Drs. Instructions if any for TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Drs. Instructions if any for TAH Drs. Instructions if any for TAH

Unread 02-15-2008, 05:03 AM
Drs. Instructions if any for TAH

I was reading posts this morning and realized we have such differing opinions from our docs as to what we can and cannot do. I would like to hear from others that had abdominal surgery as to what they were told. I had posted about post op pain and some said maybe I was doing too much.
MY told me I could do stairs if I took them slowly.
He said I could drive (automatic) after 2 wks. However, no lifting , no and I am sure no Okay ladies, please tell me your restrictions with time frames. Thanks
Pattie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2008, 05:26 AM

I was told, exact words, not to "exaggerate". What this means is take everything slow, and strictly no lifting or stetching to lift for at least 6 weeks. Walking is okay, and stairs have to be because it's the only way I can get to the bathroom or to bed
Walking was encouraged, but so was the wise advice "listen to your body". If your body says enough, don't push it and if it says tired then go take a nap. Seems to all be working for me..........although I have unloaded and loaded the dishwasher with no significant impact.
Unread 02-15-2008, 05:28 AM

Hi Pattie,
I was told stairs only once a day for the first week. Stairs slowly after that.
Nothing in the vagina until checked at 6 weeks. (at week 4 now)
NO LIFTING anything heavier than a full water glass until checked at 6 weeks.
No driving for 2 weeks. (Because of seat belt)
No baths
The big issue is to keep incision from opening, prevent infection, allow internal healing of cuff. He said if I didn't do it in the hospital, I couldn't do it at home. (examples: laundry, dishes, cleaning, etc.) I am to rest, walk and eat. I had check ups at 1 week (staples out) and 3 weeks (check incision healing) and will have another at 6 weeks, and that one is for internal check of the cuff.
Hope this helps. Best wishes!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2008, 05:35 AM

I forgot about the baths... he did say just showers. I have done dishes with my DH. I don't put them away, just dry and set them on the table. I have also been cooking, although he gets the pots/pans out for me. When I am in the car, I put the small pillow on my incision with the belt outside of that.
Unread 02-15-2008, 06:18 AM

My said:

No lifting

No :steer: until after the follow-up appointment (which was 18 days post-op)

No lifting

She specifically said to do the stairs once a day until the follow-up appointment (I had explained that I live in a split foyer and only need to go to the lower level to do laundry) - after the follow-up she said go up and down as much as I want.

No lifting

No unless someone else pushed the cart and did the lifting.

No lifting

No

No lifting

and take naps

No lifting

No

After the follow-up she said that I could do whatever I felt like doing except - lifting. Notice that there is a theme here - No lifting. She also said to make sure that I continue to nap.

I go back on February 20th. I have tried to follow the orders of my . We'll see if I was successful.

By the way - she really did say No lifting in between every instruction.
Unread 02-15-2008, 06:54 AM

Renee:
I thought the treadmill would be like walking (provided you don't put it on fast speed or incline), but my doc said he didn't want me at the health club, too many germs.
Unread 02-15-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattieO
Renee:
I thought the treadmill would be like walking (provided you don't put it on fast speed or incline), but my doc said he didn't want me at the health club, too many germs.
That actually makes sense. I have a treadmill at home (it's former use was to hold laundry etc). But I was told not to use it either. I was thinking that walking on it would be good and since it was cold and I still had my catheter, I figured I could go ahead and use it. My said that since I didn't have 100% of my strength and reaction ability, she did not want me to fall. Valid point.

I have taken a couple of spins on the since she said that I could do what I was comfortable with.
Unread 02-15-2008, 07:15 AM

Hi Pattie!

My discharge papers said the following:
-no tub baths - until 2-3 weeks
-walking as tolerated
-steps - 1-2 flights if necessary (I have to go up 12 steps to either go up to bedroom or to the basement, but it did not feel uncomfortable to do so. I imagine the ladies with posterior repairs would state otherwise. I remember my episiotomy years ago, felt like my innards were going to fall out and each stair step was agonizing.)
- no heaving lifting - 2-3 weeks - Someone said if it takes two hands to lift, its too heavy. You will "feel" what's right as your belly should warn you.
- Vaginal rest - 6-9 weeks. (doc just told me 2 more weeks yesterday, surgery was 1/8)
- No driving 2-3 weeks or while on narcotics. Doc told me 3 weeks at first post-op. I realized that this was mostly to keep me safe at home and to keep me from trying to do too much. I have had no discomfort from driving other than it was a little daunting to get in and out of the car in a speed other than slo mo.

Do putter about the house doing all those little things you've been meaning to do, but DO space them out with rest cycles in between. Don't do one thing after another. If feel up to cooking dinner, then do so, but have someone else cleanup. Or go relax for at least 30 minutes before doing the dishes. Twisting reaching bending are the activities that will make your belly most sore, so if you can keep those to a minimum you will be better off.

I hope this helps you!

hiberbear
Unread 02-15-2008, 07:54 AM

I got virtually no instructions post-op, aside from no lifting. I climbed stairs as often as I felt able to do it, usually severeal times a day, and drove a week after surgery (short distances, and I wasn't taking any pain meds. The seat belt never bothered me). Mostly, it seemed like taking it easy, and being very careful not to overdo/strain anything is the bottom line, but that doesn't mean immobility.
Unread 02-15-2008, 10:15 AM

My doctor's instructions from the hosptial until my 2-week f/u were:
-No pushing or pulling
-No driving
-No lifting anything over 15lbs
-Showers only
-I could use the stairs as much as I needed
-I could walk as much as I wanted

After two weeks he said:
Cleared for everything at four weeks with no lifting restrictions (even after I explained what I did for a living), see you in six months.

-Prior to going back to work, I lifted very little.
-I did not drive until five weeks
-I did not go back to work until six weeks (should have waited eight, hurt myself lifting, all better now!).
-Sex was out of the question until week eight. Sorry DH.

I think my doctor has been reading here and does not believe in the Princess theory...but I ran with it and was going to have one recovery.

bitterpill

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register