UTI I think at 4 weeks post op (update) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

UTI I think at 4 weeks post op (update) UTI I think at 4 weeks post op (update)

Unread 02-12-2008, 06:54 PM
UTI I think at 4 weeks post op

I have never had an UTI before but I am pretty sure I have one this evening. I had terrible pain when I had to pee about 6 and I wet my pants slightly before I could get to the bathroom. I changed my undies, hung my head in shame and finished making supper. Just now I had the same thing happen and there is blood on the tissue and the urine in the toilet looks like it is pinkish too.

I will call the doctor in the morning. Is there anything I should do to help myself for the rest of the evening and through the night? What are the chances that I will pee the bed tonight? This is gross.

I had a TVH on January 14th with extensive A&P repairs. I have had a wonderful recovery until this evening.

Downyocean but you can call me Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2008, 06:59 PM
UTI I think at 4 weeks post op (update)

I used to get UTI's quite regularly -- MISERABLE. Cranberry juice helps a lot, but if you do have a UTI, yours may be too far along. Once you start on antibiotics, you should notice a big difference right away.

Not sure about wetting the bed... when I get them, I have the urgency and pain but when I get to the bathroom, it feels like I can't completely empty my bladder. Five minutes later, I feel like my bladder is full again. I've never had a problem with holding it, though.

Definitely call the doc first thing and get it checked out. Hope you feel better!
Unread 02-12-2008, 07:54 PM

Sorry to read this. It sounded as if you had been doing so well. I was feeling twinges in my bladder a few days ago and have been drinking a ton of cranberry juice and that seems to have gone away. I don't know if it was a UTI or if things just feel different there because everything got pushed around during surgery or if my organs are just adjusting to not being crowded by my uterus : )
Definitely follow up with your doctor as soon as you can. UTIs are not fun at all, but they usually are pretty simple to treat and the medicine has always worked pretty fast when I have had them.
Hope you feel better!!
Jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 05:01 AM

Drink lots of water and if you can, cranberry juice.

I had a UTI about 2 weeks post op. UTI's are common after hysterectomy due to the proximity of the bladder to the work they did, the anesthesia and of course, the catheter. They will just give you some meds for it. Works well, but can take a few days to get some relief. My doctor also had me take Uristat (available over the counter) - it's especially made for urinary tract pain/discomfort - kind of numbs it - and works very well - although it makes your urine bright orange and can stain your undies, so wear old ones if you take it!

I kept drinking a couple of glasses of cranberry juice a day for weeks after that, and became very conscious of how much water I was drinking, just for insurance.

Hang in there and definitely do not wait to see your doctor.

Christine
Unread 02-13-2008, 05:53 AM

Hi Kay

It could be a UTI but it could also be a bladder infection. Either way, calling the doctor this morning is the right thing to do. Untreated they can lead to much bigger problems. The suggestion of cranberry juice is excellent. It works by preventing bacteria from sticking to the walls of the bladder where it can multiply and cause infection. Cranberry juice acts like a natural antibiotic to the urinary system. Not all juices do this....but cranberry juice and blueberry juice are two that do. So even with an antibiotic, feel free to drink away! Be sure to let us know how you make out. I'll be thinking of you.

Unread 02-13-2008, 06:19 AM

Hi there!

In addition to the excellent suggestions so far, I would also take a baking soda bath if you have been cleared for baths (usually by 4 wks, its ok). My mother taught me this one for any external issues for your skin "down there". Baking soda neutralizes urine pH wise. When we were kids and we complained of peeing hurting, she got us in the bathtub ASAP.

Throw a 2-3 handfuls of baking soda in running bath water, make sure its in before you get in. Use warm comfortable water, but not sizzling hot like you might use normally.

Hope it feels better soon!
Unread 02-13-2008, 07:29 AM

I've got a call into the nurse to see if I can be seen today.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have not been cleared for a bath yet so I can't try that suggestion yet.

Kay
Unread 02-13-2008, 10:26 AM

I went to the doctor's and gave a clean specimen. I am waiting to see if it is an infection or not. I'll let you know. Thanks for the encouragement.

kay
Unread 02-14-2008, 04:58 PM

Glad to hear they got you in today to have it checked out. Keep us posted.
Unread 02-18-2008, 08:16 AM
It is a UTI--- off to the pharmacy

Just got the call that I do indeed have a UTI and a rather resistant strain at that so I am off to the pharmacy to get started on the antibiotics.

I went in for the urine sample last Wednesday or Thursday and I guess it takes several days to grow the bacteria to identify them. I am so glad that I went the very morning after the symptoms started. I really felt better and I think I may have just let it go if I did not call that soon.

I have my last, or I think it will be my last visit with the doctor on Wednesday and I hope that I am released to do a little more in the exercise area. I also hope that this infection is the cause of me being so incredibly tired all the time this last week. I feel that it was a set back in my recovery as far as my "feeling" well.

Again this is a good example of calling the doctor when you think something may not be "just right". They can't help us if we don't give them all of the facts.

Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register