Waking up sweating | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Waking up sweating Waking up sweating

Unread 02-13-2008, 07:50 AM
Waking up sweating

For the past several nights, all right the past 3 nights, I have woken up in the middle of the night, around 2 or 3 AM, sweating and hot. The first night, I thought it was because I had a dog plastered up against me on each side. The next night, no dog but I still didn't think anything of it. But last night, no dog and this made the third straight night. I don't get hot any other time during the day. Just in the wee hours of the night/morning these past 3 nights.

I am 3 weeks post-op. Kept my ovaries. I have an appointment with my doc in 8 days. Should I worry and see him before then? Or could it just be my ovaries waking up from surgery? Or could it be something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Waking up sweating

Hi bean_dog,

It seems to be a common occurance for most of the ladies on here. I personally only had one night of sweating. I too kept my ovaries so I think it's just what most of the ladies have said... our ovaries are in shock and need time to adjust. I no longer have night sweats but my feet get very hot! Our thermostat is set to go down to 18c overnight but I'm still experiencing very hot feet.
On a more comical note.. DH has been waking up in the middle of the night for the past week sweating!! I told him he's having night sweats in sympathy!!! hehe

I hope this passes for you soon....
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Waking up sweating

Hello Bean_Dog

This is my first reply to anything on this web site so I hope it works!
I also have been having night sweats for the past few nights. I woke at 1:30am this morning drenched!
I was also told your ovaries can go into shock after surgey. Yes, I kept mine. I have also been having hot flashes durring the day but it only affects my face and neck. I suggest you keep notes of everything happening so you can take it to your check up with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Waking up sweating

Just realized my hysterectomy date is wrong! It was in 2008.
Unread 02-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Waking up sweating

I used to have night sweats right before, and the first few days of my period. I had them this week just on the day when I'd have had it, so I guess it is hormone related. Thank goodness I don't have the other part!
Unread 02-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Waking up sweating

Someone told me sweating at night could be caused by drug withdrawl if you were taking strong meds and now aren't. I don't know how true it is but could be why it's only at night and not during the day.
Unread 02-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Waking up sweating

I don't know if this helps, but I wake up around a 2am sweating and drenched if I have sugar or alcohol, like a glass of wine, before bed. I haven't had it happen since my surgery, but I haven't been eating sweets or drinking either.
Unread 02-13-2008, 04:04 PM
waking up sweating

I have had the night sweats in the past before surgery but not as bad as I have since surgery. One night I had to change pjs 3 times. I'm sure it is hormone related but the idea of it being connected to withdrawal from the strong meds may have something to do with it , too. I didn't have the sweats until my second week after surgery and I had not had any strong meds since coming home. They got lighter through the 3rd week and I haven't had any since then. So I hope they will dwindle off for the rest of you, too.
If not, I would talk to your doctor

TVH - 1/11/08 kept ovaries
Unread 02-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Waking up sweating

I had LAVA 1/28nothing left!! and I am still having hot flushes and night sweats after the surgery following with cold 'flushes' and the cycle goes again. It can start as soon as 6pm throughout the night.
Chilowpillow is great, under my pillow. Once the hot flush hits - off goes the pillow or I put the chillow on my pillow and I am on it as much as it covers
then comes the cold. wave... (heated blanket)
For the hot flushes I am prepared:
Ice water near my bed.... it is great!! water bottle with spray ..... (rose water)
and most of all I wear the air-dry (sport clothing) shirt (some wear the shorts or the pant too)
I use to get them really bad after my chemo, so a layer of blankets also help, moving from one layer to another as needed.
I hope this was helpful.... I know it is a tough time.
I struggle with all of these changes and the lack of control
Try to make the most of it spending time at home!! doing the things you can do and enjoy them
Unread 02-14-2008, 01:17 AM
Waking up sweating

I also wake up around 4am drenched. The weird thing is my feet are always cold. Anyway I don't have any ovaries and don't take any pain meds so don't think it is related to that. However, one of the ladies was right in here, a glass of wine in the evening made it even worse. i wonder if it has to do with sugar....I think I'm going to look into that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register