Does Hysterectomy Increase Your Chances of Thyroid Problems? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does Hysterectomy Increase Your Chances of Thyroid Problems? Does Hysterectomy Increase Your Chances of Thyroid Problems?

Unread 02-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Does Hysterectomy Increase Your Chances of Thyroid Problems?

Okay,

I've been on Estradiol and Prometrium since December. Since starting that, I've gain 10 to 15 pounds and no matter what I do I keep GAINING - not even staying the same but GAINING. I feel hopeless and frustrated. The acne is bad enough. The mood swings seemed to have gotten worse since I started the HRT. I went from having pretty severe insomnia to being able to sleep 12 hours every night and still be tired!

I've ready many posts with women experiencing similar issues and Thyroid testing being mentioned. I do have an aunt and a cousin both with Thyroid conditions, one hypo, one hyper.........could this increase my chance, along with the hysterectomy of Thyroid issues? What is the connection? Is just hormone imbalance?

I know you can't answer those questions, but is there a connection between hysterectomy and Thyroid disorders?

I have an appointment with my doctor today to discuss the symptoms, but I'm curious if I'm missing something........???

Thanks,
Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 05:41 AM

I was already on Synthroid for underactive thyroid at the time of my TAH, 10 days before yours. Since the surgery I too have gained about 10 pounds, even though I'm doing 2 hour workouts 3 times a week and have been since the beginning of the year. In fact, after I started the workouts I gained 8 pounds! Some of it's muscle but not all of it. I don't know that thyroid has that much to do with the post-surgery weight gain we're almost all complaining about; when I was first put on Synthroid my doctor told me that an underactive thyroid doesn't affect weight as much as people believe it does, so getting on the medicine wasn't going to make me magically get thin. I did lose 45 pounds (Most of which I've gained back from the time my tumor started until now) after that but on a low-carb diet.

Synthroid or other thyroid meds mainly help with memory issues, coordination, the ability to concentrate, and other "awareness" issues. The weight problem seems to be something that happens no matter what our thyroids are doing. I do think you need to keep the appointment with your doctor because he/she can help you find out if your thyroid is an issue, and if it is you defnitely need to treat it. I just don't want you to be disappointed like I was when I found out that I couldn't blame my weight problem on my thyroid gland.
Unread 02-13-2008, 05:57 AM

Thanks.

I did know that any weight gain due to underactive thyroid is usually minimal. I have actually been hesitant to even mention it because I don't want to make it sound like I'm blaming the weight gain on anything, I just want an explanation because I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall........not to mention the other symptoms, which is making my life difficult.

I will be seeing my doctor later this morning. Will check in after!!

Christine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register