Sister Just Diagnosed With Ovarian Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sister Just Diagnosed With Ovarian Cancer Sister Just Diagnosed With Ovarian Cancer

Unread 02-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Sister Just Diagnosed With Ovarian Cancer

Life just keeps getting more complicated for my family. My younger sister (30) was just diagnosed today with Ovarian Cancer. They did a scope (can't remeber the exact name she told me....she's goign to call me later with more details) & a biospy & found it then.

I have been having my own issues & am supposed to be going in for a D&C, Ablation & a Uterine Biopsy. Before I foudn this all out about my sister I was thinking I wish they would do some kind of scope so they could look all around. My US on Tuesday showed normal ovaries so I am guessing I have nothing to be concerned about as far as my ovaries are concerened. Should I ask for a scope anyway? Can I even ask my Dr. to do yet another test? My sister has had similar problems but much less bleeding than I & she has lost weight. Also her Dr. did a CA125 (it was 600 something) & mine has not done that or even mentioned it. I am REALLY worried about my sister & myself. Can I ask for the scope? Am I overreacting????
Help!!!
Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2008, 05:21 PM

I can really feel your concern and fear. If you are not already, I think you and your sister should go pronto, run don't walk, to a great gynie/oncologist in your area. From what I've read and observed over the past three years, investigative procedures when cancer may be suspected and in your sister's case is highly likely, can only confuse the final staging and diagnosis. A gynie/onc is the only one qualified to diagnosis and stage properly a gynie cancer. That is not to even mention the additional surgeries/procedures required because the intial one was inadequate. Please for the sake of both your health and future, see a gynie/onc.

With both of you dealing with serious conditions now, do you know if you have a family history? I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I can imagine your family is reeling with the news. But as we say, take deep breaths, go one step at a time, get the facts and then a plan. It will all seem more manageable at that time. God bless you both.
Unread 02-14-2008, 06:38 PM

dear pam...i agree with faithfirst...both you and your sister should see a gyn/onc to determine what tests to have and apropriate treatment and/or surgery. when my family dr. found out that i had ovca, she wanted me to tell all my sisters that they should inform their own family dr. and have annual ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasounds done, even though they don't have symptoms.

the ultrasounds, along with a couple of other symptoms showed a "solid structure" on my ovary, which precipitated my hysterectomy, which in turn confirmed the ovca diagnosis.

i don't think you're overreacting at all, but please, before undergoing all those procedures, see a gyn/onc. good luck and so sorry to hear of your sister's dx...hope you will update us as to how you both are doing. take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2008, 07:55 PM

I totally agree with the other ladies. You definitley want the best when it comes to your health.

I am so sorry you and your sis (and the rest of your family) are having to face this. I'll keep you all in my prayers.

monami
Unread 02-14-2008, 09:47 PM

You have received wonderful advice here.

Good luck
Unread 02-15-2008, 06:34 AM

My sister lives in Indiana & I live in Texas. She already has appt. this afternoon with a gyn./onc. in Indianapolis......she lives near Indy.

I am going to call my ob/gyn today & talk to her & let her know of my situation. I know I WILL NOT let her open me up if she even suspects cancer. When all this junk started with me she mentioned that it could be lots of diff. things one of which was cancer. But she really hasn't given me a defiinate answer as to what she would be looking for. She never suggested a scope, I just thought maybe I need one to look around. I also don't knwo why I have not been given a CA125 test. Wouldn't you think I should have had one by now??? That's what alerted the Dr.'s of my sisters issues....along with side pains & bloating & weight loss. Has anyone asked for a specift test, am I out of line asking?

I promise I won't let her open me up until I can concult with a gyn/onc.
Pam
Unread 02-15-2008, 06:58 AM

dear pam...you can most certainly ask your family dr. to order a ca125 test, keeping in mind that it is not necessarily a good diagnostic tool but it might help to put pieces together to determine whether there was a suspicion of ovca, especially since your sister has been diagnosed with it. i had the ca125 test done before every other chemo treatment and for my first 3 mo. followup, but it has not been ordered for my next 4 mo. followup on apr. 2/08. i just had my yearly physical with my family dr. and i asked her if she would order the ca125 test for me, mainly for my peace of mind as i would like to monitor my condition in some way. i had to pay for it myself...it only cost $35., so a small price to pay for peace of mind (and i also realize the results can cause a false sense of security as they can fluctuate depending on other things going on inside, false positives/negatives, etc., but i'm willing to live with that.)

i'm not sure what you mean by a scope. was it the transvaginal ultrasound your sister had? i'm sure you could ask your dr. to order that test as well. i didn't know there was a test that could actually confirm ovca...i thought it could only be diagnosed during surgery to examine and remove whatever was suspected to be cancer. maybe someone else could answer that question.

in any case, if your sibling is diagnosed with a certain cancer, i don't think it's unreasonable to take every precaution to have an early and timely diagnosis of your own condition. symptoms are so vague...they could be attributed to anything...so best to look at every angle. best wishes to you and your sister.
colleen.
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithfirst
With both of you dealing with serious conditions now, do you know if you have a family history?
We have no family history of ovarian cancer but we do have a fmily history of breast cancer.....2 aunts & and a grandmother.

Many blessings,
Pam
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:31 AM

My sister went in to have a fibroid removed that was bothering her. She has had it for at least 9 years & dealt with it for years. He Dr. wannted to have it removed because of the excessive pain & bloating she was having. While the Dr. was in there, she didn't like the look of her right ovary so she did a biopsy & that's how they found out. She sort of suspected something cause her CA125 was so high. We didn't know to see a gyn/onc for this kind of stuff. Her Dr. did though refer her to a gyn/onc that she saw yesterday while she was still in the hospital. I don't know much about the treatment for her yet but when I do I am sure I will have lots of questions.
Thank you all for your advice & support!
Many blessings,
Pam
Unread 02-16-2008, 02:17 PM

dear pam...thanks for clearing that up about how your sister was dx. so she had surgery to remove the fibroid and a biopsy on the ovary? do you know if the dr. did any other procedures to check if the cancer had spread? does this mean your sister will have to undergo another surgery performed by the gyn/onc? i was in the same boat in a way...i didn't know there was any such profession as a gyn/onc so an obs/gyn performed my 1st surgery which was supposed to be a t.a.h. of course, due to complications once inside, he had to discontinue the uncompleted hysterectomy. that is when i was referred to a gyn/onc for further surgery.

i hope you can get more details of your sister's situation so that you can avoid any additional problems due to complications, surprises, etc. please do consult with a gyn/onc, esp. since you now know of your sister's ovca. you may very well not have cancer, but your problems warrant seeing the best in the profession. good luck and best wishes to you.
colleen.

p.s. while you're at your dr., why not ask for the ca125 test? just a suggestion.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register