Appetizer Buffet Party- Need New Ideas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Appetizer Buffet Party- Need New Ideas Appetizer Buffet Party- Need New Ideas

Unread 02-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Appetizer Buffet Party- Need New Ideas

Hello Ladies,

I am having a party and need new appetizers and party ideas. I am planning on about 20 ladies (we call it Red High Heel Night) and the men are not invited! The guys can only drop off and pick up thier tipsy counterparts.

I am tired of doing the same things over and over and most of these ladies have attended my other parties in the past. Ages range from 20 to 60 and all different backgrounds.

I need easy and realatively cheap. I have already checked out the recepie forum and got some good ideas.

Anyone have any new ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:19 PM

Gosh, this sounds like fun. I don't really have ideas, but wanted you to know that I may borrow this concept.

Oh wait, here's a thought. Have you ever been to a cookie party? You could do it like that - where each lady brings an appetizer and copies of the recipe for each lady.

I'll be interested to know what you end up serving and how it turns out.

Sounds like fun.
Unread 02-12-2008, 11:40 PM

Hi Frozen Tundra...I have a free plane ticket. When is the party!!!! I have a few ideas. This I have made before. It's called Baked Cream Cheese Appetizer.

1 4oz. package refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 8oz. package Philadelphia cream cheese
1/2 tsp. dill weed
1 egg yolk, beaten

Unroll dough on lightly floured surface; press together seams to form 12x4 inch rectangle. Sprinkle top of cream cheese with half of dill; lightly press dill into cream cheese. Place cream cheese, dill side down, in center of dough. Sprinkle cream cheese w/remaining dill. Enclose cream cheese in dough by bringing sides of dough together; pressing edges to seal. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet; brush w/egg yolk. Bake @350. 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve w/assorted crackers and apple slices. Serves 8.

If you like super easy, in the crockpot here is another recipe.

Hot Parmesan Artichoke Dip
1.5 cups mayonnaise
2- 12 ounce jars marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2- 4.5 cans chopped green chilies, drained (such as Ortega)
1 - 7 ounce jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
2 cups freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
4 garlic cloves, minced
Toasted baguette slices or assorted crackers

Stir together fist 6 ingredients. Spoon 3 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 4 hours. Stir well before serving. Serve w/baguette slices or assorted crackers. Makes 6 cups.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 09:02 AM

HRHrey,

Last time I did that, we had about 7 queso's, 3 bbq weiners, and 6 or so meatballs. The food really did not work out well. We did have a hoot though!

dschuman99,

uhm...you really want to come to NORTH DAKOTA in march?!?

so far on the menu:

veggie tray w/ranch (standard veggie mix)
Adobe Meatballs
Pate w/crackers
Potatoe Croquets w/Alioli
Dill Cream Cheese stuffed deli meat (similar recipe to yours, but with feta and added spices wrapped in deli meat served cold)
Spinach Queso with chips and baguettes (similar to yours but with spinach, some of the ladies dont really like the artichokes) hey its ND!
Sausage and cheese stuffed jalepeno halves (I have extra mushroom stuffing left over in the freezer and will doctor that up)
Mexican Cream Cheese Wraps

I have most of the standard stuff covered, but wanted something new, and realtively inexpesive (hench no mushrooms, crab cakes, stuffed tomatoes, etc)

Most of the items I can premake a few days ahead, at least the cream cheese mixtures, pate, potato mixture, etc. The only thing i will have to bake is the jalepenos right before the party. I can do the potatoes up to 3 hours before and just keep them warm (since they are deep fried, YUM)

I am just trying to stay out of the kitchen the night of the party since i have this little tiny stupid oven in the new apartment (you can't even get the door closed if you use a large cookie sheet) and the kitchen is at the back of the apartment (think tunnel apartment!) I will have to serve the food in the dining room and bar in the den.

Thanks for the recipies! Now i have to figure out how to decorate!
Unread 02-13-2008, 09:20 AM

Hey Frozen Sister!
I LOVE having parties and know just what you mean about getting sick of the same old appetizers. I often look on Epicurious.com for ideas. One suprise hit that I found there uses baked pancetta as a "cracker" and you put goat cheese and a pear on top. (if you just do a search you can find it) I made a variation with figs instead of pears and put a little port reduction on top. YUM!

Another big hit has been asparagus wrapped in procuitto and baked. You spread some cream cheese or boursin cheese on the proscuitto, and wrap it around the asparagus and bake it.

We often bake a brie, the ladies like that. You take a small wheel of brie and bake it in crescent rolls, like the Sister above describes. I slice the brie in half, put dried cranberries and sliced pecans or walnuts in the middle and on top before wrapping it up..sometimes I put honey or reduced real maple syrup in there too. Serve with crackers. Yum!

Mexican dip is a good....Spread cream cheese in a pie plate, then put canned refried beans on that, then shredded cheese on that. I like the mexican cheese. Then I put sliced olives, sliced jalapenos on that and bake until bubbly. I serve it with salsa and chips.

I will keep thinking. Your party sounds like fun!
Unread 02-13-2008, 09:48 AM

BethP,

I love epicurious! I think that is where I found the potato coqettes with an saffron ailio sauce. I have done the goat cheese on foccia bread with herbs and fruit. I do the asparagus mostly in the summer on the grill. Asparagus this time of year here is a joke! Really expensive and these little limp spears, don't even ask about the artichokes $2.50 each and nasty. Done the brie, I have even used a salmon, crab, herb mixture in the middle, that turned out great! I am doing a mexican spinach queso that will stay warm in the crock pot. I use a mixture of pepperjack and mexican cheese with some rotel and a bit of roasted tomatillo sauce, cilantro, olives, onions, refried beans and cream cheese.

I am trying to not have too many items that have to be baked at the last minute. I think I have the cream cheese items covered also. I was thinking about tomato cups with arugula bacon stuffing with a lemon zest for another veggie option, but the tomatos and arugula are not looking so good. I even passed up the parsley last week, wilted and soggy. If I can find good looking fruit a few days before I might do fruit skewers in orange halfs with a strawberry dip.

Sometimes our options for fresh stuff is not so good here. I am almost ready to move back to a large city just for the groceries!

Guess I will just go overboard on the candles and 'mood' for the party and go with the apps that I have.

Now, how to go over the top with the candles and such? hhmmm...
Unread 02-13-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenTundra
HRHrey,

Last time I did that, we had about 7 queso's, 3 bbq weiners, and 6 or so meatballs. The food really did not work out well. We did have a hoot though!
That would be a problem. I think North Dakota would be a stretch in March, but maybe I will try and duplicate this event in Maryland.

I may have to get back to you on a couple of the recipes for items that you listed. As soon as I am up and about - after 6 weeks, I may start to plan something like this.

Have fun ....
Unread 02-13-2008, 10:03 AM

Frozen Tundra,

Your right...North Dakota in March? What was I thinking You guys have real weather out there! I don't even own a winter coat. Parties are fun. My sister and I host Martini Nights, where we drink martinis and play Pictionary. We have a blast. You can make up your drinks ahead of time too, so you won't have to play bartender. Let me know if you need make ahead drink ideas, both my sisters are bartenders.
Unread 02-13-2008, 10:05 AM

You HAVE to plan a party for after you recover! There is nothing better than a bunch of ladies getting together all dressed up with little fruity drinks! (thankfully I have all hardwood floors, so no carpets to clean up from the spills!) The only rule we have are red high heels, but red socks, sneakers, etc are accepted. The guys drop them off and usuall go play pool or something and normally end up coming back after a few hours and join us and they drive thier ladies home.
Unread 02-13-2008, 02:44 PM

I realize that you started this thread to get suggestions, not to be the braintrust behind my "Recovery Is Over" party, but I would love to have recipes for the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenTundra
Adobe Meatballs
Potatoe Croquets w/Alioli
Spinach Queso with chips and baguettes
I'm not from North Dakota, but artichokes are not on my list either.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register