Yellow Discharge Normal/Infection? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Yellow Discharge Normal/Infection? Yellow Discharge Normal/Infection?

Unread 02-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Yellow Discharge Normal/Infection?

Hi Everyone!

Well...I'm just over 5 weeks from a TAH. Last week I noticed a little yellow discharge and thought nothing of it because it stopped. Today (Valentines Day) My husband and I went out for Dinner and I when I stood up to leave I felt something "come out". I felt like I was starting my period. (which I knew was impossible) On the drive home I could feel myself leaking. I got home and had a lot of yellow discharge. I cleaned up, changed my panty liner (Thank God I still wear them) and sat on the sofa and watched TV. I wasn't feeling good Cause I felt bloated from dinner. As soon as I stood up again I felt the discharge coming out again!!!

That said....Did anyone else ever have this happen? I feel "OK" although I don't really know what "OK" is anymore. No fever, No chills...... Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2008, 10:10 PM

I don't think it would hurt to give your Dr. a call. I would still call even if you are not running a fever or having much pain. Does it have an odor? I am sure taking a sniff is not what ya had in mind for Valentines day. Sorry I am 7 weeks out tomorrow, and never felt a discharge like that. Of course, I am only one person and one experience. If your gut feeling says it feels a little off, then trust it.

Best Wishes and let us know how you are.
Unread 02-14-2008, 10:11 PM

Dear Sick and Tired
According to my Dr a little discharge is normal and could be attributed to sutures dissolving. Now if it's thick and smells like something crawled up there and died than it could be an infection (no offense)
I had a similar probem today but my discharge was sometimes pink and sometimes had a yellow or darker tint. And the smell was not a pleasant one. I called my Dr and he wanted me to come in and be examined today. I was actually embarrassed for my Dr. to smell that. And after he did the exam he felt it was a yeast infection probably due to all the antibiotics I had to take for that bladder infection.
So now I have to insert some type of med up in there for the next three nights because I am allergic to Flagyl which is what they would normally prescribe. This was my first exam since my TVH on Jan 21 and it wasn't as bad as I feared.
I would call your Dr just to be on the safe side. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Katrina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2008, 10:12 PM
I don't think that's normal....

Hmmmm, that sounds a little strange. Nope, I have had nothing like that. Just completely clear and nothing really coming out of me, 3 1/2 wks post op. Could you call and speak to your doctor's nurse about it? They may need to take a culture to be safe. I only had light pink bleeding the first 2 days after surgery and that's it. It doesn't hurt does it? Hope everything's ok! Best wishes to you!
Unread 02-14-2008, 10:20 PM

I have a little bit of a smell but not real bad. I will call the Dr. tomorrow and see what he has to say. When I was in for my 4 week post opt apt. I told him about pain when urinating and he did a culture. He never called and that usually means not infection but I guess I could of gotten one since then???? I'l let you all know!!
Unread 02-14-2008, 10:28 PM

Did he just do a urine culture or a vaginal culture? He might need to do a vaginal one. Have you used any products such as douches or anything that may throw off the ph in your vagina since surgery? Or do you easily get yeast after taking anti-biotics? I do every single time! I've been stuffing my face with yogurt and taking acidophilus since surgery so that would not happen and I've been lucky. Just had a little itchiness at first, but it went away.
Unread 02-15-2008, 06:14 AM

sickandtired43

I'm sorry you've experienced this but I can certainly relate ~ in fact, I started a similar thread myself at about 5 weeks post-op!

My doctor told me that it was dissolving sutures and I've read the same in other threads since. If you try a "search" (click third from the right on the purple bar, towards the top of this page) you should be able to find those posts.

But, please, make that call to your doctor anyway, in case there's something else going on ~ especially if there's a bit of an odor.

Will you let us know what you find out? Take care!

Unread 02-15-2008, 08:08 AM

After all I have been through all I can say is call your Dr and have it checked out. Any new syptom is worth at least a phone call.

Good Luck,

Starbgirl
Unread 02-15-2008, 08:14 AM

I agree with starbgirl. I had a hematoma that thankfully drained...but whatever didn't developed into an infection that had to be treated. Please call your doctor and they can decide if they should do a culture or not.
Unread 02-15-2008, 10:14 AM

I have a similar discharge in color but have had it from the get go. I think it has to do with my bladder repair. I did have a urine culture two days ago and am waiting for the result to see if I have a uti. It has never been much more than a spot on the panty liner.

This is the first stumbling block that I have had--- the pain when I pee a few days ago. Also have the sharp pain near the kidneys so I am pretty sure that I have a uti. Still just have to wait and see.

Good luck on discovering your problem. Do call the doctor. That is why we pay them the big bucks.

Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register