Is my energy level a false reading? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is my energy level a false reading? Is my energy level a false reading?

Unread 02-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Is my energy level a false reading?

Wendsday will be my 3rd week post op. Most of the time I am really feeling good. I tried to see if I could go back to my part time job of cleaning 2 banks and my doctor said "No Way." I had a LAH lap. assisted vag. with removal of both ovaries and cervix on 1/23. I know that it sounds like a lot but it is really light duty dusting, and floors . I know that cleaning is not to be done, but I am already having to clean my house(at my pace) due to 3 children, a dog and a DH who works in constrution. I have tried to just leave it but looking at dirty wood floors every day is truely bothersome! My 6 week post-op is on 3/5 and I don't think that I can truely wait that long to go back to work. Am I feeling better than I really am?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 04:20 PM

It's great you're feeling so well, but you still need to take it easy--there's a lot of internal healing happening, and you need to let it proceed undisturbed, and not risk straining/stretching/snapping anything. I felt great, too--I even took a long car trip (300 miles) less than a month post-op. And I did fine. but when I went back to work after 6 weeks, the first day was tough--I had aches and pains I hadn't had since the week after surgery. It just showed me that being back in the routine is more stressful on our bodies than we normally realize, and illustrated why it's so important to take it easy. So stop cleaning!!
Unread 02-11-2008, 04:27 PM

Hi Middleone

my advice is to read the checkpoints for weeks 3-4. There are a number of complications which can result from overdoing it, really serious, which can put you back or even be long term problems.

some people heal more quickly than others, and different hysters. have different healing rates, but everyone has hundreds of internal stitches which simply need time - no short cuts.

the cleaning will still be there in a few weeks..you only get one chance to heal right...so rest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 04:29 PM

My doctor told me that he saw no problem with me going back to work after 2 weeks if I wanted to. I have a "desk" job, but work in a stressful environment with up to 12 hour days and a one hour commute each way. SO now I am wondering if that is really OK?

I would definitely wait longer if the job was physical in nature, but is there risk when I will be sitting behind a computer and attending meetings most of the day?

I totally agree that we only have one chance to heal correctly and why mess that up? BUt on the other hand, I really want to go back, and will only get 80% of my pay on disability and that stinks too.
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:41 PM

Please take it easy. I felt wonderful at 3 weeks but feel like I am set back a little right now at one month from doing too much and not resting enough.
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:10 PM

This is an area I need advice on. Wednesday I will be 6 weeks post-op. I was pretty exhausted the first 3 weeks. I felt progressively better the 4th and 5th weeks. So I thought I could snowblow my driveway Saturday. After 30 minutes of walking behind a self propelled blower and taking a short trip to the store, I was out for a 3 1/2 hour nap. The fatigue carried over to Sunday where church and dinner resulted in a 5 hour recliner sentence.

I have no idea how I am suppose to deal with this intermittent fatigue when I return to work. I can't work one day on and 1 -2 days off. I am scheduled to return to work on 2/28. I have long drives for meeting on both of those days plus the overwhelming amount of e-mail and snail mail that has accumulated since I have been gone.

Any suggestions? I don't know what to do. Or am I just being apprehensive for nothing?
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:16 PM

Gloria -

I am not sure what is the best way to go back to work. Thought I did but now I am doubting. I started back half-days at 16 days post-op. I just started full-time on Friday and while I was tired, I did okay. But today, I feel like I could not finish the day. The last 2 hours of my 7 hours I was there, was spent looking at promotional item magazines...

I think I had the right idea of half-days to start but I should have progressed slower. One week, 4 hours...the next, 5 hours...the next 6 hours and so on up to full time. I may still go to my boss and renig a little and hope that she understands. I feel like I am stepping back a little and do not want that.

What type of work do you do?
Unread 02-12-2008, 05:29 AM

Glad I read this post. Tomorrow will be two weeks since surgery and I have been going nuts. I go back to the doc today at 3:00 and was going to request a release. I am now thinking maybe I should ask for 1/2 days to finish out this week instead of jumping in full force. I have a desk job and have been checking emails and resolving a few problems that come up that me coworkers are not sure how to resolve but have been doing that from the recliner.

I have been trying not to take naps and etc during the day to check my energy level, however, I have not been getting up at my normal time either. I got up normal time today and fed the horses myself (DH twisted his back while cleaning stalls for me Sat so I am trying to relieve some of his extra duties without overdoing it myself) and will go to the doc appt at 3:00 (which is an hour drive each way) so I will know my energy level (limits) by the time I get there.

Again, glad that I read this post, as I am rethinking the getting back in the rat race too quickly.
Unread 02-12-2008, 05:51 AM

It's terrific that you feel so good, but that can be deceptive after the surgery. I felt very energetic after lying around for a week or so after my TAH and quickly realized that this was no indication of physical ability to do work. I still had a good recovery but I could have healed even faster if I'd been willing to listen to my body instead of fighting it and trying to be Wonder Woman. Give yourself all the time you need to get better. You've earned it!
Unread 02-12-2008, 07:29 AM

Becky,

I teach at a technical college. I am the only instructor in my instructional area which means I advise over 200 students and manage the curriculum and other administrivia for a 2 year associate degree program. I typically work a 10 - 12 hour day. That's why I am so apprehensive, I do not have a back up faculty member or any other type of plan if I can not return to work full steam. I also had a stroke 2 years ago and don't want to overdo it and end up with another stroke. I see my PCP tomorrow and will discuss the situation with him and see what he says. Keep me in your prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register