PMS after total hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PMS after total hysterectomy? PMS after total hysterectomy?

Unread 02-13-2008, 09:47 PM
PMS after total hysterectomy?

Hello All,

I really need some uplifting advice here. I have felt so happy since my surgery, since my pain is mostly gone, but today I feel like it's the end of the world. I have not felt this way since before my last period. I feel so sad and can't stop crying today. Everything is upsetting me and making me cry. I've laid in bed all day and just cried. Is is possible to have PMS after a hyst? I would have started my period yesterday if I had my uterus and ovaries.

Is anyone else having this? I hate feeling this way! It makes me so irrational too. My boyfriend called and I did not pick up the phone because I knew I just would have stressed him out with my crying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2008, 12:30 AM

Oh yes it is very possable if you kept your ovaries. I did and I have pms every single month
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:34 AM

Hi Even if you did not keep your ovaries, it is possible to get very emotional because of the loss of hormones after surgery. Sometimes it doesn't happen right away, because we all have some amount of stored estrogen at the time of surgery (it varies a lot by individual) and it can take days, weeks or even a month or two for that to get used up. It could just be a coincidence that this is happening at around the same time you would have had a period.

That said, I have seen a few posts over the years from women who say they experience "phantom" cycles for a few months post op. It could be because your whole life, not just your reproductive hormones but ALL your hormones have been cycling, including the pituitary and adrenal hormones, and those glands weren't removed. They may go through a cycle or two and gradually dampen out to consistent levels.

Either way, I would give your DR a call and let him know. You may need some HRT help. I read in another one of your posts that you are using only progesterone... this is very rarely enough for women in surgical menopause such as yourself (and me ). In fact, as your estrogen levels start to drop, supplementing with progesterone can intensify the symptoms. Since one of the symptoms of too much progesterone is depression, which can be dangerous, I'd really encourage you to call your DR ASAP.

If it helps, I know the feeling. Once when I was fairly newly post op, I was wearing an estrogen patch (generic - don't ever let them talk you into those) which came loose, and I didn't know it. Suddenly out of the blue, I found myself basically picking a fight with my DBF over nothing, and then getting really upset and bursting into tears, which is not me at all. It was his mother who figured out it was my hormones gone haywire because the patch wasn't doing its job. Once I switched to a good quality brand name patch, though, everything was fine once again.

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Pms

Thank you, Surferbabe. I feel more like myself today, more calm. I felt totally irrational and cried for hours yesterday, stayed under the covers. It was awful. I hope that does not happen a lot. I was having sort of pins an needles like pain in my cul-de-sac area yesterday too, where my surgeon did the most work. Thanks for your encouragement and support.
Unread 02-15-2008, 12:10 PM

Hey Andrea,
It is me Ada! I am glad you are feeling better today. Just remember that you have been on such a high since surgery not having pain.... the emotional aspect from it as well as having no ovaries might be causing your some emotional ups and downs....I know hrt is not an option for us endo girls so as you work through getting your hormones straight remember not to be hard on yourself. You can have a day of crying.....it all takes times!
I am thrilled that you are doing so well overall. Let me know when you get your puppy. When do you return to work?
Lots of love,
Ada

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register