very high pain tollerance, but this has knocked me for a loop. Woke up this morning and I too had to take some pain medication. I went to church yesterday morning and then to a sermon my step-son gave. It may have been just too much, because I sure didn't do anything else yesterday. Seems as if these days I have 2 steps forward in good days, and then take a giant step backwards. Makes one want to tear their hair out. I own my own pet boarding and grooming shop, which is located at the top of my driveway, 1/4 mile away. I walk up there everyday for excercise and want to get in there and do my own work again. The other day was a "ol' poor pitiful me" day, tired of feeling bad. In August I was supposed to have my hysto done, but they found a brain tumor, so I had to get that taken care of first, then on the 17 of Jan I had this done, so I'm just sick to death of feeling bad. Want my old happy-go-lucky life back to be able to do things again. I just have to keep reminding myself, all this sluggishness, pain and discomfort is temporary.
Unread 02-11-2008, 05:07 PM

Thank you all so much. It so good to know that I am not the only one feeling like this. I am like all of you, I just want life to go back to normal.
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:48 PM

Hi..I had my surgery also on the same day as you. However..all my pain is on my right side. Like the other lady said, my doc says its from the instruments used to hold things open during surgery. I would have hoped that after three weeks i would be doing alot better than i am. i have had some really good days but then got over confident and overdid things and ever since ive been sore again and feel like i swallowed a watermelon by the end of the day. Im nursing an infection on one end of my incision too so have been dealing with an on and off fever daily. Im back on my prescription painkillers and had to get another refill today. I wanted to be done with those by now. I guess I should look on the positive side and remember what it was like a couple weeks ago! Take care and know that others are going thru the same things so not to worry too much.
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:35 PM

Hi everyone! I am eight weeks post-op and I too have been having the pain on my left side. Mine is usually in the evening after I sit down. It seems to last for four or five hours at a time or until I go to sleep. Pain killers seem to help a little. I have been much more active these last two weeks. Just ready to get back to normal. (Everyday gets better). Hope you all feel better soon.
Unread 02-12-2008, 03:27 AM

I also have pain on my left side and noticed that using a pillow between my knees helps some and I asked my dr. today about it and he said the same thing that is alright and will go away..lol well I am waiting for that to happen. I am not in dier pain but it does get uncomfortabe at times. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Unread 02-12-2008, 10:57 AM

I'm still having that mysterious "left side pain" too! I wonder what kind of instrument they used to prop us open?!! ... and why it's worse on the left. It was so bad for me last week (especially at night) that I was going to call the dr., but then the last couple of days it seems to have gotten alot better. I'll try the 'sleeping with the pillows between my knees' thing. I did that for a couple of weeks after surgery, but stopped doing it awhile back so I could cuddle with dh easier!! :-)

Hang in there princesses!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register