My own request! pictures ;-) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My own request! pictures ;-) My own request! pictures ;-)

Unread 02-11-2008, 07:40 PM
My own request! pictures ;-)

Soon after I was wheeled in to the O.R. I asked my doctor if he could save my parts, (uterus, ovaries, tubes) because I wanted to see them for myself, my own way of closure.
well, he replied, 'how about if I take some pictures, nice glossy ones?', I said OK!.

I recall my ds bringing a couple of pic's up to me when I was in my room, being that I was SO groggy from the morpheine, I looked briefly at them and told him to set them on the bedside table, well, when I checked out of the hospital, (1 wk ago today) I forgot them so, tonite I called the hospital and they think they were turned in by housekeeping and on thursday when i go for my 2 wk check-up, I will be getting them.

These parts of mine served me well and i'm pretty sentimental about things like this just as I saved ultra sound pic's from my pregnancies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 08:25 PM

I think it's wonderful that they took the photo's for you. At my Pre Op appt they did an ultrasound and I noticed that most of the women there were pregnant and getting photo's of their babies. I was half joking and asked the lady for a photo of my uterus but she would NOT give me one as acted like I'd committed a crime to ask. But I did notice they put pictures in my file for insurance purposes so when I go back at my next appt I'll ask if they copy one for me. I was very emotional about having the surgery and losing my uterus and maybe that is why they thought I didn't need the photo.
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havaheart66
I think it's wonderful that they took the photo's for you. At my Pre Op appt they did an ultrasound and I noticed that most of the women there were pregnant and getting photo's of their babies. I was half joking and asked the lady for a photo of my uterus but she would NOT give me one as acted like I'd committed a crime to ask. But I did notice they put pictures in my file for insurance purposes so when I go back at my next appt I'll ask if they copy one for me. I was very emotional about having the surgery and losing my uterus and maybe that is why they thought I didn't need the photo.
OMG! by all means go back and insist upon getting the pic's of YOUR uterus, mention HIPPA to them and you'll scare them for sure. the very fact that you were as you state, emotional is reason enough for them to want to take advantage of you. Grrrr i'd give that lady a piece of my mind and tell her it is noooone of HER buisness and demand a u/s pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 07:08 PM

I also requested a picture of my fibroid! I wanted to see this thing for myself. I had asked at my pre-op, he kind of chuckled, I guess not a usual request, but he actually wrote it in my file so he would remember! I finally saw my picture at my 4-week post-op. Didn't ask to keep a copy yet, I was hoping for a digital pic so I could email it!
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:05 PM
pictures

I never thought of asking for pictures! What a great idea. I do recall signing "authorizations" to allow pictures. I don't see my dr until the 4th week post-op. I will ask if any were taken and if I might see them and/or get copies.
Unread 02-13-2008, 09:36 PM

WTG! Ladies, now thats the spirit!
Unread 02-13-2008, 09:52 PM

I'd forgotten to tell my surgeon I wanted photos. So just before surgery when she came to see me for last-minute check-in, I told her, and she said she was sorry she didn't know, so didn't have a camera -- but she would ask the surgical team on my behalf. I crossed my fingers.

The day after my op, my doc told me that one of the residents happily took a bunch of photos for me on her cell phone camera. A few days after I came home, she was wonderfully generous to email them to me.

Some of the photos are my fibroids only, and some are of the entire conglomeration of organs which were removed, in one piece: my uterus, dwarfed by the fibroids, my cervix, and ovaries. Sorry if TMI.

I never had a child, and I carried my fibroids in my belly for so many years that I had to see what had grown inside me. I thought I had only the 2 I'd had for about 25 years, but learned, only from seeing, that my harvest had grown to 7!

I treasure my photos, and will be making some art with the images. It's so life-affirming to "see and make real" what I only "envisioned" and felt inside me all those years.
Unread 02-13-2008, 10:01 PM

siri, yes, it is life-affirming isn't it?
I also feel it is empowering as well ;-)
tomorrow is my 2 week post-op check-up and I will be picking up my pic's at the hospital, silly me, I left them in my room by mistake when I was discharged because I was so anxious to get out of there! lol

BTW, I visted NYC for the first time last november, went to see the Macys parade etc.. stood at a hotel in times square, upper eastside, waterfront district, also visited the upper westside, LOVE, love, LOVED it!
Unread 02-13-2008, 10:18 PM

And here I thought I was the only one that wanted pictures!

Before my surgery my doctor asked me if I wanted pictures and of course I said "Yes". At first I thought he was joking, but afterwards I remember thinking to myself "Gosh, I really would like pictures, after all these parts served me well". Soon after waking up in recovery and being moved to my room, my husband tells me the doctor gave him some pictures. I remember saying "So he WASN'T joking?".

Just wondering if you put something like that in a photo album? LOL
Unread 02-14-2008, 12:03 AM

Heck yea, put them in an album. I have all my pictures over the years in separate albums by "category" I suppose you call it, pets, family, friends, vacation, etc. Start an album called "Me" and stick these right in there!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register