One week post op!!! Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One week post op!!!  Question One week post op!!! Question

Unread 02-14-2008, 01:15 PM
One week post op!!! Question

Hi! today is one week post op for me. and i feel GREAT! (lvah)
I went in on thur and got out friday night. I didn't use any pain meds once i got home and I went to work on monday! The only minor problem I'm having and i wonder is this is normal is that I havent been able to have a BM on my own. I've had two in a week but that was thanks to laxitives. Did anyone else take awhile before that went back to normal?
Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2008, 02:05 PM

Hello, and welcome! I'm glad you found us.

Did your DR tell you it was OK to go back to work so soon after your surgery, and that it was OK to use laxatives? Most of us are told that we will be home for four to six weeks, at least, and that while stool softeners are great to use, laxatives are a

The average time to have the first BM around here seems to be about five days; it was that long exactly for me. I didn't use any laxatives, and haven't since (it's now been six years). I did take a stool softener with every meal for several weeks. I drank warm prune juice in the morning and hot strong coffee mid-day (that works great). I ate bran muffins and prunes and applesauce. Ice cream also works for me, for some reason.

I would be very careful this early in your recovery... call your DR and ask about going back to work so soon, and ask about whether or not you should be using laxatives. You only get one chance to have an uncomplicated recovery, and healing of the tissues inside takes a good six months or so no matter how good you're feeling outside. Please take care of you!

s,
-Linda
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:13 PM

My goodness yes! I didn't have a BM, even with laxitives until 8 days post op. After that it took a while for things to get working without the laxitive, but then mine always react to stuff, let alone being poked and prodded about!

Glad you're feeling so good too

Note: the laxitive was prescribed by my doctor (Lactulose)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2008, 02:21 PM

I missed a BM for just one day after my surgery, but this is because I have IBS-D. My doctor recommended a stool softener so I wouldn't have to strain at all. He told me if I became constipated to take Milk of Magnesia, but I never needed it. I think most doctors believe laxatives are a no-no.

Glad you are recovering so quickly :-)
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:57 PM

I took Milk of Magnesia for probably the first 10 to 12 days, but not full doses, just a table spoon or two once or twice a day to keep things easy to pass. I'm still taking softeners and eating a lot of fiber so things are moving along promptly.
I'm glad to hear you are doing so well, you are definitely in the minority to be back on your feet so soon!
Unread 02-14-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy_owl
I took Milk of Magnesia for probably the first 10 to 12 days, but not full doses, just a table spoon or two once or twice a day to keep things easy to pass. I'm still taking softeners and eating a lot of fiber so things are moving along promptly.
I'm glad to hear you are doing so well, you are definitely in the minority to be back on your feet so soon!
Is it safe to keep taking the softeners? I am still a little worried about straining. Last week (exactly one week post-op) I strained a little and made myself bleed a little bit.
Unread 02-14-2008, 08:49 PM

SassyCat,

I did not continue taking stool softeners after I was discharged. However, my PCP just put me on them as I now have to take iron supplements to deal with extreme fatigue. I have gone on and off of them as I need to per my Dr.
Unread 02-14-2008, 09:10 PM

Yes, like others have said, i didn't have BM till 6 days post op- only took softeners- your colon is the last organ to "wake up" so it is normal , it takes awhile to get back to normal---I would nix the laxatives.....
Take it easy, drink lots of fluids and walk, walk, walk.
Unread 02-14-2008, 09:27 PM

Miralax worked wonderfully for me. I also drank plenty of water and walked small trips around the yard several times a day.
Unread 02-15-2008, 09:23 AM

My doc is the one that told me to take a mild laxitive and i've only taken it twice otherwise i'm on the softeners. As far as going to work so soon i have a very easy job at a desk and can take breaks as often as i want. I don't even feel like i've had anything done. Other than the little pink discharge and the BM problem i feel 100% back to normal. It's amazing how good i feel. I never expected this at all and i'm so glad i got to work when i did becuase i really love my job. I have my first post-op in 2 weeks so i'm hoping he will give me the ok to resume other activites. I miss my excersies.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register