Any suggestions for lower back pain from fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any suggestions for lower back pain from fibroids? Any suggestions for lower back pain from fibroids?

Unread 02-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Any suggestions for lower back pain from fibroids?

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with lower back pain due to fibroids. My surgery isn't scheduled until Apr 10. I have a large fibroid (11.8cm) and an enlarged uterus that were just annoying, but not so painful, so I scheduled the surgery for when it would be "convenient" -haha.

Boy, am I sorry. My back has really started to hurt and I noticed I get indigestion, too. I'm glad I found this site or I would have thought I was imagining some of these symptoms. Other than a heating pad and ibuprofen did anyone have something that worked well for them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 04:50 PM

I found that a small cushion in the small of my back whenever I sat helped a lot - i even used one when out and about, like on buses or planes. Also therapeutic massage, but you don't need an excuse for that
Unread 02-13-2008, 05:07 PM

Hello lisa60 and

We’re happy you joined the Hystersisters community! There is a ton of solid information on the site, and the members have unlimited cyber-hugs to dispense and experiences to share with you at every stage of your journey to good health!

If you haven’t already done so, please do yourself a favor and register to receive Hysterectomy Checkpoints. It’s one of the best features of the site, in my opinion -- designed to accompany you through the entire hysterectomy experience from start to finish, and beyond!

I had my hysterectomy because of low back pain caused by an enlarged fibroid uterus, and I got a prescription from my family physician for narcotic pain medicine...I hope your pain is not as severe as mine was. I remember that waiting for 6 weeks for an opening in the gynecologist's surgery schedule seemed like 6 months!

I hope you find some temporary relief. Please talk to your doctor if the OTC meds aren't adequate.

Many s to you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 06:33 PM

I too had lower back pain before surgery. I truly hope that you will have better luck after it's over. I feel MUCH better now! I used hot baths, heating pads and Tylenol Arthritis Strength for pain pre-op. I know that there are many different options, hang in there!!! We're all here for you!
michelle
Unread 02-14-2008, 04:35 AM

I hear ya! I've been dealing with the same issue. Heat does seem to help some. Have heating pad will travel...little levity here, remember the old show 'have gun will travel"?. Seriously I hope you can get some relief, that's a long time to have to tolerate the pain. Will Doc give you something a little stronger?
Unread 02-14-2008, 11:37 AM

Right now, ibuprofin helps, but I need to remember to take it every 4 hours and not wait until it starts hurting again. It also seems to be worse the week leading up to my period, so it will be better in a couple of days.

I actually found out about the heating pad by accident. About a week ago I got in my car after it had been parked in the sun and realized how good the warm seat, especially the lumbar support part, felt against my back. I went a got a heating pad right away, but I haven't found a pillow that works as well as the car seat. Maybe I sould sit in the car with the seat warmer on?
Unread 02-14-2008, 12:03 PM

Hey you do what you have to do!

I got one of the microwavable heating pads, shaped more like tube pillow. That is really nice because you can ball it up, or however feels comfy. Someone made me one to out of a bath handtowel sewn longways filled with rice! It does as good a job as the purchased one.
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:25 PM

I liked the back arthritis relief heat things, I thought they worked great during the day at work when I couldn't carry a heating pad around.

The rice/corn filled towels are awesome as well!
Unread 02-17-2008, 02:31 AM

Geez I forgot about those heat pad stickies. They ARE great!
Unread 02-17-2008, 06:56 AM

Heat is very helpful and comforting! But I also have prescription drugs for when it gets bad. I have prescription strength Naproxen (though I can't take it after today, because I'm down to 10 days pre-op and have to stop taking naproxen, ibuprofen and aspirin), but I also have Darvocet (a mild narcotic) and Ultram (a non-narcotic pain reliever that acts like a narcotic in your pain receptors; result-you don't get loopy, but you do get good pain relief).

Before I got my 'script for Darvocet, I took a lot of OTC stuff, and it's my doctor's opinion that it's better to take a little narcotic with a little Tylenol than to take a lot of Tylenol! So if you're taking lots of OTC stuff to deal with your pain, definitely discuss it with your doctor!

One more thing, when my fibroids are causing me pain, I try to just be nice to myself in general. Yes, I go for pain relief. But I do other "pampering" things. Lotions that I like the smell of on my arms and legs (which are really dry this time of year anyway!), a cup of hot peppermint tea, a couple chocolate-covered almonds. I try to imagine the kinds of things I'd do for a best friend who was in pain, then try to be my own best friend!

Hugs and good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register