Laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy to be scheduled soon | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy to be scheduled soon Laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy to be scheduled soon

Unread 02-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy to be scheduled soon

The doctors office is supposed to call me back today so I can schedule this surgery. I will be leaving my ovaries and cervix. I did just have a biopsy of my fibroids in my uterus on Tuesday and they would have to make sure all is well with that before going ahead with the surgery.

I keep hearing that this surgery is much easier then other hysterectomy's. They told me they could do the surgery in the morning and then probably go home the same day.

I will probably be home alone the next day. Do you think I would be able to take care of myself the day after surgery. I'm planning on making all kinds of food ahead of time and having soups ready so all I have to do is put stuff in the microwave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2008, 12:36 PM

Hi Mchell6789,

I also had a LSH and I am still very pleased with my surgery results and my quality of life today.

I had my LSH at an outpatient facility at 7:30 AM and I went home at 6:00 PM. I just had a light dinner, took my prescription meds and went to bed. The next few days in post-op I just got a lot of R & R. Rested, watched T.V. and went on the computer. I just moved around slowly for a few days. I went back to work at 2 weeks with my Dr's okay and I got a greenlight for all activities including sex and the gym at 6 weeks.

On being by yourself after surgery...making meals is a great idea!! Also, I can suggest wearing very loose clothes that you can get in and out of my yourself. I had drawstring sweats and zippered sweatshirts. No buttons. My biggest difficulty was reaching my feet for a few days...due to swelly belly. I can highly suggest slip on shoes and slippers. No ties. Also, keep a chair by your side of the bed. A chair helped me get in and out of bed by myself.

Also...this might seem like a crazy idea..but one thing I know I could not of done by myself the first 3 days post-op was pick something up off the floor. It would not have been easy. Let say you dropped something. You might invest in one of those pick-up sticks that looks like a cane. My 80-yr. old mother swears by hers. She broke her hip recently and she uses hers frequently..and it really works!!

A big question is driving. I did not drive until the 2 week mark since I was taking prescription meds in immediate post-op. You might check with your Dr. when you can drive. Some LSH ladies drive sooner then me. If you need anything from the store in immediate post-op, you might have a family member or friend call and check in on you.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:08 PM

Thanks for all of the info. I have one of those grabbers around here to pick stuff up off of the floor from having lower back surgery a few years ago I'll have to get that out again.

How much would you say your belly swelled up? Did the swelling go down in a few days.

Also have you had hot flashes after the surgery. I set up the appointment today for the surgery on March 27th and was asking her about hot flashes and she said the uterus does produce hormones also so there is a good chance I will get hot flashes after. I've read some people don't even get them though.

Thanks ahead of time for responding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchell6789
The doctors office is supposed to call me back today so I can schedule this surgery. I will be leaving my ovaries and cervix. I did just have a biopsy of my fibroids in my uterus on Tuesday and they would have to make sure all is well with that before going ahead with the surgery.

I keep hearing that this surgery is much easier then other hysterectomy's. They told me they could do the surgery in the morning and then probably go home the same day.

I will probably be home alone the next day. Do you think I would be able to take care of myself the day after surgery. I'm planning on making all kinds of food ahead of time and having soups ready so all I have to do is put stuff in the microwave.
I did great after my LSH/BSO. I was out with my husband at the pharmacy the evening of the surgery. (I was released at 2PM). The next day we went to the grocery store and later to a movie. (with resting in between). My belly swelled with some gas and tenderness from the incisions, but that was gone in about 3 days. I had surgery on Friday and drove on Monday. I didn't have to take narcotics after the surgery (that all came before

I think you'll be fine to take care of yourself at home, although I would certainly ask for help with errands, etc.
Best of luck!
Unread 02-14-2008, 04:15 PM

Hi Mchell6789,

I had swelly belly for about ten days post-op. When I went back to work at (2) weeks, I was able to wear my work clothes with no problem.

Pain meds prescriptions can vary from Hyster Sister to Hyster Sister. I took my prescription meds for (10) days post-op. My Dr. felt it was important to stay ahead of any pain since he felt it helped with recovery. He requested I finish my pain meds.

Like Klgm..I got around pretty good too. Day (3) I went to the video store and Day (5) I went to the market. My mom drove me both times.

I can also add...you might try some light walking when you feel up to it. I felt the walking helped my recovery and helped prevent me from getting constipated. I can also suggest drinking plenty of water in immediate post-op. I know it prevented me from getting a urinary tract infection, which can be common after a hyst.

It sounds like you might be talking about sleeping ovaries when you mention hot flashes and night sweats. I did not have either in post-op. If the ovaries are retained after surgery...they can sometimes go to sleep in post-op...due to the trauma of surgery. Symptoms can be hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings. Generally, the symptoms can last a few weeks post-op.

Hope that helps. Sending best wishes again.

Mary
Unread 02-14-2008, 04:44 PM

I had the same procedure in December and am glad I had my mom staying with me. Was supposed to be outpatient but I lost lots of blood during surgery. Fibroids were huge. I ended up staying in hospital over night and was released the next day. I was able to walk out of the hospital and got around pretty well. Take your pain meds, it makes it much easier to get off the couch and out of bed. Due to the blood loss, I had fever, headaches, blood pressure issues, etc. This was all unplanned but happended and I was so glad that mom was there to take care of me. Make sure you have a back up plan in case you need one. Also, when you are foggy from pain meds, it easy to forget when you took your last one. It's wise to have someone coherent feed them to you.
Unread 02-14-2008, 04:56 PM

I'm scheduled to be at the hospital at 7:00am March 27th and the surgery is at 9:00am. The plan is I go home in the evening but I guess I'll see what happens hopefully all is good and I can.

I do have 10 fibroids. Not sure how big each one is but they make my uterus about 25% larger then it should be. So hopefully that doesn't cause too much bleeding. I'll just bring stuff like I am staying over night in case I need to.

I'm glad I caught the fibroids now though. It sounds like they can just keep getting bigger and bigger and then they have to shrink them down with lupron before doing the LSH from what I have read on this board today. My doctor says mine aren't too large for this surgery so I'm glad.
Unread 02-14-2008, 05:04 PM

I didn't mean to make you worry, I'm sure everything will be fine. I think I was the exception and not the norm. It's always good to be prepared. Even with the problems that I had, it wasn't too bad and I have no regrets. I feel so much better! I recovered quickly and was out of the house running errands and getting my hair done in 5 days. And I only have 2 tiny scars that are barely noticable!
Unread 02-14-2008, 05:11 PM

Oh you didn't make me worry. I like to hear all of the experiences so I can be prepared in case you know. Actually talking to you ladies has made me a lot more comfortable with the LSH surgery. It doesn't sound bad at all.
Especially compared to my spine surgery I had 3 years back.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register