Post Op Depression | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op Depression Post Op Depression

Unread 02-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Post Op Depression

I am 52 years old and had a total hysterectomy on November 12, 2007 (exactly three months ago today) after it was suspected I might have uterine cancer (luckily dodged the cancer bullet). I have been experiencing irritability and depression lately and wondered if there is something like postpartum depression for post hysterectomy patients. I have suffered and been under treatment for chronic depression for many years but my meds didn't help with the increased anxiety. I do not have my ovaries and went through natural menopause (if you call a one-year tour natural) in my mid-40s. For these reasons I was not put on hormones. My psychiatrist increased my buprofin, a second anti-depressant used to boost the first (Prozac). I was blowing off my recent intensified depression as part of a mid-life crisis then realized it all may be related to the surgery. Is it normal to go through this 3 months later?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Post Op Depression

Hi Gregarious!

I never experienced depression in my life until after my TAH/BSO at the age of 50. Since it was a disease I was not familiar with, it took me many months before I realized what it was. During one of my many appointments addressing this concern, my family physician told me, "Doctors don't really know everything that can happen when an organ is removed from the body." I interpreted that to mean that just about anything can transpire. I don't think a "delayed reaction" like you describe seems odd at all. Maybe it took that long for the "shock" of having your body invaded to really hit. Also, I have read here on the site that even after natural menopause, ovaries still produce "some" hormones, so that could play into your equation, too.

Anyway, please know that you are not alone, and I hope that in partnership with your doctor you are feeling like yourself again soon.

Many s to you,
Unread 02-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Post Op Depression

Dear Gregarious
I just wanted to let you know that we are all here for you during this difficult time and that you are not alone. This website and all the sisters here can be of great help to you. I'll be praying for you!
Katrina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Post Op Depression

Gregarious ((hug))
I too have sufferend with depression in my life. It was the one thing I was most afraid of with this surgery to go thru again.( Not fun)
I believe that your body delay in this.
I am one to hold it together while things are haywire, and then after it's all over and done with, I go thruwhat I should have been going thru during it. Does that make sense ?
Because you have struggled with this demon before, stay on top of it.
Call your Dr as much as possible if you are not feeling any better with this.
Also, are you on a hormone patch? This could help you with this also. Hormones play a big part in your body. Maybe this needs to be adjusted?
((hug))
I am hear for you. Let us know how you are doing?
L
Unread 02-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Post Op Depression

Gregarious,

I was diagnosed with depression after my hysterectomy, and it still bothers me now. I was in denial at first. Me? Depressed? I didn't know what it meant to be depressed. I figured it was something hormonal.

The cancer part of it, even though it wasn't cancer, can also have a huge impact, I believe. My depression didn't get diagnosed until after my pulmonary embolism. Between the trama of the surgery, and the fears of the blood clot killing me, it really messed me up.

I wanted to be left alone, but when I was left alone, my mind wandered. Then I would get all upset. I couldn't get excited when I was around my girls. It's better now. I'm on the buprofin for who knows how long. I think it helps a little. My doctor said eventually it will fade away for the most part.

I don't know if this has happened to you, but I have family members that don't believe in depression. They think anyone can make themselves happy at any given time. They think that depression is just an excuse to feel sorry for yourself, and it's not. That was really hard for me to deal with as well.

Anyway, it is common, I guess, after a life altering experience, as my doc called it, to feel sad and alone and all those other wonderful feelings you get with depression. I hope you feel better soon.

Tara
Unread 02-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Thank You for Your Support!

Thank you all for your wonderful words of support. It is easy to feel alone and I am so grateful for this web site! I think increasing the buprofin has helped or at least I think it is helping because I want it to. My shrink says she wants to see me March 5. It's been a while since we visited. I guess we're due!
The funny thing about chronic depression is most people are shocked to learn you have it because you become a master at hiding it. I've had to tone down my Pollyana side but it is this facade that has helped me appear "normal" for many years. This is a dark disease and if I go off my meds I do my best writing and would probably be a famous author by now but it's not worth the risk to my health.
I am highly educated, well-traveled, satisfied with my job as a journalist for the most part, have a lovely very together 16-year-old, a loving husband and a nice home. People who do not understand depression would not understand my nemesis. I am careful to reveal this unpleasant truth to only those I feel will not judge me or be afraid.
Unread 02-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Post Op Depression

Gregarious,
I am glad that you are feeling just a tad better.
At times people find out that I have suffered with major depression, they always seemed shocked! You??? We become pro's at hiding it at times don't we?
I have been on Effexor for 13yrs. It saved my life.
I have gained alot of weight. But, I would rather be "fat and happy"
than " thin and blue"
Many Many famous people have suffered with depression and Bipolar Disorder.
((HUGS)) to you . I hope that you feel better everyday.
L
Unread 02-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Post Op Depression

Thank you QueenBee793! It's always nice to find someone who truly understands this debilitating condition. It's not a situational depression that will pass. It is part of our genetic makeup-genes gone wild! I have had to switch to different meds over the years as my system seems to build up an immunity to each over time. I take comfort in knowing that some of the most brilliant minds in history had to endure mental maladies. If we didn't use drugs to mask our true selves we could probably be creating the next great materpieces! I am highly creative with a reasonably high I.Q. which, as I understand, can often go hand-in-hand with depressive disorders. I just keep telling my self, "Just think, if I wasn't depressed I might be stupid, so get over it!" Ignorance must truly be bliss!!! Happy Valentine's Day!
Unread 02-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Post Op Depression

Gregarious,
You made me laugh with your self talk about if you weren't depressed, You may be stupid. lol. You have a great way of looking at things. I am going to remember that one and share it .
I must be so very intelegent with all of this.....lol
I will have to say, thank goodness for medications. The many people who have suffered (and I'm sure still do) without any medication. That is where all of the beautiful art, writings ect come in to this world.
Are you feeling just a tad better today? I hope you are, Have a great Valentines Day yourself.
L
Unread 02-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Post Op Depression

Hey QueenBee793, I have learned a sense of humor goes a long way in keeping us sane. Yes, I am doing better today. Thank you for asking.
It is snowing in Colorado today. Everything is blanketed in white and very pretty, but slick roads are no fun. I try to look for the good in every day. I am an eternal romantic, optimist and idealist (on meds lol). Can't imagine how much all of these traits would be intensified without the meds. 'Hope wherever you are, you can enjoy the day. It's a good day here to curl up in front of the fire with a good book but that will have to wait until I'm off the clock. We actually have a fire roaring in the fireplace at work but I can't figure out how I would explain to the boss why I am curled up in front of it with my cocoa reading Hary Potter when I was hired to do a bit more than that (lol). :

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register